Malkoff Recessed Tailcap Blues

badbs101

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone else not like the recessed tailcap on their Malkoff flashlight? I just received my Hound Dog Super today and so far, I'm not getting along with the recessed tailcap button. Maybe I just need to get used to it or maybe my thumb is too short but it's pretty uncomfortable to push, especially (click) fully. I can see the advantages for tail-standing but the Hound Dog Super isn't a light that I intend to tail-stand as it's top heavy.

I seem to prefer the protruding button on Surefires better. How well does the Oveready tailcap match the Malkoff flashlight? http://www.oveready.com/a-parts/tailcaps/custom-knurled-aluminum-tailcap/prod_391.html?

Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions? Pics preferred if possible.

Thanks.

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
e035f92f343e09a395a3d63919afdbb9.jpg

tuelleric

Enlightened
Looks good!

But it seems quite a bit longer than the Z41 and the OR tailcap. With the Z41 you get a really nice, short MD2. Plus you can use the Surefire lanyard ring.

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
The z41 just has a larger gap, this tailcap will give you the same overall length. I can take measurements of both on Monday

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone else not like the recessed tailcap on their Malkoff flashlight? ...

Yeah me too (MDC AA) - the smooth ano doesn't help either. I have to use my index finger to work this clicky.

I do prefer recessed clickies on other my lights though.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah me too (MDC AA) - the smooth ano doesn't help either. I have to use my index finger to work this clicky.

I do prefer recessed clickies on other my lights though.

I guess I just use my index finger as well but that works fine for me. One of the things I like abut the original MD2 is the protruding Judco switch. I don't know if that would be a viable option on the current MD2 or if they are still readily available.

badbs101

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the pic. Do you have a pic of the Surefire tailcap? Side by side would be nice.

Taz80

Enlightened
For an inexpensive fix, Nitecore make a protruding tailcap switch that will fit. I use one on a black C2. I just tried it on my Wildcat, it works fine but there is about an 1/8th inch gap. Battery Junction has them for ten bucks.

tuelleric

Enlightened
For an inexpensive fix, Nitecore make a protruding tailcap switch that will fit. I use one on a black C2. I just tried it on my Wildcat, it works fine but there is about an 1/8th inch gap. Battery Junction has them for ten bucks.

That's a valuable information, thanks Taz80!

How does the color and the finish match with the MD bodies? Do you have a picture by chance?

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone else not like the recessed tailcap on their Malkoff flashlight? I just received my Hound Dog Super today and so far, I'm not getting along with the recessed tailcap button. Maybe I just need to get used to it or maybe my thumb is too short but it's pretty uncomfortable to push, especially (click) fully. ...
Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions? ...

The pushbuttons on my MDC AA and MDC CR123 are difficult to activate using a thumb because they are recessed. The battery tubes are slippery so the MDC slides through my hand while trying to press the pushbutton.

I added heat shrink tubing to the MDC CR123 light which improves the grip, but I wish the pushbutton protruded more.

mdc-cr123-heatshrink.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I outfitted one of mine with a Pelican tailcap. Very handy when wearing gloves.

Provides a bit of anti-roll but more important, a lockout feature to prevent the accidental activation.
This is from a 2320, but their other 6 volt 2300 series uses the same one.
The finish matches perfect and the o-ring on the MD2 is still covered. It won't snug down a Malkoff pocket clip or lanyard ring though.

Last edited:

Howecollc

Enlightened
The Surefire Z59 is somewhat shrouded, and 1-3/16" long without the protruding portion of the boot. Shorter and therefore easier to reach with your thumb than the Malkoff, but definitely stiffer to press than the McClicky.

I put up a pic of it over here in one of the other Malkoff threads.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer proud tailcaps and switched my malkoff tailcap for a surfire tailcap with a mcclicky.

Looks the same as mk2rocco's picture. It feels a bit shorter but I think that is due to the malkoff has the tailcap built up around the switch, where the surefire is just the rubber switch to the same spot.

Latest posts