Watch recommendation - Seiko vs Hamilton vs ?

matt4350

Enlightened
Guys, hope I'm posting in the right area, apologies if I'm not. I want a watch, I like the look of the Seiko Kinetic (SKA723 in particular) and the Hamilton Khaki Field series. Besides price, does one fare better than the other? I like the idea of the so-called 'memory' with the Kinetic, does the Hamilton have any advantage (besides looking very good)? I quite like the basic look of the face on these watches, if there's suggestions on another brand of similar style automatic (under roughly USD450) I'd love to hear.

Thanks,

Matt

saltedfish

Newly Enlightened
I'll preface this by pointing out that I am very much a Seiko fanboy, and that the heart of the watch, not it's dial, is what makes a watch interesting to me. Further, ultimately, you are the one who is going to be wearing it, and thus you should decide what you want. With that out of the way, here's what I think.

Hamilton is a nice brand. They have attractive designs. They use Swiss movements, which I believe is a modified ETA 2824-2. Rock solid, ubiquitous movement. Unfortunately, that is about all that can be said about the Hamilton. It looks nice and has a decent movement.

The Seiko on the other hand, uses a quirky movement that is quartz based. So if accuracy and durability are important to you, this is the one you want. However, as RBR pointed out, it is not just a quartz movement, it is one that has been designed to derive power from a rotating weight (an idea borrowed from mechanical movements, such as the ETA above) so that it never needs a battery. In a way, this is probably the best kind of movement for a watch, since it does not rely on a battery or a main spring. It offers the durability of a quartz with the longevity of a automatic mechanical. As long as you always wear it, it won't need servicing until the bearings wear out or the gears crack. Another good one to look out for are the solar-powered watches that Seiko (and Citizen) offer. They look like ordinary watches -- no ugly solar cells visible -- but still require only light to run. Here is the SNE095P1:
1313388354.jpg

Seiko's Kinetic Drive is used in many different models. Jomashop, for instance, or Long Island Watch, carries a selection of watches based on this technology. Amazon, and Creation Watches as well. It is simply a matter of finding a style that suits you.

As an aside, the style of watch you are looking for is typically referred to as a "field watch," which just means a simplistic format with maybe a date and a center seconds.

In an addendum to the above, I adore mechanical movements. I feel they have much more character and interest than quartz. If that is the route you want to take, you can invest in any of Seiko's mechanical movements as well. For instance, I own a Seiko Alpinist, with the green dial, which is not merely accurate and useful, but simply gorgeous as well. I can't praise it enough:
b71e30a1fb868820206b81fcdf53bafe.jpg

The gold and the green go fantastically together, and I often find myself staring at it, mesmerized for a moment, while washing my hands or eating. Of interest is the inner rotating bezel; the crown at the 4 o'clock position, when turned, makes the inner ring (which is marked like a compass) spin in either direction. In this way, you can use it as a solar compass, if you so chose.

Another interesting manufacturer that I've begun to explore recently is Vostok, specifically the Amphibia line. It is a fascinating piece of Soviet engineering, and I am happy to have one in my collection. I do warn you, though, the dial styles tend to be.. esoteric. The movement is renowned for being utterly bomb-proof, however.

Many of my watches tend towards the "diver" style. I think you'd like it -- just hours, minutes, seconds and sometimes a date. Seiko has many watches in this realm, as well (surprise) ranging from the "Orange Monster" to the "Baby Tuna" or even the "Shogun."

I'll stop here lest I go on too long. I will say in parting that the most important part is to find something you like. You'll be wearing it, staring at it, and in the end, that is the choice that matters. Most mechanical or quartz movements are going to serve you perfectly, so don't worry too much about what's inside, unless you're like me and are a nut for gears and springs.

matt4350

Enlightened
Thanks very much for that. I will go with the Seiko then, considering the accuracy. I was after a reasonably tough work watch, my liking for the Hamilton was based mainly on appearance.

Appreciate your time,

Matt

saltedfish

Newly Enlightened
Happy to help! Glad I can finally put my cornucopia of horological knowledge to actual use.

To further help you in your quest, you might try looking at "dive watches" as well as "pilot's watches." Those two, along with the "field watch" I mentioned above, are particular species of watches that stem from a utilitarian origin. So they'll tend to be very plain, easy to read and rugged.

PiperBob

Newly Enlightened
If you are looking for an auto winding watch, then Swatch makes several for around us$200. I have a skeletal version and it's been very good.

matt4350

Enlightened
Haha! saltedfish, your use of the term 'esoteric' to describe the Vostok watches is spot on :) I do like some of the Komandirskie models though, plain and good looking. Wasn't aware of the term 'field watch' either, apart from Hamilton's use of the word.

RBR and saltedfish, with the Seiko being quartz based, I take it I'll hear the 'tick' each second as opposed to the faster race of a mechanical style?

PiperBob, thanks for that, I never even thought of Swatch. The Sistem line looks good.

I'll check out the solar watches too, before I spend, but I'm definitely feeling drawn to the Kinetic. Thanks to you all for giving me something to consider.

Father Azmodius

Enlightened
+1 on the Citizen EcoDrive watches. I wore a Nighthawk for years and only retired it for a G shock Mudman. I'm notoriously hard on my timepieces, and aside from having the bracelet repaired it was trouble free. Atomic calibration, and solar charging are just a few of the important features for me.