Review: Thrunite TH20 NW Headlamp (pics, runtime, beamshots)

Budda

Enlightened
I received the Thrunite TH20 NW from Thrunite.com for the review.

5% Discount! Coupon Code:THRUNITE, For Official Website Only
http://www.thrunite.com

Amazon US: http://www.amazon.com/thrunite

The TH20 is a headlamp with a reflector and infinite brightness settings, powered by 1xAA or 1x14500 battery. The headlamp is available in CW and NW version. I asked and got the NW version.

• LED: CREE XP-L V6 LED with a lifespan of 20+ years of run time.
• Mode & Runtime (Tested by one Eneloop AA 2450mAh NIMH rechargeable battery):
• -Firefly (0.3 lumens, 14 days)
• -Infinity Low (1.6 lumens, 21 hours)
• -Infinity High (230 lumens, 95 minutes )
• -Turbo (250 lumens, 93 minutes)
• Batteries Applicable: 1x AA battery, 1x 14500 battery.
• Working voltage: 0.9-4.2 V.
• Reflector: Orange Peel.
• Peak Beam Intensity: 1120 cd
• Beam Distance: 67 m (max.)
• Dimensions: 70 mm * 24.5mm
• Weight: 76g (without battery).
• Waterproof: IPX-8 (2 m)
• Impact Resistance: 1 m.
• Material: Aircraft grade aluminum body with premium type III hard anodized anti-abrasive finish.
• Accessories included: O ring, spare rubber slot.

The TH20 comes in this cardboard box.
IMG_0331_zpsl6ilp3a1.jpg

Inside you'll find the TH20, manual, headband with light holder, spare headband and spare o-rings.
IMG_0332_zpspoplec8e.jpg

IMG_0333_zpsshv6jkoc.jpg

IMG_0336_zpspgzyx521.jpg

IMG_0354_zpsbcrhegdf.jpg

IMG_0355_zpsavmdbxbu.jpg

IMG_0356_zpseuaab1bo.jpg

IMG_0352_zpsrfjdgctt.jpg

The light is compact, and has an anti-roll design.
IMG_0366_zpstu8zcnc8.jpg

IMG_0367_zpslrrtjkwt.jpg

IMG_0368_zpsfvlemrxu.jpg

It has a small reflector with light orange peeling, and glass with AR treatment are above an XP-L NW emitter.
IMG_0340_zpsnxhkfirp.jpg

The light is held on the headband by a silicone holder that allows the light to rotate
IMG_0337_zpstlu3qy0a.jpg

IMG_0339_zpsetexrswr.jpg

IMG_0342_zpsjjjuavrf.jpg

On one side of the light you have an electronic switch
IMG_0341_zpsovwkzoc1.jpg

On the other side: the tailcap. There's a milling in the battery compartment to avoid batteries being stuck in the light by the vacuum produced when removing them. Even without the milling there's a lot of room for batteries
IMG_0343_zpsyopamdon.jpg

IMG_0345_zps8pzfltfo.jpg

IMG_0347_zpsyxcxqt4s.jpg

Tailcap has a golden spring, threads are square cut and anodized so physical lockout is possible. It is flat so the light can tailstand.
IMG_0350_zpsadnoy2kp.jpg

At the positive pole there is a physical protection against polarity inversion (so only button top batteries).
IMG_0361_zps1ttbziqk.jpg

User interface
From off a single click turns the light on and off.
From off keep pressed the switch to turn the light on at firefly mode.
A double click gives you turbo mode. Another double click gives you SOS.
When the light is on, keep pressed the switch to increase the brightness with a logarithmic scale brightness increase; release and keep pressed again to decrease the brightness in the same way. The light can be set from the lowest infinity setting to the infinity high. When you reach lowest and brightest settable output, the light will blink twice.
Using a stopwatch I measured about 5" to get from the lowest to the highest setting.
When the light is on keep pressed the switch to return to firefly mode.
Light has memory mode for your customised brightness, not for turbo, firefly or SOS.

Beamshot
Weather is bad, so no outdoor Beamshots.
The small reflector and the big LED give a rather wide beam, with a defined spot.
IMG_0552_zps9t5myfnx.jpg

IMG_0553_zpsuwu20tbu.jpg

IMG_0554_zpspfkrpq51.jpg

IMG_0555_zpsncavnna0.jpg

IMG_0556_zps9b4prv6r.jpg

IMG_0557_zpsq8eindg7.jpg

The fog and rain gave me a brief window at 1 am so I took the change and made a quick beamshot to show how close the spill is to the walking plane (the space where your feet hit the ground when you walk).
I have a lot of background light in this setup so this first pic is with the TH20 off. Nothing crazy, but many 5000K LED streetlamps do their job, and you can still see the street pavement.
IMG_0671_zpssny65wea.jpg

And this is with the TH20 on. The spill on the TH20 starts kind of close to the feet, but there's still some distance.
IMG_0677_zpsxex32osm.jpg

Output and runtime
Output_zpsiu0dlvob.png

Runtime1_zpsvtaymich.png

Runtime2_zpscebigwi5.png

Runtime3_zpsg3xtu6zb.png

Runtime4_zpsctlrj7q9.png

I had a timer to avoid over discharging the 14500 unprotected battery. When the test was interrupted the resting voltage of the cell was 1.84 volts. So, avoid unprotected batteries with this light.

My thoughts

• This light is well built and finished.
  • Output is good for an AA battery, and the tested levels are regulated. The output at turbo will increase when using a 14500 battery, unfortunately unprotected cells needs to be used with great care otherwise they will be over discharged (on turbo mode it passes from full brightness to overdischarged in less than 3 minutes); while you can get full brightness without worrying about overdischarge with protected batteries.
  • The UI interface matches my needs: direct access to a low mode, turbo mode, last used mode (except low and turbo), which means that I can use the light at my customised settings, and go back to firefly or turbo without losing my customised brightness level.
  • The brightness changing system works fine, but I'd like to add a blink when it reaches 50% of the settable brightness (on the Armytek Predator it blinked every 25%), just as reference.
  • The brightness varies with a logarithmic pattern (I have not way of testing this), preferable to a linear way for the needs of the human eye: at small output, where the eye has greater sensitivity and can detect easily small output variations, the brightness changes slowly; at higher output, the brightness increase will be faster, as the eye has much smaller capability of detect output variations.
  • One thing that contributes to the ease of use is the switch. It is an electronic switch with a great tactile feedback, a big and grippy switch cover, and the switch works even if pressed on the side of the switch cover, even if you press in a diagonal way.
  • The headband and light holder work fine.
  • This headlamp, having a reflector, is suitable for people who look for a bit of throw for their need, since it will throw further than other models without reflector or with diffusing optics (relatively speaking, since the big LED and the small OP reflector, will give you some focusing to the LED).
  • The tint of my sample has a visible greenish colour. I tested 2 Thrunite lights with NW tint so far, and all had good NW tint with a pleasant yellow colour, so I believe I got an unlucky sample.
  • The light could benefit of a clip since this light could easily work as an EDC, as well as a magnet in the tailcap, to provide directional lighting without the need of the headband.

Thanks to: AntoLed for the luxmeter and the camera advices.

Last edited:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good review.

So if the rubber holder ever broke...you could use the spare, but is there another way of getting onto the headband without un-stitching it?

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
Thanks. Mine arrives tomorrow. I recently got the TN12 with the same emitter and it has a greenish tint. I suspect that is typical.

Treeguy

Enlightened
Very good review. Thanks.

I have a TH20 and i love it. Showed it to the guy I work with and he got me to order him one the same day.

stephenk

Enlightened
Thanks for the review. I've had one of these lights for half a year and it is holding up very well, even after multiple drops onto hard surfaces. It can also function as a useful night light in firefly mode.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate the green tint but it's definitely moddable. I have a Nichia 219B in mine. Glad to hear they hold up.

Interesting, nice work Gunga:thumbsup:. I bet that is a nice mod, I wish you could buy it in that configuration. How does the output and temperature on high compare to the stock version?

Last edited:

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
I got the headlamp.
Problem: The rubber bracket is cracked. I'll see if Thrunite will send me a new one. I realize there is a spare and I'm wondering how necessary those are going to be.
The light itself is wonderful. I don't have any green tint in my NW. It's a nice, warm, even tint. It makes me wonder if my TN12 is defective with the amount of green it puts out.
The UI is spot on. They nailed it.

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
I just reread this and confirmed that the headband does need to be restitched.
I'll be seeing if they can resend a headband with a rubber holder. This concerns me as a failure point. I had my last headlight for 10 years and I'm wondering if the rubber will last.

gunga

Flashaholic
Interesting, nice work Gunga:thumbsup:. I bet that is a nice mod, I wish you could buy it in that configuration. How does the output and temperature on high compare to the stock version?

Hmmm. Never kept it stock long enough to compare. Sorry. Just kept trying to get over the awful tint.

gunga

Flashaholic
No. Not thread locked but it was hard to open because the ring is thin. I damaged the ring but then I sanded off the anodizing and refinished it. Next time I have a watch pin tool I'll try so as to not damage it.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 4000K 219B in mine with DC fix on the lens.
Nice, that must be a good combo(pretty much exactly what I am thinking about building). I am thinking about ordering a frosted lens if I can get one though or just frost it with some silicon carbide emery cloth or wet/dry sandpaper.