X7vn vs TK75vnQ70

gunmike1

Newly Enlightened
Right now I'm debating the X7vn vs the TK75vnQ70. I'd get the X7vn new, and the TK75vnQ70 lightly used (assuming Vinh wouldn't build me one new) from outside the country. I'm looking for a big time flooder with a bit of throw for illuminating while patrolling for downed power lines in storms. Having good flood really helps to avoid crossing over downed lines and other debris on the ground. I'd mainly use it from a truck, while I'm a passenger with someone else slowly driving. I'd also likely use it outside of the truck some as well (or have the driver use it while we are both out of the truck), but I generally use a smaller 18650 when I'm out of the truck taking notes and measurements.

To me it looks like the TK70vnQ70 would have more output and throw than the X7vn, while also having a shoulder strap for carry (a holster won't work good with the overall style FR rain gear bottoms I wear in these conditions) when I'm out on foot patrolling. On the other hand the X7vn is still very bright with decent throw for its size, and a smaller form factor, and it may well fit in the pocket of my rain gear top (though that probably wouldn't be a good place to put the light after it gets hot). Plus with a new light I know it's brand new, has a warranty, ect. For some reason though the TK75vnQ70 is calling out to me. Maybe it will come down to heat management, and whichever one can stay cool the best would be the one to get. I'd always have at least 1 spare set of batteries, and I don't think run time would be too big of an issue overall with how long I generally need to big output. Generally I don't need to use full turbo output for more than a couple minutes at a time with this type of work, so I'm not sure the heat and run time will be enough to sway me. Any help with opinions would be greatly appreciated.

ven

Flashaholic
Q70 can handle the heat very well, also has the run time kits for .....well double or triple the run time. That would be my vote out of the two. Does reach out a decent way with around 100kcd .....wall of light.

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Q70 can handle the heat very well, also has the run time kits for .....well double or triple the run time. That would be my vote out of the two. Does reach out a decent way with around 100kcd .....wall of light.
+1 with the run time kits it's a must have
Tk75vn with fenix extention kit next to tk61vn

upload img

gunmike1

Newly Enlightened

Edit: after looking at the sky lumen website it looks like you can double up and triple up the modified carrier and extension assemblies. I would then think it might be better to just have one carrier with dedicated batteries to run in the 4 cell configuration, then use 8 other cells to use together when I want to double up. The reason for that is I'd worry about having 4 cells that are used more often paired up with 8 other batteries that aren't used that much. Is my thinking sound, or am I being overcautious? Also, do the modified carriers need button tops?

As for batteries, it looks like Vinh's LG 3500 mah cells are a good choice for long run times. Wouldn't those be similar to the 18650GA in that they are 10A discharge with 3500 mah? I have some of those and have been happy with them in myEagletac G25C2 Mk 2. For the TK75vnQ70 I am leaning toward the 30Q or VTC6 due to their higher discharge rates paired with decent capacity. The VTC5's look like the choice if you really want pure output and don't need a lot of run time. On mountain electronics they aren't that pricy either and button tops are available for any of those cells if they are required.

Last edited:

gunmike1

Newly Enlightened
Well, the TK75vnQ70 might have been bought up from under me while I was conversing with the seller asking questions about the light. Oh well, that's what I get for not just saying I'll take it. Being an international buy though I wanted to be sure of what I was doing.

Now I need to refocus on what to get. The X7vn is a great light, but now I've got the TK75vnQ70 on my brain. Maybe I'll wait until the X9vn is released and see what Vinh can do with it. I'm concerned that the throw on the X9 is listed at under 300m, and I'm not sure how much throw Vinh will be able to out of it. Probably a lot as he appears to have got an extra 200m out of the X7vn compared to stock, but we will have to see. Also the X9 has a battery pack, and I'd prefer just regular cells over a battery pack.

drummer132132

Enlightened
If you ask him he can probably source the TK75vnQ70. It's a great host and heatsinks very well. Just converse with him about runtime extension tubes. iirc for the TK75vnQ/Q70 he could mod the battery carrier to be lightly modded aka battery carrier extension tube friendly or heavily modded where extra carrier is not useable. Just ask to make it extension tube friendly.

If you wanted more heatsinking you can also try to ask him to source and RC40vnF. Cost more but more potential output with more heatsink capability. The reflector is slightly more narrow (?) and will have brighter spill at a reduced spill width but not by a drastic amount. I think it was rated around 20k lumen and 200kcd.

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think tk75vnq70 is more convenient for the every day use even with the extension runtime kit.. you all know it is not going to cheap.. fenix products usually run higher... maybe we can get about 8 tk75vn buyer and vinh might getbsome big discount from the authorized reseller.. what do u think? I am down for another fenix tk75vn.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interesting topic title, because this is exactly what I have been thinking about a lot for a few months.

I got my Fenix TK75vnX2Q70 dome on just before the X7 came into being, and after I got the several 2.5 inch flooders that are listed in my signature.

I love the TK75vnX2Q70 because it has larger, deeper, reflectors than any four emitter 2.5 inch light can have, thus making its larger size classification of interest to me.

Vinh really juices up the X7 throw and lumen specs a lot, so I shall have to get one sometime in the near future.

drummer132132

Enlightened
Honestly the TK75 will be better on heat but very flexible with the runtime kits. Imo it's the more future proof option.

gunmike1

Newly Enlightened
I'm in contact with Vinh now about a TK75vnQ70 built, and even asked about the RC40vnF as well. Big $ I'm sure, but worth a look on my part. I really like the TK75 design with the extensions and carriers rather than a battery pack, but the RC40vnF is an beast for lumens with over 900 meters of throw. So I'm sitting here pondering and I'll see what he says. A group buy would be nice, not sure we could make that happen, but worth a shot.

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in contact with Vinh now about a TK75vnQ70 built, and even asked about the RC40vnF as well. Big $ I'm sure, but worth a look on my part. I really like the TK75 design with the extensions and carriers rather than a battery pack, but the RC40vnF is an beast for lumens with over 900 meters of throw. So I'm sitting here pondering and I'll see what he says. A group buy would be nice, not sure we could make that happen, but worth a shot.
You'll end up buying them all like all of us eventually do:)

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea a group buy on the tk75vn would be nice, but i dont think its gonna happened.. not too many interested buyer. Lets just forget it..

gunmike1

Newly Enlightened
The TK75vnQ70 is back up on the website. He did offer the TN40Svn as a cheaper alternative. The TN40Svn doesn't have the wall of light effect like the TK75, but it sure does throw, with decent flood, and it's $150 cheaper. I'm still thinking the TK75 may meet my needs better, especially with the run time kit, but Vinh got me thinking.

drummer132132

Enlightened
Guess it's a decision of do you want the runtime kit and wall of light or further throw. I'm biased towards Fenix so I know the route I'd go but will be more expensive. Just don't do what I do and completely overthink numbers etc and what if's. Keep it light and have fun.

Watch the video:

TK75vnQ70 Latest Iteration

Will give you an idea...man I'm thinking about updating my TK75vnQ PDTc to the xhp70 version lol. Might need to sell some lights. Just note on the website it says single carrier only. I'm guessing if you want to use the runtime kit you will have to ask him to mod it where they will be compatible which means less output that is stated on the website assuming it's even possible.

Last edited:

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
You won't be running either light at 100% throughout a work shift (nor would you need to). If you use the TK75vnQ70 at around 30% power you'll be lighting up your entire work area... and I expect you won't be running the light continuously... which makes me question whether you would ever need a run time extender.

gunmike1

Newly Enlightened
You won't be running either light at 100% throughout a work shift (nor would you need to). If you use the TK75vnQ70 at around 30% power you'll be lighting up your entire work area... and I expect you won't be running the light continuously... which makes me question whether you would ever need a run time extender.

You make a good point about not needing the run time extender. Likely a minute or two at a time I may need high, but likely 30% or less will be way more than enough to light up what I need for the most part. I always carry spare batteries anyway, so I'd worst case be looking at 1 or max 2 battery changes in one night, which to me is better than sacrificing output and paying more for the extenders. I also have the option to plug in my MC3000 into the socket in my truck to charge the batteries as well.

The only thing that has me second guessing a monster flooder is seeing the beamshots of the TN40Svn and its incredible throw, with decent spill after Vinh recommended I check it out. It can really reach out and touch something, which at times I do need. I could get it in either 10000lm 300K lux or more likely the 8700lm (5700K) 500k lux version if I went that way. I still think the TN75vnQ70 would suit my needs better most of the time, and it's raw output with the wall of light is great. But it is "only" 110K Lux, and I don't have a thrower. Then again, I don't have a very useful flooder either. I think the bottom line is that I need to buy more lights (like both the TN40Svn and TK75vnQ70, to start), but the wife only puts up with so much of my light purchases at one time (she wonders why anyone needs anything more than a small maglite, but I digress). I wish I had a side by side of these two lights beamshots to judge which one I should get. The TK75 is more expensive, but Fenix quality is well worth it in my mind. Both of these lights balance size and output/performance in pretty incredible ways, and either one would be 100 times better than what I've been using, so I need to make a choice and just jump and get one. I highly know I'd ever be disappointed in them for sure.