maxabeam question

hahoo

Enlightened
just looked at the specs
says 12 million cp, but says max range of 3500 meters
the lemax, super-70, is a tad over 4 million cp, but says 4250 meters?
somebody explain this to me.
plus, any idea of the actual lumens ?

Last edited:

LED1982

Newly Enlightened
Re: maxabem question

That's a good question I hope it's answered. I just noticed each of their meters listings so I assumed Superpower threw farther by 750 meters.

hahoo

Enlightened

might of just figures it out.
watched a video of maxa beam, and the gal actually said it will put 1 lux of light on a target at 3500 meters !!:faint:
if thats right, then the numbers actually add up.
thats 4 times the light that ansi quotes at .25 lux, and most all lights are figured at i think...

LED1982

Newly Enlightened

Oh!! So if measured by the standards of all other lights in here we're talking 14,000 meters? This might change things for me :)

Another thing to consider is that Maxabeam is a lithium iron battery. Do you know how much better lithium iron is than lithium ion! A lot!

Last edited:

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Lemax Superpower LX70 is rated at 7000 lumens.
The MaxaBeam is rated at 3000 lumens.

The WOW factor goes to the Lemax light.

I don't own the Lemax, but own several MaxaBeams and a couple of NightReapers.

The NightReaper puts out 5500 lumens and is bright as all get out. Provides great full field illumination, but not nearly the throw as the MaxaBeam.

The main advantage of the MaxaBeam is the ability to throw pinpoint light. Secondarily, using remote AC or DC power as well as niCad, NiMH, lithium ion and lithium iron phosphate batteries.

The MaxaBeam has been around for many years and is a proven light. The Lemax is no slouch, but don't expect to find a deal on one of the lights.

LED1982

Newly Enlightened
The Lemax is no slouch, but don't expect to find a deal on one of the lights.

Well then I have an announcement to make!! I just received an email from Petr králík - LEMAX <[email protected]> He says the following;

If you are you interested in SUPERPOWER... we have special offer until end of this week - 25% discount.
LX70 SUPERPOWER is 2448 EUR, after discount -25% - 1836 EUR
Shipping costs to USA - 98 EUR.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
i believe the lemax is a Merc-xenon or HID bulb whereas the Maxabeam is a xenon short arc, which will out throw pretty much anything else. lumens may not be as high but it can put 90% of those total bulb lumens on target in a very small spot, whereas Merc-xe or MH HID can but out TONS more lumens but from a larger point source which causes the spot to be MUCH larger AND fans out faster.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
i believe the lemax is a Merc-xenon or HID bulb whereas the Maxabeam is a xenon short arc, which will out throw pretty much anything else. lumens may not be as high but it can put 90% of those total bulb lumens on target in a very small spot, whereas Merc-xe or MH HID can but out TONS more lumens but from a larger point source which causes the spot to be MUCH larger AND fans out faster.

Using binoculars or a spotting scope (absolutely 100% necessary).
How far can the Maxabeam provide useful light (1 lux ??) in the narrowest spot setting ?

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
unaided eyes, i've spotted targets at a mile easy, aided... easily +1.75 mi as long as someone holds it VERY STILL! Lol, think of it like a laser beam, just a hair of movement on one end shakes the light alot at the target distance.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
unaided eyes, i've spotted targets at a mile easy, aided... easily +1.75 mi as long as someone holds it VERY STILL! Lol, think of it like a laser beam, just a hair of movement on one end shakes the light alot at the target distance.

The XeVision XV-LX70 and Lemax LX70 can both do the 1 mile performance easily and also without optics help, also easier to find the target because the beam is not so tight. The Superpower (LX70-SP) can easily do 2 miles but you need optics (binoculars or a spotting scope) to see anything with any detail unless it is very big like a tree or a building etc. Don't need to hold these lights very still because the hot-spot is so much larger.

LED1982

Newly Enlightened
I just concluded that IMO Maxabeam's beam just sounds much too tiny. Really wish the Superpower had that lithium iron battery that the Maxabeam has though!

A_L_R_O_M

Newly Enlightened
I think it's just about total lumens output.
If you can trade throw and still put shiny beam it rocks..
I think short-arc must be in double action.
150W xenon short-arc for instant light, and then 300W short-arc mercury for the insane beam..

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just concluded that IMO Maxabeam's beam just sounds much too tiny. Really wish the Superpower had that lithium iron battery that the Maxabeam has though!
From my reading Lithium Iron is bulkier and heavier than Lithium Ion, but slightly safer.

BVH

Flashaholic
LiFeP04 is definitely a bit heavier/less energy dense but cycles can be in the 2000+ and definitely are significantly safer. Early in my flashlight years, I used lots of Lipos and experienced many killed packs due to significant self-discharge below rated minimums in short (months) periods of time. They're fairly volatile if mis-handled. LiFeP04 practically has no self-discharge. A year or 15 months later, it's still holding the charge. LiFeP04 also works great for automotive/equipment 12 Volt purposes unlike Lipo which tops at 12.6V. I use only Lithium Iron now.

IlluminatedOne

Newly Enlightened
The Maxabeam should be able to put 1lux on target at 3500m and 0.25lux at 7000m.

The XeVision XV-LX70 should be capable of putting 1lux on target at 1100m or so (calculating from 1.3mil lux)

Has anyone actually measured the lux from the superpower variant i am sure it would be impressive guessing its 3-4mil+ lux.

As others have stated the Maxabeam is the light to have if you need to put light out at those ranges and there is not much that can touch it at those ranges, so if you need it for something like that its a great light and i will also say since owning one that in wide beam mode its perfectly usable and quite impressive with its 3000lumens, i would also love to try the partial filter that they sell at some point which removes the donut hole but reduces maximum throw.
The Maxabeam is certainly impressive and throws so far i had to get my GF to hold it on a mountain top and use a 70mm pair of binoculars to see how far it actually throws lol

The XV-LX70 is going to put way more light out there with a wide cone of light that will probably make it more useful say for search and rescue etc or whatever people that actually have a purpose for owning such lights use them for rather than just for fun :).
I also think as its more compact that can be a plus in its favor not that either are small EDC lights

The usual answer on here is buy both haha, but it really depends on what you want to use it for, i now really want a XV-LX70 after watching some of the vids people have done for it although will have to save up :).

What are you going to be using the light for if you dont mind me asking ?

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Maxabeam should be able to put 1lux on target at 3500m and 0.25lux at 7000m.

The XeVision XV-LX70 should be capable of putting 1lux on target at 1100m or so (calculating from 1.3mil lux)

Has anyone actually measured the lux from the superpower variant i am sure it would be impressive guessing its 3-4mil+ lux.

As others have stated the Maxabeam is the light to have if you need to put light out at those ranges and there is not much that can touch it at those ranges, so if you need it for something like that its a great light and i will also say since owning one that in wide beam mode its perfectly usable and quite impressive with its 3000lumens, i would also love to try the partial filter that they sell at some point which removes the donut hole but reduces maximum throw.
The Maxabeam is certainly impressive and throws so far i had to get my GF to hold it on a mountain top and use a 70mm pair of binoculars to see how far it actually throws lol

The XV-LX70 is going to put way more light out there with a wide cone of light that will probably make it more useful say for search and rescue etc or whatever people that actually have a purpose for owning such lights use them for rather than just for fun :).
I also think as its more compact that can be a plus in its favor not that either are small EDC lights

The usual answer on here is buy both haha, but it really depends on what you want to use it for, i now really want a XV-LX70 after watching some of the vids people have done for it although will have to save up :).

What are you going to be using the light for if you dont mind me asking ?

TY IlluminatedOne,

I was trying to hint towards your words but was too lazy to go thru the whole type.
You're dead nuts on the factors, as always.

LED1982

Newly Enlightened
I was also under the impression that Maxabeam was only great in tight beam mode but just based on passing things I've read, glad to hear that it is not lame when it is de-focused.

I hope that I do a good job maintaining this battery, BVH actually made my opinion of lithium iron and lithium ion even more lopsided. I didn't know that after a full year LiFeP04 would still have zero discharge. So with this lithium ion battery what do I need to do? If not in use would I want to check it with a voltmeter once a week, and would I have an ideal voltage that I would want to store it at? I actually just read in here somewhere recently that you want to store lithium batteries at 50%. That was news to me I used to charge them full and then store. So if this 50% storing rule is correct would I put the drained battery in the charger, and then while it's in the charger keep reading it with a voltmeter until I see it at an ideal storage voltage (50%?), and then take it off charger and store it?

Another thing that raises my concern is hearing that LiFeP04 is significantly safer! Wow all I hear in that sentence is lithium ion is significantly more dangerous! Well for years I apparently never had a problem, now that I have a more substantial and expensive ion battery can you let me know exactly where this danger lies? Is the danger mostly present while it's charging (in other words do not ever ever leave your house while it is charging!)? Or is the safety/danger aspect of lithium ion mostly determined by how safe or unsafe the devise you're sticking it in is? It's important that I know what I'm doing, thanks guys.