Headlamp with OFF-TIMER

brighthead

Newly Enlightened
I often fall asleep with the headlamp on (reading).

I would like to buy a headlamp with an OFF-TIMER, so that I can configure it to automatically turn off after a pre-set time (usually about 1 hour). Do they make these?

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am unaware if there is one with a timer. You could check out Olight's models because I know they have a timer on some of their flashlights.

Or, you could just go with an efficient model from a company like Zebralight and don't worry about it if you fall asleep with it on. Even their tiny AA models, which run on a single AA, will run for over 4 days at a reading light level(2.7 lumens). That equals about 12 days of constant use(8 hours a night) on one AA if you just leave it on all night. Just get some Eneloop NiMH AA's and, you will have years of use on a single rechargeable cell. If you went with an 18650 model you would get around 72 days of light on a single charge even if you left it on all night every night.

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
Black diamond makes a kids headlamp called the gizmo ... I think that is what it's called. Anyway it shuts off after two hours. My kid also reads in bed a lot, so I know the timer works. It may be marketed as a kids lamp, but I am pretty sure the headband can be adjusted to fit an adult too.

brighthead

Newly Enlightened
Black diamond makes a kids headlamp called the gizmo ...
Thanks for this. New one is called the Wiz. Powers off after 4 hours. Gizmo is still on sale but not on their website. Powers off after 2, which seems high but far more reasonable than 4. Question: can I specifically enter this power-off mode or is it 'permanent'? I don't want it turning off unless I specify (with a long-press or similar action). Getting info on Black Diamond's site is not easy (no manuals to download that I could find...)

Genzod

Banned
I often fall asleep with the headlamp on (reading).

I would like to buy a headlamp with an OFF-TIMER, so that I can configure it to automatically turn off after a pre-set time (usually about 1 hour). Do they make these?

My other half has me configured as her off timer. I don't know why she even cracks a book. She falls right to sleep.

brighthead

Newly Enlightened
My other half has me configured as her off timer. I don't know why she even cracks a book. She falls right to sleep.

Heh.
In the meantime I have been using a timer from ebay (on a 12V DC lamp), which cost around 4 dollars. The little timer relay turns things off well once you set things up. Ideally I'd want it in a headlamp though: just a no-fuss way to get it to shut off in an hour (like a Sleep Timer on TVs). Battery drain when 'off' should be minimal.

Genzod

Banned
Heh.
In the meantime I have been using a timer from ebay (on a 12V DC lamp), which cost around 4 dollars. The little timer relay turns things off well once you set things up. Ideally I'd want it in a headlamp though: just a no-fuss way to get it to shut off in an hour (like a Sleep Timer on TVs). Battery drain when 'off' should be minimal.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of headlamp or lamp are you using?

brighthead

Newly Enlightened
Just out of curiosity, what kind of headlamp or lamp are you using?

I am using a lamp that has been modified to use a 12V LED lamp from China. It has a 'standard' E14 screw base, but 12V. Basically it just involves replacing the bulb and changing the mains plug of a typical lamp to a fitting of your choice. I am running it off a 12v DC solar battery system. Lots of less-than-honest Chinese suppliers that overstate wattage, though. If you check with a wattmeter and report them, then the item can be 'free' through the Returns process on ebay (as they should be if someone is misrepresenting an item).

Headlamp-wise I have a couple of Petzls and no-name Chinese ones too.

Black Diamond apparently don't think answering simple emails is important so I don't feel like supporting them, so I might just stick to this lamp with a timer. Various timers can be found on ebay with the search terms: 12v timer control switch. I bought one of those. It will do for now.

Last edited: