Exotic Incan - Ti and the likes

mcorp

Enlightened
Hi Incan lovers!

I gotta admit that I have't given incan the much needed love it deserves for a couple of years now. Just the other day, I was fiddling with a Pelican incan and was enjoying the nice warm perfect tint (and not to mention great CRI) it was putting out. It was nostalgic to say the least.

I thought, heck, we have quite a few custom makers making lights with exotic materials made of Zirconium, Damascus, MokuTi, Mokume-gane, Timascus, Titanium, Copper, Brass and the list goes on.

How is that there is no one making an incan? Or were there any made that my Google search missed?

A nice Surefire E1E size (maybe a Haiku equivalent) would be really sweet. A larger light for higher outputs (due to heat consideration) would be nice as well.

scout24

Flashaholic
I used to own a TnC P60 host made from titanium. I may be wrong, but Lumensfactory has made/still makes their Seraph in titanium, also. They may be few and far between, but they are out there. :)

archimedes

Flashaholic
Yes, Mac and Moddoo both made P60 hosts too.

Here is the Moddoo (currently hosting an @Vinz multicolor LED dropin, however) ...

AKOP47M.jpg

... and an LF Seraph Ti ...

KsejEv8.jpg

Last edited:

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be happy to see an aleph compatible bi-pin adapter, similar to what Tad is making. Then an incand bulb could be used in a McGizmo mule or a Haiku.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Here's my little exotic 2C incan...
A solid brass "executive" light that weighs about a pound.

IMG_20171001_093518.jpg

Brightened up with 6 volts and a kpr113

IMG_20171001_093444.jpg

Shown with its wooden box

IMG_20170911_130029.jpg

The improved output next to a typical 2C beam

My guess is that by the time battery technology and exotic luxury metal craftsmanship caught up to boutique flashlight creation the LED had already been replacing the thin tungsten line for a while. But a Haikuish light, or a titanium E1/E2 size light purpose built to be an incan would be pretty sweet.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
My guess is that by the time battery technology and exotic luxury metal craftsmanship caught up to boutique flashlight creation the LED had already been replacing the thin tungsten line for a while. But a Haikuish light, or a titanium E1/E2 size light purpose built to be an incan would be pretty sweet.

Wouldn't a 10k gold plated e1e look sweet? :)

Indeed. But I do wonder if an incan light would be more affected by the heat dissipation qualities of a metal. Where titanium would be totally fine for most LED applications perhaps even a mild incan would benefit from being copper or aluminum or (ahem..) something super exotic and rare like cast iron...

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out Texas Lumens. reusing a picture but this is a compliant P60 host and i've already tried it with a LF 3.7v Incan fed off a 20700
20170929_185125.jpg

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Indeed. But I do wonder if an incan light would be more affected by the heat dissipation qualities of a metal. Where titanium would be totally fine for most LED applications perhaps even a mild incan would benefit from being copper or aluminum or (ahem..) something super exotic and rare like cast iron...

What do you mean by "affected"? LEDs are much more dependent on their host bodies being able to dump large amounts of heat from their lamp assemblies so as not to fry. An incan's host only has to not combust into flames, and I assure you they work just fine while on fire, just hard to hold on ;).

Texaslumens owww these look nice haven't seen before

I was thinking batteries. I don't know what it takes to fry a lithium ion battery, but incans get so hot so fast it seems like heat dissipation would be a pretty legit concern. Hot LF bulbs have short recommended use intervals, but maybe it is only for the user and not the physical device. Lithium ion batteries still give me the jitters even though I'm covered in them.