Niwalker Vostro BK-FA09S: XHP35 HI, 2400 lumens, 1490 meters!, 4 x 18650; (beam)shots

kj75

Enlightened
As we know that the next generation emitters get more en more powerful and the increase of lights that are powered by High Drain cells, I asked me if: Who will launch a stock-flashlight that will reach the distance of 1,5 kilometers? I received the answer on my question, the Niwalker Vostro BK-FA09S arrived. Special thanks here to the outdoorsplus.com, who shipped the light for testing. A huge flashlight with extreme deep reflector, powered by an XHP35 HI and four High Drain Cells. In this review I'll show you the details, give my opinions, and most important of all: Let's see how far it throws! Like we're used of, some shoot-outs against other well-known thrower-lights included! Let's kick off!

the Niwalker Vostro BK-FA09S

big light, great performance

powered by a XHP35 HI LED

one of the best thrower-lights at the market!

To start with, the features and specifications here, given by Niwalker:

• Utilizes a U.S. made Cree XHP35 HI LED chip
• Maximum output up to 2400 lumens
• Integrated cool fins design provide better cooling
• Working voltage 11V~16.8V
• Smooth polished reflector creates maximum throw FA09S
• Aircraft grade aluminum, mil-spec hard anodized for maximum wear
• Toughened ultra-clear tempered glass lens with anti-reflective coating
• Large cooper heat sink pad for superior thermal conductivity
• Magnetic ring control switch allows you to select desired output easily
• Twist the front magnetic ring in clockwise direction for Off, L1, L2, L3, L4 and L5.
• Strobe is hidden, can be activated by twisting the ring from off to L5
• High efficient circuit design offers longest possible runtime
• Uses four 18650 batteries for extended period runtime
•Low voltage warning to alert user to recharge batteries in time

The dimensions:

• Length: 199mm
• Head Diameter: 83.5mm
• Body Diameter: 50.5mm
• Weight: 570g without battery

And the output specs:

Unboxing:

The box in which the BK-FA09S is shipped is about the same as the MM25MB comes in. I still like these boxes, because these kind of packages mostly hide interesting lights… Niwalker has pasted a silver sticker on the light-brown carton, that shows the light and the runtimes and output specifications. No foam inside, the light is placed in the holster, so that's the protection. It's not an over-complete box, but most we need is in. So, its sufficient, we only need to purchase dedicated cells. Scroll down for some pictures of the carton and what it contents!

a simply light-brown, but sturdy carton

the output and runtime specs mentioned at the silver sticker

unboxed: the light, holster, lanyard, manual and spare O-ring

Impressions:

Compared to the MM25MB the box has twice the length, so I knew a could expect a big one. This flashlight is huge! After I unboxed my first big thrower, the Fenix TK61 for some years ago, this is another thrower that has a wow-effect to me! If you're looking into the deep reflector with tiny but powerful XHP35 HI, you know that you can be sure of that this light will throw very far. The BK-FA09S is a big light that has its own looks and design and comes in matte-black color. Although it's a matter of taste, this design makes the BK-FA09S not the nicest flashlight I've seen before. Maybe this is because of the big cooling' fins under the head seem to big relative to the head. The anodizing-job is well done at my sample and also the laser-engraving done sufficiently. Good point here that this big light stands stable and can be used (especially with the good lower modes) as a candle. Thanks to the fine knurling and the notches in the body the BK-FA09S has good grip. Striking details is the magnetic ring between the body and the head has three pairs of notches: These cut-outs will ensure always good grip by controlling the light. Looking at the tail cap we see an nice design, four holes to add the strap and a clicky that needs a rather firm press. No problem here, because flashlights of this caliber are made for a man's' hand. The clear glass lens covers dust-free smooth reflector. The XHP35 HI led is centered well, but not perfectly. Also a close-up to the LED and the reflector shows that the manufacturer can improve some little details here. During opening the BK-FA09S the threads run without scratching, and are lubed sufficiently. but the machining could be little better. The overall finishing is good here, no glue, solder rests or anything like that. Same to the tubes' inner. The tube holds an equal battery magazine like the MM25MB-brother. A closer look show that's not the same: It has a built-up button for the clicky and its some shorter. In contrast to the MM25MB's holder I can't load any protected cell here. The only cells in my collection that fit are the Samsung 30Q unprotected. Although I didn't have any issues until now, the battery magazine seems to be the weaker part of the BK-FA09S. At the end of this impressions-paragraph I can conclude that the BK-FA09S is well constructed and will survive most tests and circumstances. I would like to see some improvements about the finishing, especially at the battery-holder. For more impressions and details, please take a look at the pictures below!

the Niwalker BK-FA09S is a big one!

designed to throw

the light has its own design

can also be used as a (big) candle

the "Vostro" is really a big one

and needs a man's head

big fins are needed for this powerful LED

the XHP35 HI brings a lot of throw

not perfectly centered, but ok

mind the cut-outs in the magnetic control-ring here

a smooth and very deep reflector

fine knurling, well done engraving

the head turned off

the tube hold the battery-magazine

only unprotected cells can be used

the magazine has its own clicky

well-greased threads

but machining may be improved some

the tail has a nice design and a stiff button

a look into the tube

the impressive head

a close-up to the XHP35 HI LED

comes with nice holster

recommended while carrying this rather heavy one

big power in your hand!

the lanyard added

you can choose one of the four holes

some outdoor-pictures here

the Niwalker Vostro BK-FA09S meets the Dutch winter

the ingredients of a purebred thrower: big head,

deep and smooth reflector

an a tiny and powerful emitter

User interface:

The BK-FA09AS is a big and heavy light that really need a man's hand. It can't be carried in any pocket, so the holster or a lanyard is strongly recommended during carrying. About the cells: I used the light with Samsung INR-18650 Q30 unprotected cells without any issues yet, so I can recommend these ones for the BK-FA09S. Any protected cell won't fit.

Although it's a big torch, it can surprisingly simple controlled by one hand. This is thanks to the "dual-interface". The clicky at the tail is the "main-switch", the magnetic ring the secondary. Both can be used to turn the light on and off, but if you turn off with the clicky the light can't be turned on by the ring anymore. So, this is a kind of standby-mode here. Use the magnetic ring to cycle through the modes, starting at lowest up to highest. It works fine, and at this way, you can both control and also turn on and off by using one hand. The Vostro has momentary-on too, mind that you have to preset your output mode first by using the ring. The disadvantage here: You always have to guess in which mode the light comes on, because nothing is shown about this on or besides the ring. So, you have to remember yourself in what mode you turned it off…. In daily use, this interface worked fine to me: Use the clicky for (quick) search-jobs, and the ring if you want to start at lowest mode. The BK-FA09S has "hidden" Strobe-mode: This is only available from off. A quick turn from off to maximum mode will activate it. This works without problems, but I don't like that this is the only way to turn it on. Better it should be available out of any mode.

Also because I really love big throwers, this light is a feast to go outside with! The XHP35 HI brings such a massive light-saber; I never tried out such a far reaching light before. Later in this review I'll show you a couple of beamshots! The BK-FA09S is not free of buzzling sound: At third and fourth mode I can hear a whistling sound. Outside barely noticeable, and a light like this won't be used often indoors I think…

In practice, this interface works fine to me, but I would like to see some things changed or updated in future, like a better Strobe-option. Also I would like to see info's about the voltage, to me a must, especially when I have to use unprotected cells.

Modes:

The BK-FA09S has five output-levels, at the beamshots I called those levels LOWER > LOW > MED > HIGH > TURBO. A good point is that the light has a very good low; it will give long runtimes, and personally I'm a fan of lights that have a good low. Out from low, the next step is a rather big one, but overall the spacing of the modes is good. The Vostro has MOMENTARY-ON too. No direct modes here. The only special mode, STROBE, is a direct one that's only available from off. You can LOCK-OUT the BK-FA09S by releasing the lights' head. This Niwalker is a no-nonsense flashlight, so no voltage indicators, illuminated buttons or anything like that.

Size comparison:

For the comparison I picked the good old Fenix TK61 with massive head and the Acebeam T20, that is the actual thrower-king in my collection. I'll use these three later in my beamshots-session too!

Niwalker BK-FA09S, Fenix TK61 and Acebeam T20

the heads: XHP35 HI, XM-L2 U2 and XP-L HI

the tails: Niwalker BK-FA09S, Fenix TK61 and Acebeam T20

Tint:

The XHP35 HI of the BK-FA09S has a neutral tint. Personally I like those tint because of the good rendering and it performs better when the humidity is high, like it often is in the country I live… But other would prefer a cooler tint to a thrower, like (for example) the Fenix TK61 has. Mind also the warm tint of the Acebeam at the wallshot here!

Beamprofile:

This is the ultimate thrower-profile here! Intensive hotspot, tiny corona and big and equal spill. As you can see at the wallshots, this light creates a light-saber outdoors. No surprise for a torch that has such a deep reflector in combination with this flat emitter. No defects or rings in the beam can be found here, neither PWM. Good job of Niwalker here!

Beamshots:

Let's have a look now how the Niwalker BK-FA09S performs! As we're used of, starting by projecting the light at a white wall; the distance is about 1,25 meters. Note: I "renamed" the output modes into Lower to Turbo instead of Mode 1 – Mode 5.

Camera-settings: ISO100, F/2.7, WB daylight, 1/200 sec, 35mm

GIF-picture:

Going outdoors now with the Niwalker Vostro BK-FA09S! Starting by showing the five output modes here while placing the tripod on a road with some trees at left and a wall at right-side. The distance to the bend is around 375 meters.

Camera-settings: ISO100, F/2.7, WB daylight, 4 sec, 35mm

GIF-picture:

Same road, and now compared to the other throwers I showed before. Firstly, against the Fenix TK61. This torch still has enormous spill and still performs well for a light with an "aged" XM-L2 U2 LED.

the BK-FA09s against the Fenix TK61, both at highest level

The Acebeam T20 has an equal LED, but much smaller reflector and is powered by two instead of four 18650's.

the Niwalker BK-FA09S against the Acebeam T20, both at highest level

Second location: a tree line at about 600 meters away. Although the humidity got little high here, the Vostro easily lights up the line.

the Vostro at maximum output

Some closer now: Trees at about 300 meters away here.

the Vostro at maximum output

Another location now with a tree line at about 400 meters away. First the BK-FA09S at maximum output shown.

the BK-FA09S Vostro at maximum output

Let's see how the other throwers perform here, starting with the good old Fenix TK61..

the Niwalker BK-FA09S against the Fenix TK61, both at highest level

And a shoot-out against the Acebeam T20..

the Niwalker BK-FA09S against the Acebeam T20, both at highest level

Conclusion:

The Niwalker BK-FA09S has really impressed me, especially the thing that this light is designed for: Throw very far! It's really a big one, so not pocket-sized, but the overall quality is ok. Some details at the finishing could be improved. I like the "double" interface with magnetic ring, the light is very easy to control by one hand. The Strobe-function should be available from on too. Tint is ok to me, although it's more neutral / warm that the "average" thrower. I would like to see also a built in power indicator (like for example the same as the MM25MB brother).

I really love this big thrower; Again and again it's great to light up objects that are far away. Therefore I can recommend this lights to those who love far-throwing flashlights; also this light may be a good option for hunting and searchjobs.

Special thanks to the Outdoorsplus who provided me the light for testing!

Last edited:

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review and superb photos.

Btw, I sent you a pm but got bounced back as pm limit is exceeded. Thanks

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
after 3 times changing the batteries the battery carrier ripped its self apart under the huge pressures. the springs are way way to stiff and require way to much force to insert the batteries into the battery carrier. Here is a video of that i mean. yes i can tighten the screws but that only did so much and it will just loosen again in a short time. It needs less stiff and shorter springs. I used flat top unprotected cells. button top unprotected would not even fit. Horrible carrier

kj75

Enlightened
Because I got several questions about the battery carrier, I want to share some extra pictures of it. Agree, its not the best made and finished carrier I've seen before.. The springs are very strong, inserting a cell takes some effort and care. But my Samsung 30Q button tops fit. I took some quick pics (sorry for poor quality) of the carrier and the cells.

Last edited:

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your photo #6 shows a shorter solder blob between the two positive brass ends...unlike the one I got, which it is literally just beside it, and created a very dangerous electrical short. I can furnish this thread photos if needed.

Btw, my light is the other model, the Niwalker BK-FA02S. Perhaps its carrier is different from the carrier in this review?

Edit: I just re-checked Niwalker's website, and indeed the 09S and 02S are wired differently internally (8.4v vs. 16.8v) and has safer design from an electrical short, in short, their carriers cannot be interchanged.

So sorry to derail this thread....

For those wondering what this post is all about, (BK-FA02S owners beware) it's all HERE

Last edited:

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
those are the exact batteries that broke my carrier. they fit but they are so hard to push in that my figures hurt when done. I sent the whole light and carrier to vinh to work his magic on. maybe shorter or less stiff springs will help.

Because I got several questions about the battery carrier, I want to share some extra pictures of it. Agree, its not the best made and finished carrier I've seen before.. The springs are very strong, inserting a cell takes some effort and care. But my Samsung 30Q button tops fit. I took some quick pics (sorry for poor quality) of the carrier and the cells.

202BIGMIKE

Newly Enlightened
kj75 , In this Niwalker BK-FA09S flashlight , what's the Color/Tint of the Cree XHP35 HI ?

:huh2: Is it Warm , Neutral or Cool white (3500K---7000K) ?:help:

Last edited:

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a very good review kj75, thanks. Lots of great photos! [emoji106]

Niwalker lights are always just a bit different, and have a "working class" look and feel to them. They are more of a tool than a piece of jewellery! [emoji4]

kj75

Enlightened
kj75 , In this Niwalker BK-FA09S flashlight , what's the Color/Tint of the Cree XHP35 HI ?

:huh2: Is it Warm , Neutral or Cool white (3500K---7000K) ?:help:

Please check the "tint" chapter in review; the tint is not as warm as the Acebeam T20, the Fenix TK61 has a cool white one.

202BIGMIKE

Newly Enlightened
Please check the "tint" chapter in review; the tint is not as warm as the Acebeam T20, the Fenix TK61 has a cool white one.

This is a good review and I just missed your statement regarding the "tint". Do you or anyone else have any other suggestions for more 18650's to use in this light ?

Bruno28

Enlightened
Got mine yesterday. Good narrow beam.
My LED was a bit off centered so I had to fix. Opened it up and looked a bit messy in there.
The solder wasn't the best job. And thermal paste everywhere. I really liked this brand but seems like quality control is a bit loose lately?

Also it says XPL and not the XHP35 Hi? Did they just use the same copper MCPCB as the xpl?
b3cd7ed1998472dbd10b67a5c2cd0792.jpg

Last edited:

Lateck

Newly Enlightened
Nice review KJ.
Received mine a week ago but am waiting on some cells that fit. (I have no un-protected cells).

Lateck,
P.S. Bruno, it seems we both like the same Niwalker lights.....

Bruno28

Enlightened
Nice review KJ.
Received mine a week ago but am waiting on some cells that fit. (I have no un-protected cells).

Lateck,
P.S. Bruno, it seems we both like the same Niwalker lights.....
I used the LG MJ1 3500mah. They are still a tight fit but works.
Niwalker is a great brand. I like the simple design and the performance. You'll really like this one. It's my first dedicated thrower if you don't count the TK75, TM26GT and C26 as one.

Lateck

Newly Enlightened
Finally got a chance to try out my FA-09S.....
Man is it a thrower!!! I easily got 3 full blocks.
It will be great out in my desert location.
Again, thanks KJ and Bruno.

Lateck,