AutoExpress Tests Nine H7 Bulbs and One LED Bulb

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The test was published online Nov. 2016

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/76760/best-car-headlight-bulbs-group-test

The continuous improvements to bulb tech have seen top performers claiming at least twice the light of standard bulbs at some point in the beam. But are the claims justified? We tested nine in Philips' light tunnel in Aachen, Germany, to find out…

Topping this test is the new RacingVision from Philips, with a clear margin over Ring's plus 130 per cent bulb. Close behind is the GE Megalight Ultra from Halfords...

Philips has developed LED versions of the popular H7 and dip and beam H4 lamps...These produce a beam that meets current rules for filament bulbs. In our test, the rating was on par with the winning RacingVision, but the light was whiter and much broader. It wasn't as smooth, though; you could see the LED chips in one section...Philips would do well to pursue these and get the law changed to allow their use in Europe...

The Philips X-treme Vision +130 had unimpressive performance.

jzchen

Enlightened
What I found strange, rereading that article right now as I've read it before, is that they switched from a VW to a BMW to test the LED bulbs? Wonder why???

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
That Philips H7 LED hasn't actually been released for sale anywhere, that I'm aware of, so they were testing some kind of a prototype. And the fact that they didn't test it in the same lamp they tested all the other bulbs in means the numbers they got for it are not comparable. It also means the same thing that's true of all these "LED bulbs": they might work OK in certain specific headlamps, but not in all/any headlamps that will physically accept them. Assumably Philips either supplied the prototype already installed in the BMW headlamp and said "Don't take it apart" or they said "We'll let you test this and publish the results if you test it in this specific headlamp". Also, all we know about this "test" is that AutoExpress liked what they saw. The measurements they made, as described in the how we tested them section, don't even come close to determining if this setup gave anything like legally acceptable or safe performance. Same problem with some of their other claims in this round of "tests". They say the Philips +130 put out "too much glare". Oh yeah? What does that mean? How much glare is that? How did they measure, and where? They don't bother telling us.

Years ago the AutoExpress tests were really good. They tested at a collection of valid seeing and glare locations, provided the results for each of those locations, tested the filament position of each bulb and gave it a pass/fail on that basis...very useful stuff. Now they have this arbitrary "We measure at these three points, double one of the measurements, and that's how we get our 'beam' rating...oh, and we might measure for glare...somewhere...without telling you how, where, or what we consider too much". Bunch of useless baloney.

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

harro

Enlightened
A pity these 'toy' suppliers dont bother to tell prospective purchasers of their junk, that the flood of light they spew out onto the foreground, actually causes your eyes pupils to close down. Thus, any light that does get out to where its meant to be, appears that much dimmer because of our compensation for the bright foreground. Quality Philips or Osram halogen for me any day.

Just my $.02's worth,

:)

Latest posts