2017 Kifaru ECR. Hot tenting extravaganza.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
This year there was plenty of snow and some cooler temps. As always headed out into the dark.

Downmat 9DLX. Going to sleep nicely for the rest of the week.

Got the DIY stove running. All the camps are floating on the surface of the snow pack.

Speaking of nice sleeping Billy Bass has the best gear!

I woke up to snow on my stove.

Snowing still in the AM.

Billy Bass had the biggest stove so like moths to a flame everyone crept in.

4 dog Ti stove. Fantastic. It's a dragon!

I really liked this knife. The curly Birch felt comfortable. Might get one though have so many knives.

Ti stove pipe.

Hot tenting runs on water, wood and power.

Water.

Melting snow for water using white gas. Faster than the wood stove. Did this once a day.

Wood.

Power.

Mini vortex showed up and it was looking cold. Yea just know when it's going to be a cold night.

Burn little stove burn!!!!

And it did suck!

My uncle needs a better rated bag.

Mine was good enough.

Stove taking the edge off.

Clear and cold.

I decided the little stove wasn't enough for this larger shelter. I made it for a 2 and 4 man shelter this is a 6-man. So time for a heart transplant. One of the pros to packing in with a pulk sled.

A late arrival.

Some of my critical kit I keep ready to go.

1. Mora 2000.
2. FAK.
3. Armytek Wizard Pro XHP-50 headlamp.

The new stove worked wonderful. Homemade lentil soup. Made from scratch in camp.

It's a big stove. The kettle holds more than 35 oz.

More snow.

Bacon and eggs in the AM.

Overcast raw day.

Hurt my heal so this was the first time during the outing I was any real distance from camp. I had big plans on friction fire and chaga hunting but was just too crippled. Felt god enough this day to do this.

Snow shoes.

Fire.

Back at camp in Ken's 8-man. I like this method of stacking wood behind the stove to dry.

Good times in the tent.

My 6-man large stove still had coals from the AM. Still had some wood as well.

It ignited on just the old coals. The Kifaru Large stove, Riley spark box, adjustable angle pipe with Kifaru collar and two spark screens made for a monster heater in the 6-man.

Packed up in record time as was being stalked by a nasty winter storm. It caught us and the 200 mile drive back took 6 hours of nail biting driving fun.

Here is a video of the adventure for those with way too much time on their hands. Thanks for looking!

nbp

Flashaholic
Super cool! Do those teepees stay there or do you guys own them and set them up?

Also, how do you manage to do so much backcountry camping? I want to do more of this but most places around only want you to camp where they say which puts you where other people are.

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately you are so right nbp. Here in California we can't go anywhere that is not overcrowded. I'm so lucky to have 4 acres off grid a few miles outside Yosemite. Can go for a week or 2 and see nobody. No cell reception. It's amazing..

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened
Looks like it was a great trip. Long Trail, bacon, kielbasa, and great company; what more can you ask for?

As always, thanks for sharing your campfire.

Bob

Last edited:

irongate

Enlightened
Thanks WW for the great pictures and story of your camping experience. In my younger years YES, now it would be hard to do even though I still have some old equipment from years ago.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Super cool! Do those teepees stay there or do you guys own them and set them up?

Also, how do you manage to do so much backcountry camping? I want to do more of this but most places around only want you to camp where they say which puts you where other people are.

The tipis are portable and actually UL so they go with us. One pro about winter camping is very often it doesn't take all that long to get away from people. I know trails in town which don't hardly see a foot print in the snow all winter except for me and the critters but at times cross roads etc etc etc.