MD 1 vs Five Mega 3P ...any thoughts?

badbs101

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to decide which one to build. I realize they're both probably excellent but if anyone has any comparative observations I would appreciate it. Does anyone own both? Have comparison pics? I've got an M31W incoming and it will need a home.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

redvalkyrie

Enlightened
Re: MD 1 vs Five Mega P3 ...any thoughts?

I don't have a Fivemega 3P but it looks similar to a Solarforce L2M which can be shortened down to a one cell light. I have a M31W in it. It works great.

I also have a MD1 with a M361N and hi/lo ring making for six power levels. It's a well made light and bulletproof just as you'd expect from a Malkoff-- even if Gene didn't officially make the MD1.

You can't go wrong with either but unless you are going to use a M61 and take advantage of the hi/lo ring, I'd go with the Fivemega or even Solarforce L2M. There has been some debate as to whether or not a hi/lo ring would work with a M31--some say it works for them, others say they've had no luck.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Not an MD1 owner simply because there was no off the shelf option, I can say the fivemega body is a goody. Mine is outfitted with SureFire 6P parts at both ends to ensure an M61 fitament with a 3P sized body. Plus it has a built in anti-roll.

Now the M31 will fit a MD2 body changed to length for 1 cell no doubt. I remember discussion of the hi/lo ring but don't recall if it was a go or no. But if the hi/lo would work, anti-roll be dam'd as that would be one wicked little light.
Yup

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, Red has beaten me to it and said all that I was going to say.
I have an MD1 with an EDC+ Triple Nichia HML. Nice light, but a bit small for me, so Mrs Yeti now has a very reliable light that she actually uses.
P

MD1a.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic

The L2M with an M31 needs an o-ring or other space filler between the lens and drop in to work proper. No biggy, just something folks should be aware of.

Red and Pete posted while I was editing my first post.

redvalkyrie

Enlightened

On Solarforce lights I use a automotive type snap ring that just fits snugly and flat against the lens and between the lens and drop-in.. A lot of people like the o-rings but I never have enough around or in the proper size. If it's not auto related, I don't have it.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast

The MD1 looks even better like this...
MD1.jpg

Not a very good pic, but you get the idea. Trouble is, with the Hi/Lo ring and a twisty tail (don't really like clickies, but I tolerate them) it was a pain to use.
Those were the days when my Triads looked virginal.
P

badbs101

Newly Enlightened

Because making a 3p size light involves mixing and matching spare parts, I wonder if you have a better chance of matching anodizing with one or the other...(MD1 or Five Mega).

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have both - unfortunately, they are both packed away at the moment, so no pictures. Some observations:

1. The MD1 has no native anti-roll feature. The 3P, using a SF bezel, does.
2. The hi/low ring was hit or miss for me. I heard that Gene is amendable to swapping out resistors on the hi/low rings; that option might work better for you.
3. The MD1 was a bear to get apart; if you intend to swap out drop-ins regularly, the 3P is easier to tear down.
4. The 3P can rock the SF "combat rings" if you need to improve gripping and retention elements.
5. The MD1 comes with a forward clicky/tailstand feature native. The 3P (probably) has a twisty tailcap, although can certainly be upgraded to a McClicky - no tailstand functionality.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

Quick Draw McGraw!
Here's a link to the Junkie Thread talking about M31 with Hi/Lo ring and 2 x AAs so the same voltage as CR123a....
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...hread-Part-2&p=4947720&viewfull=1#post4947720
I think if you used a 18350 you'd be OK, as the setup seems happy on 18650s.
P

Just so the OP knows. The newer M31s only go up to 3.3 volts I think. Maybe the older M30 did 1-5 volt range. I wouldn't use lithium ion which as we know are 3.7 nominal voltage or 4.2 fresh resting with the OP's M31W.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The L2M with an M31 needs an o-ring or other space filler between the lens and drop in to work proper. No biggy, just something folks should be aware of.

Red and Pete posted while I was editing my first post.
I used the outer spring from a cheap LED 6p drop-in. I think they can be had seperatly for about a dollar. Worked great but the O-ring idea also sound good.

badbs101

Newly Enlightened

Well I pulled the trigger on the FiveMega P3. I picked up a SF head and tail switch off ebay. It will cost me marginally less to build than the Malkoff version and I already have a Malkoff flashlight incoming. I need to let my wallet cool down but ever since I discovered high quality flashlights, it's been full speed ahead stocking various drawers, rooms and cars with good torches. :broke:

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just so the OP knows. The newer M31s only go up to 3.3 volts I think. Maybe the older M30 did 1-5 volt range. I wouldn't use lithium ion which as we know are 3.7 nominal voltage or 4.2 fresh resting with the OP's M31W.
Thanks WW,
I did not know that.
Sorry OP, I've changed my post.
I must never quote facts without factchecking switched on.
P

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Well I pulled the trigger on the FiveMega P3. I picked up a SF head and tail switch off ebay. It will cost me marginally less to build than the Malkoff version and I already have a Malkoff flashlight incoming. I need to let my wallet cool down but ever since I discovered high quality flashlights, it's been full speed ahead stocking various drawers, rooms and cars with good torches. :broke:

Good choice.
It being oversized might cause some to be concerned about battery rattle or potential contact issues when under stress. However between the stiffness of the drop in spring and pressure provided by the tail cap spring things are held nice and snug. And being only one cell is in there the issue of contact between cells would not be an issue.

Mine has an M31W to provide a 1990's incan glow with a 2014 brightness.
You'll be impressed with whichever M31 you went with.

I'm confident the Malkoff body would be as well.

Woods Walker

Thanks WW,
I did not know that.
Sorry OP, I've changed my post.
I must never quote facts without factchecking switched on.
P

The only reason why I know that is just got a M31L. The older M30 I think was up to 5 volts unless mistaken so could have easily made that mistake myslef. Though mine is inside a G3 as want the option to run 2XAA or 1XCR123 (with two dummy cells like these yellow ones).

I do wish it was up to 4.2 volts as would work out a way to drop a lithium ion in there. Maybe 16650 plus a dummy cell (never tried that with any light so don't know) but nope. So sub lithium ion voltage it is.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast

You can buy battery sleeves to eliminate rattle - I've used one for AAs in a G3 host, and I believe there's one for a CR123 in an 18650 host as well.