Dimmable G25 Warm 40 or 65W/Equiv no buzz/flicker?

joelbnyc

Enlightened
Any recommendations for Bulbs with the following specs?

G25 Frosted Globes
40W or 65W
Dimmable
No Buzz or Flicker
Warm Color Temp, similar to incandescents.

I just upgraded the rest of the room to Dimmable Philips "Warm Glow" BR40's and A19's, but the Philips G25 40W Warm Glow bulbs are kind of ugly, a smaller globe size than a normal G25's, and not frosted. They look kind of cheap when sitting at the table if one happens to glance up.

I tried the GE Warm Dimmable G25's from Target, they looked fine when off, but buzzed and flickered on the dimmer switches.

I've read that one can buy dimmer switches designed specifically for LED's and this can help with the buzz/flicker issues, but I'd like to avoid having to do that. The Philips 65W BR40's have a pretty awesome dimming on our current, non-LED-specific dimmer switches, so I'd think I could find the same with G25's.

Here are the 2 fixtures:

fixtures1_zpsho7uusjj.jpg

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Subscribing, because this seems very similar to the same question I just posted, although I already have the EcoSmart "vintage" G25s just want to know if they can be made to dim acceptably with any available dimmer, or what dimmer/bulb combination I should replace with.

joelbnyc

Enlightened
I am using the Lutron SCL-153P-IV Skylark CL 150-watt CFL/LED/Incandescent Dimmers on the switches I swapped out from traditional incandescent switches. They have a dial behind the plate to adjust the minimum setting, which is good for LEDs. But they do have buzzing in one room currently hooked up to 3x Philips Warm Glow R20 LED bulbs, so I guess they aren't perfect. Could be just old wiring in the house though, not sure. I do recommend these switches in general though, the dial to adjust the minimum setting is great. I imagine the other styles of Lutron LED specific dimmers have the same sort of dial. Although the old incandescent 600 watt max dimmers work okay on Philips LED's in the rest of the house, no plans to replace them.

As for the G25's, no solution yet. I tried vintage style and that just looked weird indoors, way too orange-ish. So I love my Philips Warm Glow BR40, BR30, A19, and R20's, great value and dim just like incandescents. Someone thought maybe they have two separate banks of different-temp LED's internally, to match incandescent temperature shift, which would be a cool trick.

But Philips needs to do some work on their "dimmable" warm glow G25's, they might look okay in a bathroom vanity but they should better match the dimming of the rest of the series.

Last edited: