Question about battery etching

bl4kkat

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone!

I'm not entirely too sure if this is the right spot to post, but if not Mods please move in the right section :thumbsup:

So here we go! I've got a question about how to etch a question using small batteries, and when I say batteries I am talking about the little 9 volts or the bigger 6 volt lantern batteries. Seems pretty straight forward as far as simplicity. Get some wire with alligator clips, table salt, water, and some tape. I know there are some other setups like battery chargers and such, but I am not going in that direction.

So what I want to know, is it all about the voltage or current that goes into these small scale etchers? What I have in mind is simply buying a lantern battery and adding a constant voltage puck like the ones found on Deal Extreme and other sites, or would a 1 amp driver board be more feasible?

Or should I just leave it alone and just build one without circuitry? I want to add something to it to make it a little better without spending a whole lot or something easy I can just solder in.

Let me know what your thoughts are...

Thanks in advance!