tn42vn, tn40vn,tk61, take on the cell tower

hahoo

Enlightened
finally got out and tried to get a few good shots of a cell tower down the road from me.
it googles out to right at 1250 meters, or close to .8 tenths of a mile from where i shot it at
man this 42 has some kick:naughty:
all shots taken at same exposure, locked in manual mode
300mm lens, canon 40d
sorry about the spill on the treeline at 200 yards,it kinda detracts from the actual light hitting the tower
going to scout out a new place to hit it later this week, hopefully a cleaner look without trees
be sure and click for the original pic, at the top, really makes a difference how they look:thumbsup:

just before dark

32663973020_ba37a1feb6_h.jpg

dark

33004363996_2d4238f7c5_h.jpg

tk61vn

32664758230_efd2aab88a_h.jpg

tn40

32664757500_56e9c3cfd5_h.jpg

tn42vn

32231638003_121c30dbbf_h.jpg

Last edited:

hahoo

Enlightened
heres that pesky tree line at about 200 meters
shot at same exposure, and 300mm length to give an idea how much light these things were putting out

tk61

33005317926_497d553bfb_h.jpg

tn40vn

33005316126_cb370f0e61_h.jpg

tn42

33005317126_a9c29ac81f_h.jpg

hahoo

Enlightened
Great photos and location selection Hahoo!

You can really see where each lights excels!

ty sir:thumbsup:
think ill try and take my high powered binoculars with me next time, to see how much light i can actually see on the tower
when you start pushing a mile, man thats a long ways off for these old eyes to see:laughing:
i might of needed to push the exposure up 1 stop , to get closer to what i was actually seeing im thinking

eekazum

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was a bit of a topic in the Lounge yesterday but those distance figures literally mean the target is lit up at .25 lumens at said distance. The light has to hit the target and travel back for you to actually see it.

There is probably a little more math and physics involved but even if you cut ANSI distance in half, ideally with your target being a perfect 100% mirror, you'd only see .25 lumens coming back to your eyes.

Not trying to stomp on your fun man, just saying.

even then tho... now that I look more closely at the pics, the tower IS lit up. jeez!!

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Great pics hahoo!

Ive had my email this morning, my tn42vn is in the post!!:D even more excited now

What cells were you using in yours?

hahoo

Enlightened
It was a bit of a topic in the Lounge yesterday but those distance figures literally mean the target is lit up at .25 lumens at said distance. The light has to hit the target and travel back for you to actually see it.

There is probably a little more math and physics involved but even if you cut ANSI distance in half, ideally with your target being a perfect 100% mirror, you'd only see .25 lumens coming back to your eyes.

Not trying to stomp on your fun man, just saying.

even then tho... now that I look more closely at the pics, the tower IS lit up. jeez!!

yeah, the 42 is def putting good light on it at that distance
i was surprised when i blew the pic up
others hitting it for sure
on paper it should of been putting more than .25 lux on it
the lights rated at right at 1800 meters

hahoo

Enlightened
Great pics hahoo!

Ive had my email this morning, my tn42vn is in the post!!:D even more excited now

What cells were you using in yours?

hey torch, i think im runnning SANYO NCR18650GA i just got
they are 10 amp rated
this light actually could run on a lesser battery, it really is good in that respect
post up some pics when you get your light, your going to be impressed !

Capolini

Banned
Thanks for the beam shots!

I was wondering why that TK61 looked weak!! It is the stock version. I have the V4 version and tested it over 1 mile. 1 Mile and 27 YARDS TO BE EXACT!

It was CELL TOWER that is [looks like] disguised and looks like a Flag pole! It is white and has NO lights,,,,,,,a great target.My original target was a water tower that also had no illumination,,,,,,,,that is until I shined my torches on it!

The tower is only 2 miles from my house. I got lucky as it was just built 2 years ago. Here is a replica below. My target does NOT have a Flag flying from it or it would be lit up!

MONOPOLE%20CELL%20TOWER-DISGUISED_zpsp7dahc6o.jpg

Unfortunately NO beam shots but an exciting story and Google earth maps. Post #581

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?390749-SOLD-TK61vn-V4/page20

ven

Flashaholic
Cool pics and thanks for sharing hahoo, all formidable in their own right...............yep that tn42vn is certainly impressive!

MC408

Enlightened

torchsarecool

Enlightened
hey torch, i think im runnning SANYO NCR18650GA i just got
they are 10 amp rated
this light actually could run on a lesser battery, it really is good in that respect
post up some pics when you get your light, your going to be impressed !

Cool thanks. I think i may as well go protected with the keeppower 3500's. Theyre sanyos with a PCB and can Cope with 7amp continious.
Vinh send me an email earlier today saying any decent 18650 will be adequate. But id like to ensure theres plenty of capacity to go at.

hahoo

Enlightened
haha. Thanks for pointing that out Capo! I was thinking the same thing about the tk61. I have the V4 as well and I know it would hold its own in that competition,

tk61 is a vn modded light. it was one of his first, 2.5 years ago
it clocks in on the lux meter at around 495kcd
same meter shows the tn40vn at about 460kcd
same meter shows the tn42vn right at 800kcd
ive run the tests at several different distances, and they come out the same at each
all the batteries were a tad low last night , in the 4.0 range
should of capped them off b4 i went out

might try and hit it gain tonight with 4,2 batteries:thumbsup:

Capolini

Banned
tk61 is a vn modded light. it was one of his first, 2.5 years ago
it clocks in on the lux meter at around 495kcd
same meter shows the tn40vn at about 460kcd
same meter shows the tn42vn right at 800kcd
ive run the tests at several different distances, and they come out the same at each
all the batteries were a tad low last night , in the 4.0 range
should of capped them off b4 i went out

might try and hit it gain tonight with 4,2 batteries:thumbsup:

WHAT METER ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT W/ THESE MEASUREMENTS YOU CAME UP WITH?! IN ADDITION THAT WAS NOT V4 THAT WAS MEASURED!

The TK61vn was NOT one of Vihns first lights to mod,far from it.

I bought at least a half dozen other Vinh lights[besides ones out that I did not buy] before I bought the TK61vn V1. I got the V2 version,sold it and eventually got the V4 version which I have now.

SB tested the V1 version @ 598Kcd. rdrfronty tested it @ 622Kcd and my V4 version was tested @ 770Kcd by my friend.:thumbsup: This is in line w/ Justins numbers, both V1 and the PROTOTYPE which was right below V4's numbers.

Fenix TK61vn PDT
Samsung 20r
1465@ turn on
1434@ 30 sec
707 high
282 mid
51 low
Throw - 612,000 lux

Fenix Tk61vn V1.9 prototype
Samsung 20r
1630@ turn on
1554@ 30 sec
920 high
531 mid
189 low
Throw - 741,000 lux

When I look back to 2013 VEN and I are the only ones left who still follow and participate in Vinhs thread.

They say the human eye is a poor judge in regards to the output a torch gives. That certainly is NOT true all of the times.

I could definitely see the difference in output[beam intensity] b/w V1,V2 and especially V4.

Another thing to realize here. Vinh measures from 7.5 feet. These other guys measure from a further distance where the beam gets to collimate [where it can "FULLY" FORM]. With usually MORE accurate results.

To wrap this up the TN42vn and the TK61vn V4 are VERY close in terms of throw. I have tested My V4 from 1 mile and 27 yards!,,,, and it still had a few hundred more yards of Throw left in it!:D

SPEAK OF THE DEVIL MY "V4" IS ON THE DOCKET TONIGHT! TIME FOR CAPO AND I TO HIT THE TRAIL!

SEE POST # 56 OF THIS THREAD. TEEJ explains it perfectly!

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?403386-V54-Lumen-amp-Lux-Measurements/page2

Last edited:

MC408

Enlightened
2 things I just learned....

1) Don't mess with Capo! He knows his stuff and has the archives to back it up!

And 2) long live the tk61vn v4!!!!!

hahoo

Enlightened
WHAT METER ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT W/ THESE MEASUREMENTS YOU CAME UP WITH?! IN ADDITION THAT WAS NOT V4 THAT WAS MEASURED!

The TK61vn was NOT one of Vihns first lights to mod,far from it.

I bought at least a half dozen other Vinh lights[besides ones out that I did not buy] before I bought the TK61vn V1. I got the V2 version,sold it and eventually got the V4 version which I have now.

SB tested the V1 version @ 598Kcd. rdrfronty tested it @ 622Kcd and my V4 version was tested @ 770Kcd by my friend.:thumbsup: This is in line w/ Justins numbers, both V1 and the PROTOTYPE which was right below V4's numbers.

Fenix TK61vn PDT
Samsung 20r
1465@ turn on
1434@ 30 sec
707 high
282 mid
51 low
Throw - 612,000 lux

Fenix Tk61vn V1.9 prototype
Samsung 20r
1630@ turn on
1554@ 30 sec
920 high
531 mid
189 low
Throw - 741,000 lux

When I look back to 2013 VEN and I are the only ones left who still follow and participate in Vinhs thread.

They say the human eye is a poor judge in regards to the output a torch gives. That certainly is NOT true all of the times.

I could definitely see the difference in output[beam intensity] b/w V1,V2 and especially V4.

Another thing to realize here. Vinh measures from 7.5 feet. These other guys measure from a further distance where the beam gets to collimate [where it can "FULLY" FORM]. With usually MORE accurate results.

To wrap this up the TN42vn and the TK61vn V4 are VERY close in terms of throw. I have tested My V4 from 1 mile and 27 yards!,,,, and it still had a few hundred more yards of Throw left in it!:D

SPEAK OF THE DEVIL MY "V4" IS ON THE DOCKET TONIGHT! TIME FOR CAPO AND I TO HIT THE TRAIL!

SEE POST # 56 OF THIS THREAD. TEEJ explains it perfectly!

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?403386-V54-Lumen-amp-Lux-Measurements/page2

lux meter dx1330b , same as most folks use here it seems
i dont think my tk61 has ever been up to par
ive never been able to get it over 500kcd , even with cheating;)
im sure im doing it right,as my tn42vn puts out a little more than vinh posted
every other light i have checks out about right
the tn40vn is a little off the 500kcd mark but dont guess ill sweat it that much
sorry i got you all riled up sir :eek: ;)

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 things I just learned....

1) Don't mess with Capo! He knows his stuff and has the archives to back it up!

And 2) long live the tk61vn v4!!!!!

He has most of his facts straight, but him and Ven aren't the only ones still following Vihns thread since back in the day. Maybe the only ones since 2013, but not 2012.:naughty:

Edit: I do appreciate what you bring to the table Capo!

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
lux meter dx1330b , same as most folks use here it seems
i dont think my tk61 has ever been up to par
ive never been able to get it over 500kcd , even with cheating;)
im sure im doing it right,as my tn42vn puts out a little more than vinh posted
every other light i have checks out about right
the tn40vn is a little off the 500kcd mark but dont guess ill sweat it that much
sorry i got you all riled up sir :eek: ;)

You did not rile me up!!

I am intense at times and like to stand up for my torch and want to make sure everything is in order!!:cool:

I do not remember noboneshotdog Too much,he must have been lurking a lot or not as active which makes sense because the fine gentlemen only has 508 posts in ~ 5 years!:naughty:

chops728

Flashlight Enthusiast
My TK61vn V1 only hits 604k---My stock NW TN42 hits 640k (that's right in range with others who tested)--I test at 10m