hillbilly lumen box

hahoo

Enlightened
5 dolla cooler - rite-aid
fiddy cent razor knife- harborfreight

walla!
seems to work pretty good
jetbeam-bc40 is about 830 lumens, so i figured all of my light off that roughly.

my tn40vn blew my lux meter out, so i had to crack the lid several inches, and redo the jetbeam again ! lol !

heres a pic of bc-40 measuring 170 on the lux meter

32337517624_4559f42235_c.jpg

and heres the tn40vn, blowing the lid off, literally, measuring 1560 on the lux meter, at the x100 setting :eek:

32367595503_383d1fe93e_c.jpg

doing the numbers, if im right, thats got the tn40vn doing close to 8000 lumens
im thinking as the light goes higher, im probably loosing some of it out of the cooler
this thing glows like a freekin lightbulb when i hit turbo !

im going to try and paint it black soon, on the outside, to see if it helps the light stay in the box better;)
been wanting to do this for weeks, got bored tonight after my b-day dinner, and stopped in by rite-aid and made it happen.
if you would of told me years ago in my youth, that on my 53rd b-day, id be shining lights into the sides of coolers , i would of called you crazy ! :laughing:

33026215542_fdc3914040_c.jpg

33026126892_999fb32b22_h.jpg

eekazum

Flashlight Enthusiast
interesting.

I always thought an integrating sphere actually reflected all the light toward a single spot where the output is measured. not that I ever looked it up or anything.

hahoo

Enlightened
interesting.

I always thought an integrating sphere actually reflected all the light toward a single spot where the output is measured. not that I ever looked it up or anything.

yeah, ive got a hole in the top you cant see, that the actual " lux eye " is sitting in
i just sat the meter on top of it, to hold it in place
i figured the middle, top, would be a good central place for the light to gather, and not be hit by the " hotspot" of the lights
kind of a crude setup, but it seems to be repetitive, measuring all the lights, with very little variation

Last edited:

chops728

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made a Light Box out of 4" PVC pipe ( all over web how to build)---I used 3 90 degree street fittings ( no P-Traps in stock)---- I find you have to use several lights to find your multiplier/adjustment factor--Also my Dr Meter like the one you're using is about 7% low compared to my Extech (which matches up better with know light outputs)
You start measure your lights--sometimes you find out things you don"t want to------ LOL