LED bulb in ceiling fan?

SmokinHouse

Newly Enlightened
Hi all

I have a Fantasia Viper ceiling fan and it currently has a e11 100w halogen bulb and I'd like to change it for an LED build to save on energy consumption.

http://www.fantasiaceilingfans.com/viper/
please not this is a slightly newer version as they changed the bulb type since I bought mine.

I contacted fantasia but got told by them that I can't put a LED bulb in their halogen version of their ceiling fan. Personally I think it might just be a sales ploy to spends hundreds on a new ceiling fan I thought it very weird because as far as I know you can normally just straight swap normal bulbs with LED bulbs without it causing any problems.

Has anyone here have any advice regarding whether I can put an LED bulb in to replace the halogen one without any problems.

thanks in advance

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Unless it has dimming ability I don't see any reason you couldn't use an LED bulb if you can find one that fits properly. I've seen many types/variations of ceiling fans and lights such that some it may be possible to replace the light assembly on some to allow different options.

SmokinHouse

Newly Enlightened
Unless it has dimming ability I don't see any reason you couldn't use an LED bulb if you can find one that fits properly. I've seen many types/variations of ceiling fans and lights such that some it may be possible to replace the light assembly on some to allow different options.

Hi, thanks for the reply

yes it's dimmable and there are dimmable led e11's I've found. Do you think they'll be okay?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Hi, thanks for the reply

yes it's dimmable and there are dimmable led e11's I've found. Do you think they'll be okay?
I wouldn't count on it, do your research and be prepared to return bulbs if they don't work. I would buy locally and consider only putting one bulb in it to see if it works properly so if you can't return the "used" bulbs you may only be stuck with one bulb.

SmokinHouse

Newly Enlightened
I wouldn't count on it, do your research and be prepared to return bulbs if they don't work. I would buy locally and consider only putting one bulb in it to see if it works properly so if you can't return the "used" bulbs you may only be stuck with one bulb.

okay will research and only buy one as a tester. Also it's a single bulb fitting and that is the only light in the living room circuit

frank70

Newly Enlightened
Beware that most dimmable LED bulbs, though they may dim, do not necessarily dim "pleasantly". By that I mean that instead of shifting toward the red end of the spectrum as they dim, they tend to shift toward the blue end. Some LED bulbs like the Philips Warm Glow series don't have this issue, but I don't think the Philips WG bulbs come in e11 that's as bright as you want.