80W UHP flashlight project

PolarLi

Enlightened
Project 80W UHP flashlight.

A little bit info:

-Lamp is a UHP/P-VIP projector lamp.

-100W (80W) ballast.

-Reflector is 120 mm/4.75", Electroformed, Aluminium Quartz from Phoenix.

-Fan cooling.

-Battery pack, INR 18650 4s2p.

-Borosilicate front glass.

-Host is called Jiage YD-6800.

EDIT:

Project completed, scroll down for all the updates :)

Performance:

-4800 Lumens
-6,300,000 Candela
-5000 meters ANSI FL-1 range
-45 minute+ runtime

-1390 gram total weight

whpOQrL.jpg

uBlIK2I.jpg

Last edited:

PolarLi

Enlightened
Inside the LED host before I pulled out all the other stuff:

U7a0Cwc.jpg

One of the special parts in this project, is the ballast. It's a "100w" 12v automotive ballast. Thanks to Ma_sha1 findings on this forum many years ago, I gave it a try, and so far it seems to work!
First some testing:

50voiWQ.jpg

kb3wQMF.jpg

The test gave me 80 watt to the lamp, and I think that's pretty good for a $28 ballast. And while the lamp is rated for 180 watt, I wouldn't be able to run that much power in this plastic host anyway. I would however, love to do a resistor mod if possible, so I got around 90-100 watt to the lamp. Any advice on that, let me know.

When I got the ballast, I immediately saw it wasn't going to fit inside. So I removed it from the alu housing, and glued on some heatsinks.

v68xO9m.jpg

8h2Q0pU.jpg

The result is a significantly smaller ballast!

mwl0YkT.jpg

UZGBag7.jpg

So over to the lamp modding. Started by cutting out two identical 4mm thick aluminium discs. M3 threads in the one that I bonded to the reflector. Then cut out the lamp from it's original reflector, and silver soldered on HV wires. The potting alone was a two day operation. First cement the lamp in the base, let that dry, then make a form, and fill in around the wires with more cement. Rounded off the edges for a cleaner look. If this lamp goes, it will "only" take me 4 days to make a new one :duh2:

xLa053w.jpg

kBGCkBC.jpg

xSgV6t6.jpg

oxDOQyp.jpg

4mIbow2.jpg

On to the reflector mount. It's bascially the front of the old reflector, glued on the new one with silicone. Focal length was about the same, so the fit was good. Slight difference in diameter, so I had to split the ring, and grind a little of the flange.
But overall, i'm very happy with how this turned out.

QgbTcy5.jpg

Always clean your reflector with sandpaper... Wait, what?

yFdKTKQ.jpg

6NY7oqq.jpg

c8YIEDZ.jpg

Mmmm, shiny!
tDeHVzw.jpg

Unfortunately, the focal length on the new reflector is a little short for the lamp i'm running (all UHP for that matter) so i'm not getting max performance. But it should still be pretty good :)

Well, that's how far I am with this project when I write this. Waiting on the batteries and the front glass. More to come.

PS: I came across this thing:
jQUWqaB.jpg

Unconfirmed rumors says it's a so-called light emitting diode. If you want it, you can stop by and pick it up :D

Last edited:

A_L_R_O_M

Newly Enlightened
Would like to see them. as i'm building the UHP project too, 150W version of xenonics xn-01.
I really enjoy to see what you are doing!!!!
That can help me to get some energy!
Thank you for posting!!!!!

A_L_R_O_M

Newly Enlightened
PolarLi, could you please!!!!, make an closer image of the burner :)
I ordered 2 more burners with 0.8 declared arc gap, but seems to be your burner has even shorter gap, or it just varies due to different burners or photo equipment.
I want to compare it, i want to find the shortest arc gap burners, may be i will try to ask them to make for me 0,6-0.7 burner.

Last edited:

PolarLi

Enlightened
I doubt my lamp has any shorter gap.
This lamp was sold as 0.8 mm, but compare the gap to the caliper I set at 1 mm. One electrode tip was unfortunately hidden by mercury, but the gap seems to be approx 1.1 mm. And that seems to be the norm for all no name burners. It will however shrink a little when hot, maybe 0.1 mm? If you can't get a custom lamp, you could try out a genuine Osram or Philips.
For this project, I won't bother. I'm trying to keep this a "budget build" :thumbsup: And I still think I will get 4-5 million candela+ when i'm done.

R1uYfAE.jpg

A_L_R_O_M

Newly Enlightened
Thank you!!!
I'm waiting for your results, it seems to be my electroformed reflector has almost the same problem with proper focal length for the UHP-like, but i was able to found ~ nice point of focus... still hope for the nicer results with shorter arc gap burner.
P.S i will post the beamshot of the 0.9 200W being now in XN-01, if you want...
my new burners are on their way, but for the picture they sent to me, i highly doubt there will be an improvement...

Last edited:

PolarLi

Enlightened
No problem, just post them. By the way, what is the diameter of the XN-01 reflector?

Last edited:

PolarLi

Enlightened
Your UHP light has an incredible small hotspot! I bet you would get some really nice numbers if you put a lux meter in front of it.

As for my light, well, I ran into some delivery problems.. First, the lipo packs was lost in the mail, registered mail no less :confused: Seller actually refunded me today. I will instead make a 4s2p 18650 pack. As a bonus, I get more capacity. I really don't know why I didn't think of the 18650's to begin with... Anyhow, it means I have to wait for those batteries and a BMS. Probably another 1-2 weeks before I have that.

Then there was the glass. The deal I already had, went south. So I had to look for new suppliers, and I eventually found one in China. So now I'm also waiting on the glass, again. So another 10-15 days for that. But when I have everything, things should move pretty swift.

While I've been waiting, I have not worked much on the light. But yesterday I started on the fan/filter/intake, so I can make a small update on that.

eyesonfire

Newly Enlightened
Nice project. I did a similar thing with the potting using stoneware clay..
Question.. Can you tell me where to get the ballast. I want one without potting such as yours.. Thx.

PolarLi

Enlightened
Thanks! The ballast cover was actually potted or glued to the housing.
There was also a dab between the transformer and cover. So I first had to break off the aluminium lugs and flange around the housing using a flat screwdriver, then run a knife around the seem, and carefully pry the cover off. Ballast is Beeqi brand and seems to be pretty common, but I'll PM you the link in case there are copies out there.

PolarLi

Enlightened
Small update on the cooling.
The host originally had a small LED array on the back that I removed.
Cut some holes in the plastic lens, and put the filter material over it.
It would be preferable with more filter area for less restriction, but I will try this first and see how it turns out.

opYgdoR.jpg

W9PhU88.jpg

bqbG00u.jpg

(I will use some black button head screws to install the fan)

For the outlet, I will cut a couple of openings in the red plastic ring in the front of the light. These will also have the same filter material to keep dust out.

PolarLi

Enlightened
Been busy with so many other things. But have all the parts, it's just a matter of putting it together. Update coming soon :thumbsup:

PolarLi

Enlightened
So i'm finally getting some work done here.

I prepared the inside of the front bezel with some high temp fiberglass tape where the glass sits, so it doesn't overheat the plastic. Hopefully it will be enough:

HzsQyIK.jpg

bKp57xD.jpg

And speaking of glass, that whole story became an interesting one. It started with me getting some quotes. And highest was the local dealer: $270! The other quotes where around $100. Still too expensive.
So I contacted a company in China. Well, they could do the job. But the bad news was MOQ of 10. The good news? $2 a piece :twothumbs So yeah, I ended up with a few spares!
And hey, if you happen to need a 128 x 2mm borosilicate glass for a project, I can help ;)

KWHi5tf.jpg

Yesterday I put the battery pack together. Samsung INR 18650 30Q, with a 30A BMS. Will probably fuse it with 15A for this application:

iADgBaC.jpg

"No you didn't!" Oh, yes I did! And if you know what i'm talking about, I'm happy to answer all questions on why and how ;)

I installed a separate charging cable that will be connected to the original charging port in the host. I already had a 2A, 16.8V Li-ion charger for a helmet light, that use the same plug, so battery maintenance will be convenient.

d7YpTZ6.jpg

The shrink wrap I had was a little bit to big, so I went with the good ol' electrical tape:

z4jHQm3.jpg

2VIAPKe.jpg

And then finally, I did a test of the lamp in the reflector.
The frame on the test stand, is actually something I put together for the 14" spotlight a couple of years back.

emIcoZv.jpg

BqExXvW.jpg

It's alive!

3MXlqYr.jpg

..And it put's out a lot more than I thought it would:

2IujSMq.jpg

15880 lux @ 20.5 meters, is 6.6 million candela :party:
That was the highest reading I did. On the first focus setting, I got 14200 lux, or 5.9 Mcd.

A_L_R_O_M

Newly Enlightened
Nice!!!
I'm also doing hard work on my project.... consuming so much resources...