• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Aquaram vs Makai

thenikjones

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone done a comparison of the Aquaram and the 6V Makai? I'm thinking of getting one but unsure which is the better thrower. I have a Cool Fall SPY 007 in XML which I love but is more a flood than a thrower.

Which is the better thrower of these two McGizmos? If anyone has both I'd love your feedback. Wondering about XP-G2 and XML, I have the XP/G2 Haiku and love that tint so that is the more likely choice.

Thank you

archimedes

Flashaholic
I have both, and would think the Makai > AquaRam, with all else equal (though I have not measured this)

However, there are other issues to consider, including the fact that the HiVe has programmable (and greater max) output.

If maximal throw is your goal, you will likely want the XP-G2 emitter.

Last edited:

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast
The beam of the AquaRam, especially if you go with the XPG2, will be very similar to your Haiku. The Makai, has a little wider spill (which is nice) and definitely is the better thrower!

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi again fellow flashlight enthusiasts, I had the same question before, post 579 in the AquaRam/AquaTerra thread.

Back in May, 2015 (and again, 9 months earlier) I asked if anyone had a lux (throw) measurement for the XPG-2 based AquaRam. In that post you can find lux measurements for the Makai's by the way, which I suppose thenikjones is also interested in.

But in all this time, nobody posted an answer! It's remarkable that over a period of 30 months this quite basic piece of information about this wonderful light has never been made available!

So hoping that in the last 21 months someone, somewhere, has done this measurement (or can do it without too much trouble...), can I please ask for it again?

Thank you.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Well, Mr Bazook, your patient 30-month wait has come to an end, today ... :wave:

10,500 lux at 1 meter

:party:

Specifications - AquaRam (BB) XP-G2, with HiVe programmed to max 1200 mA drive (Li-Ion 18650 powered), at an "eyeball" distance of 1(ish) meter, measured by the built-in lux meter of a rusty old Android running Light Meter app .... so don't put toooooo much certainty in that number (lol)

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Let's have a photo, to celebrate ...

rUWO7Gk.jpg

And the original link ...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ions-added**&p=4654456&viewfull=1#post4654456

Last edited:

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, Mr Bazook, your patient 30-month wait has come to an end, today ... :wave:

10,500 lux at 1 meter

:party:

Specifications - AquaRam (BB) XP-G2, with HiVe programmed to max 1200 mA drive (Li-Ion 18650 powered), at an "eyeball" distance of 1(ish) meter, measured by the built-in lux meter of a rusty old Android running Light Meter app .... so don't put toooooo much certainty in that number (lol)

Hallelujah!

Thank you very much! Very grateful for your response and effort. Sometimes in the world of flashlights one has to be patient, but 30 months is a looooong time!