OLight S1A vs Fenix LD12 vs ??

ThawMyTongue

Newly Enlightened
So I am looking to replace the light I keep in my car GHB. Currently I have a Surefire G2X (which I love) along with a 6 battery caddy with primaries in it. I am looking to change the SF out for a single AA flashlight. Why? The simple answer is: I'm bored with it and want a new light. The smart sounding answer is: I think it makes sense to have a light which takes common batteries in the GHB because of availability if I ever have to "get home".

I have the OLight S1 Baton and S1R and love them both, so I was leaning toward the S1A, but I recently bought some batteries from Fenix and am very intrigued with the Fenix LD12 2017 Edition. I originally had the Streamlight 1L-1AA in the group as well, but it seems almost gimmicky and I am weary of the durability of the springs combined with the play a AA cell has in the light. Any input on it is welcome as well.

I am not looking for the brightest flashlight on the face of the earth, but a light which can coax decent runtimes out of a AA battery in the 30 to 50 lumen range. And having bright options and low options are always a good thing. What are the options of these lights and is there another contender you would throw in there in the +\-$50 range?

-Matt

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would also look at zebralight. I have no experience with either of the two particular lights you ention or zebralight for that matter but you sem to have chosem solid options from what I have read. I know all the Fenix lights I have are top notch and the LD12 is on my list to purchase (actually it, the s1a , and a zebra sc52w are)

ThawMyTongue

Newly Enlightened
I would also look at zebralight. I have no experience with either of the two particular lights you ention or zebralight for that matter but you sem to have chosem solid options from what I have read. I know all the Fenix lights I have are top notch and the LD12 is on my list to purchase (actually it, the s1a , and a zebra sc52w are)

Thanks for the input, I'll check out the Zebra.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 3 S1A's and 2 LD12's. There is a neutral white S1A that is pretty cheap and works great. The LD12 is awesome as well. It is IP68 rated thus is waterproof and dust proof. To me it comes down to what kind of beam profile do you want? Running on primary AA cells you are going to get similar outputs but the beam profiles are vastly different. The S1A is nothing but a huge hot spot due to its TIR lens. The LD12 has the more traditional mostly spill with a smaller hot spot in the middle beam profile. The tint from the LD12 is a better neutral than my neutral white S1A.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
The S1A and the LD12 are two completely different lights. It should boil down to which one you like the best. Do you like single switch lights with electronic tactile type of switches (S1A) or would you prefer the forward tactical tail cap switch that is on the LD12? Personally, I am not an electronic switch controlled light guy and thus the easy answer for me is the LD12.

I will compliment you on the desire to have a single AA light as your vehicle emergency or glovebox light. I personally have Fenix LD11's in both of my vehicles. They have a 14500 battery but I carry spare AA cells with me too. I have the LD12 but since I have the LD11's, I would rather not keep the LD12 in the car. I use to have a 2xAA light as glovebox light but since these single AA lights that run off of a 14500 can outperform the 2xAA, I'd rather have the smaller light. And I can always fall back onto using AA cells if need be. As far as getting an LD11, I would wait to see if Fenix-Store puts that one in the "Insider" deals area. The LD11 has been discontinued. For the same price, I'd pick the LD12, 2017 neutral.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an LD12 and SC52w in my pants every minute of every day and they seem a perfect combo for me and so far I can nt find anything that I like as well and I am always on the hunt too.
The ZL is more floody and great for flexible levels and runtime and is really my primary EDC and usually the first one to get used.
The LD12 is much more of a thrower and the forward click tail switch is an ideal alternative to the SC52 switch when I need a more tactical operation and with both of them I have rarely wanted for more light,although these are rarely the only 2 that I carry too.

I have several Olights too and if not for the silly clips I would carry them more for sure too.
I also just prefer the ZL to any Olight yet they are very similar and I am just fine with just an Olight if it comes down to that too.

I also carry a ZL Headlamp AND a Fenix HL10 almost always and love them too.

I have a few ProTac 1L-1AA and do not find them gimmicky at all and I have had no problems at all with them ever,I really like the dual battery option and could not care less that an AA cell wiggles i there a little,in fact I only run mine on an AA as a rule.

Another light that I love is the Thrunite T10 Ti or SS which is sold i a Neutral tint and has a great Moonlight mode and clip!
The ET D25A is also a terrific light and have been utterly reliable for me.

I try to only carry single AA lights and luckily there are many solid options!

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
... I think it makes sense to have a light which takes common batteries in the GHB because of availability if I ever have to "get home"..

A clearance Foursevens Quark can be lego'd for under your budget (seem to have just sold out of a recent batch of 1AAs). They are my go emergency, camping, travel lights with efficient well-spaced low lows, and they are easy to rig to run on any battery in a pinch. I personally love its 'bright' 200+ hrs/AA moonlight mode - my favorite and most used mode with dark adapted eyes (camping, in a car, power outages). D25As would be next up, although won't regulate broad voltages as well.

ThawMyTongue

Newly Enlightened
I have an LD12 and SC52w in my pants every minute of every day and they seem a perfect combo for me and so far I can nt find anything that I like as well and I am always on the hunt too.
The ZL is more floody and great for flexible levels and runtime and is really my primary EDC and usually the first one to get used.
The LD12 is much more of a thrower and the forward click tail switch is an ideal alternative to the SC52 switch when I need a more tactical operation and with both of them I have rarely wanted for more light,although these are rarely the only 2 that I carry too.

I have several Olights too and if not for the silly clips I would carry them more for sure too.
I also just prefer the ZL to any Olight yet they are very similar and I am just fine with just an Olight if it comes down to that too.

I also carry a ZL Headlamp AND a Fenix HL10 almost always and love them too.

I have a few ProTac 1L-1AA and do not find them gimmicky at all and I have had no problems at all with them ever,I really like the dual battery option and could not care less that an AA cell wiggles i there a little,in fact I only run mine on an AA as a rule.

Another light that I love is the Thrunite T10 Ti or SS which is sold i a Neutral tint and has a great Moonlight mode and clip!
The ET D25A is also a terrific light and have been utterly reliable for me.

I try to only carry single AA lights and luckily there are many solid options!

This is exactly the problem I am having! I have also looked at the Thrunite options... I wish I could just buy one of each!

The S1A and the LD12 are two completely different lights. It should boil down to which one you like the best. Do you like single switch lights with electronic tactile type of switches (S1A) or would you prefer the forward tactical tail cap switch that is on the LD12? Personally, I am not an electronic switch controlled light guy and thus the easy answer for me is the LD12.

I will compliment you on the desire to have a single AA light as your vehicle emergency or glovebox light. I personally have Fenix LD11's in both of my vehicles. They have a 14500 battery but I carry spare AA cells with me too. I have the LD12 but since I have the LD11's, I would rather not keep the LD12 in the car. I use to have a 2xAA light as glovebox light but since these single AA lights that run off of a 14500 can outperform the 2xAA, I'd rather have the smaller light. And I can always fall back onto using AA cells if need be. As far as getting an LD11, I would wait to see if Fenix-Store puts that one in the "Insider" deals area. The LD11 has been discontinued. For the same price, I'd pick the LD12, 2017 neutral.

I did discover the "insider" deals at Fenix-Store and will keep an eye there. I honestly don't have much of an opinion on the switch type as I have and use both back and forth, though you do have my leaning toward the LD12 - 2017.

I have 3 S1A's and 2 LD12's. There is a neutral white S1A that is pretty cheap and works great. The LD12 is awesome as well. It is IP68 rated thus is waterproof and dust proof. To me it comes down to what kind of beam profile do you want? Running on primary AA cells you are going to get similar outputs but the beam profiles are vastly different. The S1A is nothing but a huge hot spot due to its TIR lens. The LD12 has the more traditional mostly spill with a smaller hot spot in the middle beam profile. The tint from the LD12 is a better neutral than my neutral white S1A.

See, this is why I came here. Being more of a newb, I often forget to think about things like beam spread and color output until I am holding the light in my hand. The S1 and S1R do have the TIR lens and while great EDC for close work, don't have the throw.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you do get yourself an LD12-2017, try to snag a holster for it. Normally it does not come with one. I thought it kind of chinsy of Fenix to do that. But when keeping one in a car, I like to protect it in the holster. I think CelticCross74 mentioned somewhere else that his came with a holster So not sure where he got his. That would have had to have been something the seller specifically did and a nice bonus.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup my first LD12 came with a sweet little holster. Got it from Fenix Store. My second LD12 did not. OP as for throw range the S1A and LD12 quite honestly are pretty close. Performance on AA primary cells is surprisingly good out of both lights but of course I run mine on 14500's to really get them to crank.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
If driver efficiency (runtime) is important to you, I believe the S1A has the LD12 beat.

ThawMyTongue

Newly Enlightened
If driver efficiency (runtime) is important to you, I believe the S1A has the LD12 beat.

You are correct and I am a huge fan of the moonlight mode on the OLights. You guys aren't helping my decision at all! :duh2:

Maybe I'll just pick up both... Seems like the only option. :D

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outside the D40A I personally avoid Sunwayman now. I had their P25C which at first was awesome but it wasnt long before it shorted out somehow. OP you can get one of the standard aluminum S1A's pretty cheap. The LD12 is going to be a $50 light.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outside the D40A I personally avoid Sunwayman now. I had their P25C which at first was awesome but it wasnt long before it shorted out somehow. OP you can get one of the standard aluminum S1A's pretty cheap. The LD12 is going to be a $50 light.

Isn't the S1A from a reputable dealer with good CS still a $50 light without discounts?
Fenix has a sale right now, 10% off I think.

ThawMyTongue

Newly Enlightened

Seems like I can easily find the LD12 for 10-15% less then the S1A. You have a lead on cheaper S1As?

ThawMyTongue

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have a pic of the S1A and and LD12 together? A S1 or S1R for comparison would be cool too.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my LD12's from Fenix Store with an 8% discount I believe I just used cpf8 as a coupon code. I got my NW S1A from GoinGear for 35 bucks! Do not have any pictures but the S1A is slimmer and shorter than the LD12. The S1R is a couple mm taller than the S1.

ThawMyTongue

Newly Enlightened
This is a terrible forum... :crackup:

When I got here, my short list was the S1A and the LD12.

Now after browsing around a bit my list includes the S1A, the LD12, the Streamlight 1l-1aa, the Klarus Mi7 and the Manker e11.

The Klarus really doesn't fit my specs and I don't like the lack of memory, but I love the way it looks in olive drab! And the Manker seems just about perfect and at a great price point. I think I might just pick up the manker and wait for a deal to come around on the S1A or LD12.

archimedes

Flashaholic
So I am looking to replace the light I keep in my car GHB. Currently I have a Surefire G2X (which I love) along with a 6 battery caddy with primaries in it. I am looking to change the SF out for a single AA flashlight. Why? The simple answer is: I'm bored with it and want a new light. The smart sounding answer is: I think it makes sense to have a light which takes common batteries in the GHB because of availability if I ever have to "get home".

I am not looking for the brightest flashlight on the face of the earth, but a light which can coax decent runtimes out of a AA battery in the 30 to 50 lumen range. And having bright options and low options are always a good thing. What are the options of these lights and is there another contender you would throw in there in the +\-$50 range?

-Matt

I like the Peak Logan 17500 for this ... with the set of battery adapters, you can easily run on CR123A, AA, AAA, and others :)

The QTC may not provide super-smooth adjustability, but is highly efficient.

Peak are extremely durable, and the twisty design is very robust.

The driver will happily run on a wide variety of battery chemistries and voltages.

Max output is quite reasonable, and depends upon power source.

Most battery sources used with this driver will provide a very long and slowly tapering runtime.

Last edited: