Reputation of flashlight manufacturers vs laser manufacturers

Laserfan

Newly Enlightened
Why is it that most manufacturers of flashlights appear to make quality products that live up to their stated specs whereas many many laser manufacturers are outright fraudulent. Some laser manufacturers state ridiculous claim for there products. You can see adds for 10 - 30 watt laser pointers when no such diodes exist. How did such a dichotomy develop? This thread may be more of a whine by me than an actual thread topic but I had to get it off my chest. The laser pointer industry is a swamp.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Believe me when i say there are Plenty of fraudulent flashlight makers out there as well.
i think the bigger issue is that there are far fewer laser pointer manufacturers in general and even less of them being quality builders.
another issue being that unlike flashlights, there are many laws governing the sale of powerful laser pointers (at least in the U.s.) so they try and pass off garbage as high power to the uneducated masses even tho their products are subpar.
the few quality builders are often badgered by officials and forced to close their sales to some countries due to laws. (since there are so many people out there that can't use lasers responsibly, therefore ruining it for everyone else.)