Be your own vehicle.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Many people myself include are gear hounds. We constantly look for the best flashlight, knife, headlamp, pack and shelter. Crave the best EDC stuff as well. Speculate on being lost in the woods fighting off bears and zombies. But the most important gear item is the one which sometimes gets overlooked. You are your most important asset when covering ground with a pack. Why not be your own vehicle? You can do it. Aw heck I did it today. We are having a big melt and it's a slushy mess though there was a bit off black top aka road linking trail sections. Ok here goes.

I am in my shorts!

Maybe 12 lbs in the pack.

A bit of road.

A bunch of slush.

Getting dark.

The wizard. Yes a new one! That makes two these days!

Getting a bit colder and darker. Darker is why I own flashlights and headlamps.

I got no bike and don't care.

1000 lumens! Time to hit a little side trail.

Run.

Yea know my feet are wet! Dang. Other than that I feel great!

12 miles of backpack running done. Did about 4.5 mpr cuz the trail was a slushy mess. Any faster would risk a mechanical injury or at least for me. What doesn't kill you actually doesn't make you stronger sometimes. It might just get you hurt so use your best judgement and don't exceed fitness levels. Once conditioned backpack running isn't all that harder than hiking. In fact I didn't even feel it.

Follow your dreams. You can reach your goals!

PocketLight88

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the read! I thought I had an active day, I hiked 5.8 miles or 10650 steps, I'll shoot for 10 miles next time.
On a side note I thought about what I would do if I encountering zombies during our hike while my fiancé talked about wedding planning most of the time [emoji51]

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey WW, I really appreciate your posts. As a former weekend warrior, I live vicariously through your posts. I say that because a little over 5 years ago I had a much needed knee replacement. I truly believed I followed the post operative instructions & was anticipating that titanium knee would last 25 years or more. I had to give up some of the more challenging aspects of my hiking, but was quite happy to delve into ocean kayaking. Sadly, I had my titanium knee replaced 3 months ago-all of the plastic had shredded and there was significant Titanium on Titanium wear. As I recover, I am limited to no more that 5 miles a day on level surfaces-so I really appreciate seeing you field test gear in real life...someday I hope to return....

Woods Walker

Thanks for the read! I thought I had an active day, I hiked 5.8 miles or 10650 steps, I'll shoot for 10 miles next time.
On a side note I thought about what I would do if I encountering zombies during our hike while my fiancé talked about wedding planning most of the time [emoji51]

Naa that is great. You got more than the recommended 10k steps. Wedding plans sound scarier than'zombirs. More expensive as well.

Woods Walker

Hey WW, I really appreciate your posts. As a former weekend warrior, I live vicariously through your posts. I say that because a little over 5 years ago I had a much needed knee replacement. I truly believed I followed the post operative instructions & was anticipating that titanium knee would last 25 years or more. I had to give up some of the more challenging aspects of my hiking, but was quite happy to delve into ocean kayaking. Sadly, I had my titanium knee replaced 3 months ago-all of the plastic had shredded and there was significant Titanium on Titanium wear. As I recover, I am limited to no more that 5 miles a day on level surfaces-so I really appreciate seeing you field test gear in real life...someday I hope to return....

Knee injuries are hard. Hopefully they get that knee done right. Back in 2014 I had to walk with a crutch due to diabetic foot damage and pain. I would have never imagined recovering was possible but it was. Maybe it will be for you as wel!