Failed Feit 9 watt LED 60 Watt Replacement bulbs.

Kewrock

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys.
Just a report in case someone else has these issues with Feit 60 watt replacement bulbs and what you may expect.
So last year (Nov.2015) I bought two 3-packs of Feit 60 watt standard replacement LED bulbs at Costco.
Model BPCEAG800/927/LED/3.
Lot 280-2-15-22.
They are a type that have big white cooling fins around the base.
Exactly a year later all the bases came loose just above the threads, and grit rattling around inside the globe.
They still worked fine though.

I contacted Feit customer service, and they promptly sent me 6 replacement bulbs.
The new bulbs are a different design. They look like standard bulbs with a smooth collar (no cooling fins).
earlier this week, the first of the new bunch failed after just 28 days. First it started rapidly flashing on and off.
I unscrewed it, shook it a bit, and it worked a few more days. Then it went out again, and all I could see was
an orange glow spot inside the globe. Now it's dim. So dim you can just barely see it in the dark.
The numbers on this second bunch are:
OM60 / 927 / 3
9.5 watts.
280-16-28
E330072
4MH9
Here's a video I sent Feit. In a perfect world, customer service will send it to R&D.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkcgi-oZDUw

Last edited:

amd20x6

Newly Enlightened
I've had bad luck with Feit bulbs. I've had two of the newer smooth ones fail (part# CEOM60 / 927 / 4). They contain a Rubycon LEX series 125*C capacitor but that wasn't the problem. Both failed with a small black dot on one of the orange LEDs.

Kewrock

Newly Enlightened
You took it apart? There's an orange LED in it? I thought the orange spot I saw through the glob was something overheating, and burning out.

I got a bunch of 60 watt replacements at Dollar Tree(for a buck). They are very lightweight, all plastic, but 3000k. I can't see the difference 3000 or 2700.
The dollar Tree bulbs look identical to the Feit smooth based bulbs, but weigh half as much. I'll see how long they last. I'm still using some compact florescents that are from 2001. I used to put dates on them with a Sharpie pen. I found that the CFLs that get used on a daily basis lasted 10-15 years.

amd20x6

Newly Enlightened
The damage to D4 appears to have been caused by manual soldering of the black wire. Also notice the bit of unmelted solder stuck next to D8.

I believe the failure is related to the black dot on D9, but I spent very little time on failure analysis of this bulb. Unfortunately both failed bulbs got thrown away some time ago.

Kewrock

Newly Enlightened
I emailed Feit again. She is sending a replacement bulb for the latest failure. Whoever does their customer service emails is either in another country or does it from home in the middle of the night. The responses come in around 2-3 am est.

iamhacked

Newly Enlightened
This is why I only buy big brands like Philips and Sylvania now. Sure it can be energy star certified but that says nothing about the QC processs

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've tried a 4 pack of these newer, finless version from Coscto. Two are in an open fixture and doing fine after probably 6 months at 3-4 hours per day. 2 more were in a small enclosed fixture (contrary to the package warning) - the first died after about a month and the second a month or two later. I don't live in a very hot climate, so I thought I'd try tempting fate.

An identical enclosed fixture has a pair of Philips 8.5W non-dimmable bulbs. They've been fine in that fixture for over a year without issue.

The problem for Philips and Sylvania is the Feit's definitely have a superior CRI.

All the manufacturers, however, need some bulbs able to withstand conditions in enclosed fixtures.