Dimmer for bulbs in chandelier?

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any recommendations?

Chandelier uses 3 bog standard A19 bulbs. Would like to replace with LED and have a dimmer on the circuit. I know that I've gone through this dance with CFLs before LED bulbs were widely available; I had two wall sconces in my old living room and never did find any combination that worked acceptably; after realizing how infrequently I used the lights in there I simply threw some 100W incans in there and called it a day.

Now I'm running into the same thing in the dining room. I am using some of the "vintage" (clear glass, kind of look like old carbon filament bulbs) round globe bulbs from Home Depot "EcoSmart" 5.5W 2700K dimmable. I'm not married to these; I'd originally bought them because they were cheap. looked cool, and thought they'd work in the bathroom but SWMBO didn't like the light from them in there so I threw them in the chandelier to use them.

Is there a dimmer that will work well with these bulbs? If not, can you recommend a bulb/dimmer combo that will work well? I wouldn't mind going up in wattage to a 60W equivalent for more light when working on projects on the DR table although the light level in there is fine now as is for general use.

The problem that I'm experiencing is a lot of flicker which drives me nuts. Current dimmer is an old non-C/L rated dimmer probably original to the house. I have put up with it for a while because we seldom use the room but I saw some cheap Feit LED rated dimmers in Costco the other day. Because I've been bitten before I read some reviews instead of just buying one on the spot, looks like those aren't really that good.

Any recommendations for what to do here, aside from accepting that it won't work and just getting some 60W incans (while I stil can...)?

I wish you could still get Philips L-Prizes, I have had no problems with those...

Edit: I should had said, that if I end up buying new bulbs, high CRI would be a plus, and I would prefer to stay in the 2700-3000K range.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
From the little I've read you just about need to buy a dimmer made for LED dimmable bulbs and decent quality LED bulbs to go with it. I've read other dimmers can suffer from flicker and range of dimming.

ssanasisredna

Enlightened

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my exp, LED and dimmer systems, unless matched, will be unsatisfactory. Either they flicker, strobe, never fully dim/brighten, etc.
I'd stay with incan for dimming fixtures but IF you're dead set on going LED, I'd get a bulb/switch combo that's set designed and performs to your expectations.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right. That's why I'm asking, is there a known good ~60w equivalent a19 or g25 high cri bulb and dimmer combo?

ssanasisredna

Enlightened
In my exp, LED and dimmer systems, unless matched, will be unsatisfactory. Either they flicker, strobe, never fully dim/brighten, etc.
I'd stay with incan for dimming fixtures but IF you're dead set on going LED, I'd get a bulb/switch combo that's set designed and performs to your expectations.

That was true 3+ years ago, but most things dim tolerably now (Maestro dimmer excluded), though many bulbs do not dim very deep as it is cheaper not to dim deep.

Great thing about chandeliers is there is lots of bulbs which makes dimmers happier.

There are no "bulb/dimmer" combos ... since most dimmers are made by Lutron/Leviton who do not make bulbs.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, so coming back to this very old topic, but I finally have something that isn't pissing me off.

Today I was in the Orange Colored Store as herself wanted some live herbs and needed some pots to put them in... while walking through electrical they FINALLY set up a display of various dimmable LED bulbs and instead of using some unnamed dimmer the name was clearly marked (Lutron Skylark.) I bought a four pack of Cree Soft White LED bulbs, model no. SA19-08127MDFD-12DE26-1-14 because they dimmed deeper than the other two options shown (EcoSmart and Philips) and seemed to dim well through its range. One disappointment is that CRI is marked on the package as "85+" as opposed to the 90+ I would prefer, although you have to give them props for not going with the bare minimum 80+.

They seem to be working well throughout their range with only some anomalies at the very dimmest (they shut off/fail to start if the dimmer is turned all the way down) although they are running off of an old 1970's vintage rotary dimmer. If it bothers me enough I may go back and pick up a Skylark dimmer but these are legit good dimming bulbs. Rather happy. Finally, a decent solution for a dining room light that we've been waiting something like 15 years for? Anyway, for ~$20 a four pack I'm OK with these, my only real quibble is the lack of "high CRI" but they're ages better than anything else I've tried save for a real 60W incandescent.