Maglite rubber switch covers?

Mercyfulfate1777

Newly Enlightened
Good day everyone,
i have a couple pf older D Cell Mags that the rubber switch covers need to be replaced, where can i get them? are they hard to replace? and how would one do it?
thanks a million!

Mercyfulfate1777

Newly Enlightened
I pulled out my 3C switch seal last night and it was pretty easy to pull out and reinstall. I also noticed that out of all my Mags this ones switch seal had a Panther or something on it.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yup.
Can't say for certain what Mag did or did not doin totality, but my few C model lights have a panther on the rubber cover while the D models I own do not.

Now I wonder if the covers sold at zbattery have it or not as they show the ones they have are for C and D both.

Mercyfulfate1777

Newly Enlightened
not sure if zbattery has the panther covers,ill shoot them an email. I did buy up a few of the ones for the D Cell. best prices i could find for them. Thanks for the tip.

irongate

Enlightened
Good day everyone,
i have a couple pf older D Cell Mags that the rubber switch covers need to be replaced, where can i get them? are they hard to replace? and how would one do it?
thanks a million!

Send Mag. Light your serial number and ask them for a new cover. They sent me a couple of free ones for my D and C cell ones. No hurt in trying that.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Good tip IG.

I'm glad you brought this up Merc. I have a Varebeam sitting around that I want to restore.
It's one of the very early Maglites but this one is in rough shape. Needs new gaskets, switch, bulb fastener and a spring to ever be 100% as efficient as new. Might as well get a new switch cover too.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are easy to get off if you pinch them a little.....easy to put back on the same way.

Mike 208

Enlightened
A tip I overheard given to a customer at the old Maglite Warranty/Repair Center, was to apply rubber epoxy on the bottom of the switch cover and switch before replacing the switch cover. This helps retain the switch cover in place. Many users carry their C and D cell Maglites (and Magchargers) in "ring" type flashlight holders worn on their belts. Each time the flashlight is removed and replaced from this type of holder, the switch cover strikes the ring because it sticks up slightly above the flashlight body. Eventually, the switch cover falls off. Over the years, I've found several of these covers lying around the office where I work out of (for many years, the company I work for issued 3-D incandescent Maglites with a "Law Pro" leather and metal ring holder). If I observed a co-worker's flashlight missing the switch cover, I'd give him one of the covers I had collected. I still have a few of these covers lying around. The new electronic switches Maglite is using have smaller switch covers, and are more recessed into the body. This may have solved the problem, or at least reduce the chances of it happening.