New Surefire EB2 600 lumens 2017 version thread

Nichia!

Banned
Hi everyone, just wanted to know everything about the new EB2 600 lumens version because I really Hated the old version ( 500 lumens ) because of the ugly green tint it produces I really hope this one is better in every way with better tint..

Hudson456

Newly Enlightened
Where did you see this new version? Went to SF website and didn't see anything about this update to 600. Shot show?

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has the 600 lumen EB2 been sighted in the wild yet? Many of those SF catalog listings famously never quite make it to the market. :sigh: But, the original EB2 has been out for a while so maybe the chances are better for this upgraded model.

I like my 500 lumen EB2 but yes, it does have a coke bottle greenish tint. :green:

cody12

Newly Enlightened
Surefire seems to think green is the best tint. I bought a M6lt a few years ago thinking I was getting a bright white light. I was so disappointed. I actually called Surefire thinking something was wrong. They gave me some song and dance about wanting to have the tint close to that of incandescent light. I think they're just using cheaper emitters from the not so good bin. Don't get me wrong, I'm a SF fan. 80% of my collection is Surefire. Just some lights don't have the bright tint.

Nichia!

Banned
Believe it or not green tint hurts my eyes and my brain!

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems to me there is a company marketing "tactical" & gun mounted lights which is actually promoting their "mint green" LEDs. Hey, I liked my real GREEN and YELLOW GREEN 5mm LEDs on my A2s, but that's different. This is actually the main LED we're talking about. Mint green? Huh???

Then again, if it's a pure gun light, does it really matter if it's a bit green or a bit yellow or a bit, I dunno, pinkish? I would find it distracting in use, but that's just me.

But I imagine most users of the EB2 are not using it solely for tactical use. And those of here of course, expect a white LED to be, well. White-ish. Not green-ish. Especially at the prices SF is asking.

(Not bashing SF...I own and use a bunch of 'em.) But really, squid urine green is not what we want. Unless of course, it's mint-squid-urine green.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen that, it was more of a green laser illuminator diffused into a tight cone, that's why it achieved long range.

Well,to each his own. Green tint doesn't bother me, blue does.
I'd be happy to get a 600 lumen EB2 with either a greenish tint or pure white,doesn't matter.
Just not purple or blue.

SF, please bump up Low mode to 15 or 20, even 30+ lumens.
5/200 I can accept, but
5/600 is IMHO getting silly.

Edit:changed high to low mode.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey since they're promoting its advantages, SF should show off that greenish tint in some of their marketing photos... all those tactical operators' weaponlights, all I see are beams as white as the page background.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It seems that SureFire is staying in a groove regarding the market in general. And perhaps in an attempt to shore up their existing market base they make gradual changes that appear to hobbyists as lacking. Little tweaks that go unseen by the masses.

They do not seem intent on expanding their market share by entering into the latest-greatest-brighter-is-better fashion industry. It's a brave new world out there since PK left.

And regarding the tints, they have done lots and lots of R&D over a period combined with state of the art equipment using the findings to continue down a path of what their product development team has found a solid direction to go in todays rapidly changing world of flashlights.

They face stiff competition these days and have kinda painted themselves into a corner of a roof.
Build products meant to last a lifetime aimed at a cost is no issue market while competing with world wide manufacturing facilities who do not face mega-enviro rules...
Hell it's a wonder they can even remain viable, much less continue to grow.

SureFire is an amazing company in my view.

Last edited:

Heck

Enlightened
Hopefully the high/low reset is as quick as the latest E1B. The old E2B is a bit too long for tactical use, especially since they got rid of the tactical switch version.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
SF has been doing the 100lmn upgrade lately... :sigh:

I see this as an inexpensive way to upgrade:
I am assuming here, but just replace with a newer and more efficient emitter while retaining everything else, and get a 100 or so lumen bump?
Kinda like the old 500 lumen P2X that got bumped to 600.

IsaacL

Enlightened
I'm one of the few who prefers the green...Actually wish it was offered as an option....Totally beats the horrible purple/blue tint that most of their other lights have. 😓 But yeah, 100 lumen upgrades...Not much to say 🙄 Still love my SF's tho!

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not much you can push out of two CR123 today, so 600 lumens is just about it.
I'm one of those who prefer yellow/ yellow green / green too.

DAN92

Enlightened
surefi10.jpg

CerLo

Newly Enlightened
I see this as an inexpensive way to upgrade:
I am assuming here, but just replace with a newer and more efficient emitter while retaining everything else, and get a 100 or so lumen bump?
Kinda like the old 500 lumen P2X that got bumped to 600.

A little late I know. I'm new here and just recently purchased this light(by accident). I was looking at the edcl2 but was turned off by the 1200 lumens. My curiosity brought me here. I'm not well versed when it comes to the tech of these tools but I couldn't help but wonder if the eb2 backup 600 lumens is just a reconfiguration of the edcl2? It's half the max output in terms of lumens and gets near double the runtime per the numbers illustrated by surefire. I'm not complaining, just thought I'd throw my two cents in here as a newbie.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mean the EDCL2T is a reconfiguration of the EB2?

Yep, in a way it is.
Same two stage switch, but got rid of the sleek(sometimes called slippery by some) body and doubled the output.

Heck, I am one of those who wish that they just stuck to 600 lumens but increased runtime on max considerably, while running the newer more efficient emitter.

But, lumen wars and sales dictate otherwise.