2017's Best Single 18650 Thrower

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Guys!

It's been a while since I've been here! Anyways, just wanted to check out the flashlight scene on what is the current best single 18650 thrower out there today. Is it still the old M2X? I know there is a newer M3X but that needs more than one cell to punch it over 1km right?

Floor is open. :)

STO

Newly Enlightened
I think there was a thread very similar to this recently, can't recall where it was though. Why the single 18650 requirement though? Why does using a single 18650 matter in a throw comparison. A light with a massive head and a short battery tube seems just as impractical size wise as a light with the same size head and a 2S battery setup. I'm more interested in and build lights for best throw for total size. Best throw in a 40-50mm head that you can reasonably put in a jacket pocket or a small bag, and a reasonable length which may mean single 18650 or single 26650 or not. I guess also reflector or aspheric matters there since their peak throw per size is often a lot different.

MX421

Enlightened
I think there was a thread very similar to this recently, can't recall where it was though. Why the single 18650 requirement though? Why does using a single 18650 matter in a throw comparison. A light with a massive head and a short battery tube seems just as impractical size wise as a light with the same size head and a 2S battery setup. I'm more interested in and build lights for best throw for total size. Best throw in a 40-50mm head that you can reasonably put in a jacket pocket or a small bag, and a reasonable length which may mean single 18650 or single 26650 or not. I guess also reflector or aspheric matters there since their peak throw per size is often a lot different.

I would think a single cell light would be safer, even though you would be limited on power due to voltage...

STO

Newly Enlightened
Safer how? 2S lights are pretty safe as long as you use the right batteries and treat them well or in many throwers you can run protected cells due to the low power use. For throw, power availability it's necessarily an issue. And if you do need a fair bit of power for your chosen LED(s) a single cell's voltage sag isn't that bad when the alternative is a buck driver that has all sorts of size, power, and efficiency issues. There are advantages and disadvantages to both and generally when building a light I go with whatever will work best for the goals: size, throw, power use, lumens, etc.

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
Statistically 1 cell will be safer than 2 cell, especially 2S, simple as that.

But they can all be safe enough, and none will be totally infallible.

Run the Olight M3xs-UT with 3 cr123As and it has hella throw but isn't much longer.

Then there are others that are in the m2 ballpark. Manker u21 is best single cell value option imho, and is 26650 or 18650. Nitecore p30 that can throw a lot for the size. Eagleton M30c has a bigger head but throws well.

If you go aspheric, the Dereelight XS really throws.

So many options in the size range of the M2XS. I can't think of any that outdo an m3xs-UT on 123s except v54 lights (skylumen).

Edit: here's a thread about much the same.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/429056

Last edited:

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello STO! I saw that thread, and it ended up being a discussion of multi-celled flashlights. The single 18650 is good for various reasons:
1. Size. The light is small enough to pack in your bag as opposed to huge thrower lights like the K70, Olight Intimidator series, Thrunite, etc etc etc.
2. Efficiency. Imagine running out of power using those 4-celled behemoths? You'd have to carry quite a number of cells to keep going if you're off-grid.
3. Price. These solo 18650 throwers are nowhere near the price range of the big throwers. So price per meter, they are cheaper.
4. Safety. Using protected cells negates possible issues.

Oh yeah, the M2X and M3X share the same head diameter, which is way smaller than the Eagletac version (which can't throw as far) this is done by the brilliant angle of the reflector for a very tight beam and excellent spill. Aspherics are great focused throwers and provide the least modifications to throw well.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Statistically 1 cell will be safer than 2 cell, especially 2S, simple as that.

But they can all be safe enough, and none will be totally infallible.

Run the Olight M3xs-UT with 3 cr123As and it has hella throw but isn't much longer.

Then there are others that are in the m2 ballpark. Manker u21 is best single cell value option imho, and is 26650 or 18650. Nitecore p30 that can throw a lot for the size. Eagleton M30c has a bigger head but throws well.

If you go aspheric, the Dereelight XS really throws.

So many options in the size range of the M2XS. I can't think of any that outdo an m3xs-UT on 123s except v54 lights (skylumen).

Edit: here's a thread about much the same.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/429056

Hello BDM! Yeah definitely the lesser cells the better. but for better measure, use high-drain cells or protected cells :) Most lights these days have thermal monitoring to ensure the light is safe. Thanks on the suggestion on the lights, I recently purchased the Nitecore P30 and I am happy with it's performance. The beam is solid with 95500cd, but still shy of the 160,000cd which the M2X UT can punch. I will try checking out that Manker u21 and Eagleton M30C? And yeah, I just love Dereelight XS and NM but a lot of times i also need the spill :) I will check Vihn's v4's :)

STO

Newly Enlightened
Really all depends what you are looking for, there are some big muticell throwers that use a single emitter so actually gain runtime from their cells but the trend these days does seem to be larger throwers also try to get more lumens and so I agree the rate at which they use batteries can be annoying, and with that their cost also goes up with no increase in throw/size. Is a shame only modders really build for max throw and max throw per size instead of just throwing more of the same into bigger and bigger power hungry lights. The Strike of Hyperion lights I build have a 53mm head diameter in a single 26650/18650 form factor and because of a design for throw and power efficiency get over 400,000cd.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really all depends what you are looking for, there are some big muticell throwers that use a single emitter so actually gain runtime from their cells but the trend these days does seem to be larger throwers also try to get more lumens and so I agree the rate at which they use batteries can be annoying, and with that their cost also goes up with no increase in throw/size. Is a shame only modders really build for max throw and max throw per size instead of just throwing more of the same into bigger and bigger power hungry lights. The Strike of Hyperion lights I build have a 53mm head diameter in a single 26650/18650 form factor and because of a design for throw and power efficiency get over 400,000cd.

Wow can I see a sample of your light with 400000cd?

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saw the light! Saw that it uses aspherical lenses like the dereelight. Fantastic sounding name though. Is it worth the 200+ bucks price tag?

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
So it is safe to say the best single 1x18650 reflector-based thrower is still the Olight M2X-UT with the new updated XPL H1 V2 led? Tsk tsk... and I thought it would have some competition by now. :)

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Vinh's t21vn is a good option. Can run either 1 or 2 cells.
Throw with 2 cells is approx 500kcd! With one cell I think it runs about 350kcd which is awesome. It's the best lux per dollar

Tuigali

Newly Enlightened
Klarus Xt12gt must be worth a shout-not dissimilar specs to the manker u21 but with a waaayyyy slimmer head.

Theaussielight

Newly Enlightened
Don't you guys think the Acebeam L16 is a hot contender for the best single 18650 thrower? It does 603 meters with a single cell.

Bazar

Newly Enlightened
It is a great option, acebeam uses a different technique to build their reflectors, and thus have the best throwing LED reflectors that exists what's great about the L16 is it is quite high in lumens too but it loses that max throw quickly, for the same reason, high power consumption leading to quick drop- off, the L16 is very small for its throw, the stark contrast to the Emisar D4 in terms of beam pattern, with the same power drop off. Pocket rocket with less utility than Acebeams larger options that have less lumens and watt requirements.