Double-review: Olight H1 / H1R Nova: headlight/EDC, 1x(RCR)123A, (beam)shots, compare

kj75

Enlightened
As we know, Olight is very good at designing compact but powerful flashlights. Sometimes it seems that it isn't possible anymore to make even smaller… But recently, Olight launched the H1Nova: Thumb-sized, usable both as a headlamp or a flashlight and good output. A few months later, Olight surprised us again by releasing the rechargeable version of this tiny one: The H1R Nova. Besides that is the rechargeable-version of the two, there are some other small changes too. In this double-review I'll show you the details of and the differences between the two; let's have a look also what the increase of 100 lumens output on the H1R Nova means in real life!

two recently-released "all-in-ones", made by Olight

the H1 Nova and the R(echargeable) version

TIR-lenses and powered by XM-L2

tiny and multifunctional flash- and headlights

magnetic tails, easy to clip-on

therefore a lot of hands-free options

Here are the specifications, given by Olight:

Key features of the H1 Nova / H1R Nova:
· Utilizes CREE XM-L2 LED (NW/CW) paired with bead lens, creating clearly divided focus and flood with a smooth transition
· High light transmission rate TIR optic lens to deliver a balanced and soft beam
· Five brightness levels and SOS mode covering 1~500 lumens (H1R Nova to 600 lumens)
· Compatible with CR123A or RCR123A (16340) rechargeable lithium ion battery
· Gradual brightness changes. When turned on/off on medium, high and turbo modes, it will light up or fade gradually to protect eyes from the stimulation caused by sudden brightness changes
· 180 degrees smooth vertical rotation for the light on the silicone mount
· Compact and handy with multiple use options: headlamp, pocket light, clip to a bag, etc.
· SOS mode available for emergency uses
· Low profile silicone switch located on the head of the headlamp for easy location and operation
· Magnetic tail cap allows it to be attached to any ferrous surface for hands free work when being used as a standard light.
· Runtime based thermal management program: Under the turbo mode, the headlamp stays at the maximum output for three minutes before gradually dropping down to the high mode after one minute.

Different to the H1R Nova:

· Rechargeable through the USB port on the magnetic tailcap
· Powered by a customized 650mAh rechargeable RCR123A battery with a maximum output up to 600 lumens
· Olight USB magnetic charging cable included (compatible with S1R/S2R/S10RIII/S30RIII)

The specifications: H1 Nova / H1R Nova

· LED: XM-L2 / XM-L2
· Max Output (lumens): 500 / 600
· Low (lumens): 2 / 2
· Max Run Time (hours): 15 days / 6 days
· Beam Distance: 66 m / 217 ft. / 72 m / 236 ft.
· Peak Beam Intensity (candela units): 1,080 cd / 1,280 cd
· Water Resistance: IPX8 (up to 2 meters) / IPX8 (up to 2 meters)
· Impact Resistance: 1.5 m / 4.9 ft. / 1.5 m / 4.9 ft.
· Head Diameter: 0.8 in. / 21 mm / 0.8 in. / 21 mm
· Length: 2.3 in. / 58.5 mm / 2.4 in. / 61.5 mm
· Battery Type: 1 X CR123A or 1 x RCR123A / 1 X CR123A or 1 x RCR123A
· Weight (oz): 1 1.74oz / 49g / 1.82oz / 52g

And the output and runtime specs:

Unboxing:

Totally different boxes here! The H1 Nova comes in a carton, the H1R Nova is the "good-old" transparent plastic case. The H1 Nova-box has a nice print on it, the H1R Nova is in Olight house-style. Personally, I like the looks of the H1 Nova over the plastic case. Also inside there's big difference: The H1 Nova comes a nice luxury case, in which it's an easy job to restore the light, de accessories and the manual. Really like this one! The H1R Nova comes with the same pouch as the S1R Baton. It seems like Olight returned to this pouch for the H1R because its more comfortable during carrying the light. But to store the light, the case of the H1 Nova is to me the better option. Both boxes are complete and ready to-go; a battery is included at both versions. For the H1R Nova, a dedicated High-Drain RCR123A-cell is included, also a charging cable is supplied. Because Olight always takes care of their packages, there's nothing to complain about the package or the parts. Good point is also here the multilingual manual, that is also in Dutch! I took some pictures of the boxes next to each other, please scroll down to watch.

big differences here

a carton box versus a plastic case

the back are most similar

a nice case for the H1 and a soft pouch for the H1R

complete packages, extra to the H1R is the charging-cable and a High Drain-RCR123A

Impressions:

I've had my hands-on to tiny Olight-flashlights before, but these ones are really compact! Both lights are thumb-sized; and it is surprising that the rechargeable version is only 3mm longer. Although these H1 Nova-lights are both headlamp and flashlight, in practice I use them mostly as an EDC.

About the overall-quality of this small ones I can be short: This is excellent done, like we're used of this brand. The lights come in matte black with nice blue accents. Except the redesigned cap (that's needed for recharging) the exteriors of both lights are equal. Both anodizing job as the engraving is well done, no defects found here. The clips (that are very strong, good point) can be added at the light reverse and forward. The big buttons on the lights' heads are easy to locate. The "bead" lenses with a nice blue ring around cover the well centered XM-L2 LEDS. As can be seen again here, Olight takes care of their products, the finishing and machining is very good. No sharp parts, rests or defects anywhere. Smooth running and well lubed threads, inside the tubes both lights are equal too. The caps are different: Of course it's bigger at the rechargeable version, but it has a different design too. Another difference: The H1 Nova has a headband with nice cobalt-blue accents. The H1R uses the same headband, but this one has less looks to me. Main color is dark-blue here, no accents, only the brands name in cobalt-blue. The headbands are made well, and will last for long times. So, my first impressions of both are good ones, the lights are equal, also as to machining and finishing. Please have a look at a couple of impressions-pictures below!

the H1(R) Nova made by Olight

multifunctional lights

the same "bead" TIR-lens built-in

a non-rechargeable and a rechargeable version

a close up to the charging-connector of the H1R Nova

the headband of the H1 Nova has nice cobalt-blue accents

the H1R Nova on a cap here, nice option

both lights next to each other in "headlight-mode"

no differences here

both have magnetic tails, H1R has a charging connector

almost equal..

wearing the H1 Nova

as always, excellent built and finished

no sharps parts anywhere

engraving well done, nice blue rings around the lens

see how compact the H1 Nova is next to a 18650-cell

well cut threads

with standard supplied batteries, that can be exchanged

the big button is easily to locate

a look into the tailcaps

it is clear how to insert your cell

a look into both tube and caps

it looks ok inside here

the overall quality of this couple is very good

nice lights than can be used in a lot of situations

the clips give the lights better looks

a close-up to the heads

clip it on via the magnetic cap…

wear it on your hand…

or attach it to your clothes…there are so many options!

I like the fresh color of the H1 Nova headband over the H1R Nova's

attaching and detaching is an easy job

a close-up to the button

cold resistant, especially the CR123A

User interface:

Both lights feel very comfortable in the hand, have a small weight and are easy to use. A good way to use them as a flashlight is hold the lights between your forefinger and thumb. I always use the lights with the clips added, they are so tiny that this will give the lights better grip. Like I showed you ealier at the pictures, those handy lights can be used almost always and everywhere. Thanks to the headband, the clip and magnetic tailcap this light will help you in almost every situation. While using as a headlight, the clip has to be removed. After that attaching and detaching to the headband takes only a few seconds. The rubbers on the headband are stiff enough to keep the light on place.

Main difference is that the H1R has in-light charging via the magnetic connector, the same like Olight supplied by earlier released rechargeable brothers, like for example the S1R Baton. Charging of the RCR123A is quickly done, mostly within an hour. Works without issues. Strong point of this way of charging is that lack of rubber covers, so no risk of incoming water and dust. Disadvantage is that you always need the special charger, while a micro-USB can be charged always because everyone has several chargers to it. So don't forget you dedicated charger….By the way, the (optional) charging dock also works fine to the H1R Nova. The batteries of both lights can be exchanged, but this doesn't give extra power to the H1 Nova. On the other hand, the H1R Nova needs its dedicated and supplied cell to reach its maximum output. So, I'll use this light only in this review with the 650 mAh RCR123A cell.

It will be fairly obvious that both lights have the same interface, so I'll describe one. A single click will turn the light in last used mode. Again a single click will turn the light off. When on, cycle through the modes by pressing and holding the button. The lights cycle through the three main modes, in order of: Low > Med > High. If you turned off the light in Moonlight or Turbo-mode, the light will once come on in Moonlight / Turbo again, but the next cycle will only bring Low > Med > High. A double click in any mode will bring you in Turbo too, another double press brings you back to last used mode. From off, a long press will enter Moonlight, a quick double press will give direct-Turbo. From off, Turbo won't come on directly, because of the double click the light will turn on (for a split-second) in last used mode. To me no big issue. Same here to SOS, that needs three quick-clicks from off or on to get activated. In contrast the S1-series, the H1-series doesn't have the timer-function. No big loss to me, I'm happy with the renewed function that gives direct Turbo and SOS out of any mode. Another nice feature, that we saw earlier at tiny Olights, is that the High and Turbo-mode turn gradually on and off. According to Olight, this should be better to your eyes. Because it only takes a second to get the full lumens, I can't say that it will help a lot. But it sure looks cool! After three minutes continuously use, the Turbo will step down to High. To lock out the light, press and hold the button (when off) for longer than 2 seconds. The light will short turn on in Moonlight, and shut off after. Same way to unlock. If the light is locked, it lights up in lowest mode if you press the button. So, you can use the light for signaling too, but only at lowest output..

The H1(R) Nova has a very good and thought-out interface, many options like direct modes and is easy to control. So we can conclude here that also the interface is a strong point of this light.

Modes:

Five normal modes to the lights here, MOONLIGHT > LOW > MEDIUM > HIGH > TURBO, with a very good spacing. This is not a big surprise to light that have modes in the range of 2-500 or 600 lumens; but important to a lot of users is that such lights both have an economical moonlight and also a good low mode. The Nova has both, 2 and 15 lumens. MOONLIGHT and TURBO are direct-modes. No strobe can be found on the H1 Nova, only SOS. No voltage indicator at this light, to me, this should be a nice option in future. You can LOCK-OUT the light at two ways: By pressing and holding the button from off for longer than 2 seconds, or by releasing the cap a little. Overall, this tiny is a complete one, that has a lot of options and enough output-levels.

Size comparison:

Earlier we saw a bunch of photos of both light side by side. Again some pictures here now, that show how compact these lights are. A third light is shown here, the Fenix RC09; I'll use this torch later compared to the Olights during the beamshots-session.

High-drain RCR123A, Olight H1 Nova, Olight H1R Nova and Fenix RC09

Olight H1 Nova, Olight H1R Nova and Fenix RC09

the heads:
two TIR-lenses with XM-L2 and one smooth lens with XM-L2 U2

the tails:

Tint:

The tints are equal and coolwhite, which is not a big surprise.. Next to the Fenix RC09 it seems less neutral, but it is ok to me. Like most XM-L2 tints, little blue in the spill.

Beamprofile:

The TIR-lens emits a big hotspot and corona, there only little spill. Olight uses this system with special lens and reflector often at their little lights, to ensure all light the XM-L2 gives will be put out of the head. This means, that if you're outside, you'll get a "wall of light" at shorter distance. So, let's say for example, a usable beam up to about 50 meters away. The TIR will not give a perfectly rounded beam at a white wall, but it's clean and there's no PWM at any mode.

Beamshots:

I'll show you the beamshots now! Firstly, the five output modes of both light by projecting the head at a white wall. The distance is about 0,75 meters.

NOTE: During my beamshots session I used the batteries that Olight supplied. This means that the H1 was powered by the Olight-branded 3 volts CR123A and the H1R Nova by the High Drain 3.7 volts RCR123A. Although Olight give the same output-parameters to both lights (except Turbo), it's clearly to notice here that the rechargeable RCR123A has better performance. The H1R Nova has better output at most modes. I tried to interchange the cells, but the H1 works better on a "normal" (R)CR123A, the light doesn't reach higher lumens when powered by a HDC-cell.

Camera-settings: ISO100, F/2.7, WB daylight, 1/125 sec, 35mm

Here's a GIF of the five output-modes of the H1R Nova

Going outdoors now! Firstly, I'll show you the five output modes of both lights, by showing you both in "flashlight-modus". Again clearly shown here that the H1R does the better job at higher modes. The H1 Nova is slightly angled to the left, sorry for that.

Camera-settings: ISO100, F/2.7, WB daylight, 4 sec, 35mm

a GIF of the output modes of the H1 Nova

Time to have a look at some comparison-shots now! I picked some EDC-lights in the same lumens-class here. Difference is that those lights have a smooth reflector and no TIR-lens, this can be seen clearly at the beam-profiles. The Olight have less throw, but create a wall of light at shorter distance.

the H1R Nova against the MecArmy SGN7, both at highest mode

the H1R Nova against the Fenix RC09, both at highest mode

The second location now, the lights showed at closer range. Both Nova's in the "headlamp-modus" now. Below you see some GIF's that show the H1 and H1R at maximum output, also compared to the other light we saw before. Again, it's clear that the H1R has better overall output.

the Olight H1 Nova against the Olight H1R Nova, but lights at highest level

Next up is the H1 Nova against the MecArmy SGN7. Nice to see here that the Nova produces a very big an equal spot; the throw of the SGN7 is due to its reflector and used LED much better.

the Olight H1 Nova against the MecArmy SGN7, both at turbo

The H1R Nova now in a shoot-out against the Fenix RC09. The Fenix has an more intense hotspot, but the H1R Nova spreads the light better.

the H1R Nova against the Fenix RC09, both at turbo

Conclusion:

About the two, both are great products and can be used in many situations: Walking, running, repairing, around home, on a bike and so on. Using the headband you'll turn these light very quickly into a nice fishing or hands-free working light. The Nova's are built very well, also the finishing is excellent. It's the same as earlier products of Olight that I had my hands-on. Both lights are so tiny, that I regularly asked me if I was carrying the lights or not. About the package: the box of the earlier released H1 Nova fits best for me, but the pouch of the H1R Nova is the better choice during carrying. So, not easy to decide here.. Keep in mind that lights like these are designed for short(er) distance, they're really floody. I'm happy with the bunch of light-options of the two, but would like to see a voltage indicator on these lights. The magnet in the tail is a nice feature, but I would be a good option if it could be removed, the Nova will clip easily on your keychain.

Which one would I choose? Personally, the H1R Nova would be my pick: It has less runtimes than the CR123A of the H1 Nova, but charging is an easy job and very quickly done. The 100 lumens extra output of the H1R is not a major to me, both lights perform well according to their sizes. On the other hand, the H1 can be powered by different cells (except High Discharge Current), without decreasing output; the H1R needs its dedicated cell for best performance.

Summarizing: Both nice multifunctional lights, just pick the one that fits best for you!

Special thanks to SkyBen trade and Olightworld for providing me this sample!

Last edited: