Backpack Hot tenting storm preparation.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
On the move all day with a heavy pack then heard a storm was blowing in. So what to do? Probably get the heck out of the woods but that's not going to happen. There are decisions to be made and the pack isn't getting any lighter.

When living out of a pack much like normal everyday life basic decisions can have a cascade effect on everything which follows. Do I stop now. Do I move on. Do I sleep here. Do I risk a night hike. So here was issue. Do I stop or do I continue. I know a spot 8ish miles away which has an open field at the intersection of two rivers. However that will mean a night hike and setting up in the dark. It will also mean I gotta hike 8 additional miles on the return trip and don't know what the conditions will be then. Still an open area means a reduction in widow maker risks. I decided to stop and time would tell if this was the right thing to do. One never knows if picking A over B was smarter as if everything goes right it could have worked out either way however if wrong you will know it.

And we are down.

A hot tent shelter camp runs on water, wood and power. I am not certain when the storm will hit. The forecast was for rain, freezing rain, snow and most troubling 50 mpr winds. So looked for a spot with a lower widow maker risk. Didn't see any obvious risks but there were tall trees around camp. Basically rolling the dice but it's easier to see stuff even at dusk than pitch black. Speaking of dark one thing I like to do is mark my camp. Makes it easy to see in all directions for a good distance when foraging for wood and water.

The next decision, should I setup the shelter or gather resources. The pros to gathering wood at dusk means I can see more but should the weather move in I will be setting up during a storm. As it felt dry went for the wood. I prefer wood off the ground and can be picky on the type. This time I will avoid Hemlock but target Black birch, Tulip Poplar, Maple and Oak. Looks like a dead standing Black birch.

Then found another one!

Working up a pile of sticks. I want enough fuel to last for days without needing more. Wood and water are interchangeable as the energy from the wood will make the water potable however have tabs as well.

With wood gathered I setup the shelter. My logic being should the weather moved in the wood would be near the shelter. If it seemed more obvious that inclement weather was an immediate concern setting up a shelter or tarp takes priority.

With the shelter up time to process the wood.

Yes a saw can cut flesh as well. If there is a way to bleed I will find it but that said using any edge tool is a risk IMHO.

Time to get the water.

Water back at camp. This is my maximum water capacity minus the kettle. The water looks so clean but there is no reason to risk anything.

Processed wood placed near and under the stove so the energy from the fire would help dry it even more.

For storm preparation will also store long cut wood inside the shelter. The long cut could then be processed inside the shelter during the bad weather. If the weather never happens and then decided to move on I don't have too much invested in this fuel. It takes a good deal of work to fully process wood for a small firebox. Worth it but no point in overworking.

Sleeping area.

The gear is also now inside.

Time to burn some of that wood and boil water.

Unusual food items. Red lentils and miso soup (even have extra sea weed) and funky biscuit like cookie things. Normally I don't eat those cookie things but burned big calories carrying that heavy pack all day.

I like the glowing shelter thing. Works for marking the camp once the tent is setup.

The next day and no storm yet. Maybe I could of made it to the other area? Well that's unexpected but time is running out. Going to replace used water and wood.

Scouted the area with the ultimate survival kit. Bic, pepperoni, hat and gloves.

Some more wood!

My magic trick.

Once piece of wood.

Turned to 4 pieces of wood.

Then 8. It's magic!

Fully stocked with wood again.

What about the power. So what eats power in camp. Lots of stuff it would seem.

And here is how I feed them. Most of the gear for this outing uses 18650 so can move batteries around. The Nitecore F1 charger/powerbank can use those batteries to power the cellphone. The Olight UC can charge batteries via the powerbank aka the AA NiMH and 18650 Lithium ion. Basically all of the energy can be moved around. I can also charge everything via solar but have so much extra power that's pointless for this outing so didn't bother packing that option and rarely do. Have some lithium primaries as well should the temps really drop.

What about camp security? Zombies and bears are always on my mind. Naturally any of the edge tools could be used though not sure how the saw would work in a fictional self defense zombie attack situation. Know I could count on the axe but we won't talk about that.

Then there is the pepper spray and firearm.

Ended up boiling lots of water as had the wood. I could make gallons and gallons of potable water. I just toss a full kettle on the stove first thing during the initial stoking then keep filling it up as used.

The sacred bacon. One pro to cold weather is bacon on demand.

Yes!

The power being used.

Oh..... Storm is here. The wind and ice pellets were bad. Nothing anyone wants to be out in.

The RidgeRest XL. A real nice closed cell pad.

Ice slush from the sky!

Here is when the long cut comes into play. I can process enough wood for my needs without more work than necessary though short wood is a bit harder to saw into even shorter sections.

Cooked up some more food then broke camp from the inside out. This way the tent canopy is the last thing taken down. I find this to be the best method during bad weather. Kinda obvious however. LOL! Back on the move enjoying the ice pellets hitting my face. Normally I would stray in camp but had things to do.

I didn't wear these on the way in but saved my butt on the hike out.

Here is a video so long winded it actually needed two parts to click bait people into watching it.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

the Kwan

Newly Enlightened
REALLY enjoyed reading this, truly fascinating and informative.:twothumbs

PocketLight88

Newly Enlightened
Awesome read, I really got into it!!! Also, thanks for taking plenty of pictures and showing all of the supplies you took with. [emoji106][emoji106]

PapaLumen

Enlightened
Quality viewing. I long for this kinda stuff. mmm bacon...
Thanks.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
It's an unusual beast for sure. Doing a review on it. Great splitter and blows out big chunks of wood however doesn't bite deep. Durable as heck and comfortable to use.

Thanks WW, I'm looking forward to reading your review. Have been looking at similarly-sized axes by Husqvarna, Wetterlings, Hults Bruk, [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]and Gransfors Bruks... the Roselli looks unique compared to the others, and given it's Finnish origin and heritage, I'd think it would be a good performer.[/FONT]

n800

Newly Enlightened
Great post and video! Made me wish I wasn't sitting at my desk taking a break from work right now.