DIY Campsite lantern, battery question

wildernessroadie

Newly Enlightened
alright, so super budget build, since I need to be able to make 8 or so of these. Right now for group camp settings we have been using cheap-o half-meter 3528 strips, running off of a 12v 1.3ah SLA.

I'd like to get a bit more light if possible, and am looking to change the form-factor since the bars are hard to pack without them getting damaged. (despite the aluminum channel, and other protection, kids are hard on stuff) So I'm looking at other G4 bulb replacement units, either 3528 smd disks, the bigger 68 element "bulb" style, or even bumping to 5050s (although I think the 3528s should be more efficient right?)

Batteries! Any ideas for a battery in the ballpark of price for your standard exit sign SLA, but more capacity? weight will be limited to 500g, about what the current battery weighs. It would be nice to jump to a regulated battery pack, but $$$ and durability are a factor. Was looking at power tool batteries, but not sure about investing in a bunch of ni-cd or nimh, and having to get chargers

Is my best bet to just adopt the 24 element 3528 disks, and make an enclosure for them? I'd like 8 hours of usable light, say just to have some numbers, although maybe using them wrong... 100 lumens on the ground over a 5x5m area? head-lamp replacement while making dinner and washing up.

This maybe a total lost cause, the SLA might be the best given the low drain rate of the 1-2w units. ( I got some 5050 strips, and they chew the batteries up a little fast as SLAs are prone to. And I can get SLAs cheap, funny thing, turning electronics upside-down so they work in auatralia is apparently very expensive.

Thanks for any ideas, as I play with stuff, I'll try to add some more here as well.

broadgage

Enlightened
Presumably this is for static lighting of a tent or campsite, not for carrying around whilst lit.
In which case it might be worth considering an alternative approach that I have found helpful.

Look for battery operated Christmas decoration lights, many vendors offer these very cheaply. They typically consist of a string of 50 small LEDs powered from 3 alkaline cells each AA size.
It is a very simple matter to obtain three such strings of lights, discard the supplied battery holders, and connect all three strings in series. Note that each string of lights will incorporate a series dropper resistor, these MUST be retained in circuit. The three series connected strings may then be powered from a small 12 volt SLA battery.

The running current is about 70ma giving a long run time from a small battery.
The light output is impressive for only about one watt, and the numerous small light sources spread over several meters avoids glare or shadows.
Though cheaply made, these lighting strings are surprisingly durable and may be dropped or trodden on without harm.

Cool white or warm white may be used for general lighting, amber has the merit of not attracting bugs.

Simpler still of course is not to modify at all but simply use 3 off AA cells, alkaline or rechargeable.

wildernessroadie

Newly Enlightened
Not a bad idea, but string lights are too fiddly for the use I'm thinking of.

So far I've gotten a few different examples of G4 replacement units, and they seem to work fine wired straight into the battery. The 68 x 3528 drops off after about 6 hours, and is only half illuminated, I think I'll have to stick to the smaller ones, still waiting on 24 and 15 chip units. But I think I have the enclosure figured out, 300ml soda bottles, with mylar tape as a reflector. There will be about a 5m pig-tail to connect to the battery. Should be able to waterproof it pretty well, and the nature of a sealed soda bottle makes it pretty crush resistant.

the bigger bulbs will just be repurposed, I'm thinking gluing them into 1L milk jugs, and running a cigarette lighter plug, using them from the support vehicles.