Northeastern Snowstorm Stella

Capolini

Banned
Not much to prepare,I have tons of lights, tons of batteries, plenty of food and water and my Husky Capo and his Husky friend Lakota to pull me to the grocery store if need be!

I guess that is preparing!

We are suppose to get 16 to 20 inches of snow,,,,,,last year was another wimpy winter except for a 25" storm..this winter was mild w/ about 12" total of snow until now!

Capolini

Banned
I forget the town,a small town in New York right on lake Erie or Ontario, About 5 or 6 weks ago they got about 7 or 8 FEET of snow in several days!! Lake effect snow,,,that happens a lot in Cleveland also, where I was born. Christmas of 1995 I was visiting and it snowed every day for 6 days,,,,,,,,,,,,,nothing in terms of accumulation like the NY town this year!

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I was out in the woods today getting looking for a nice old spot I camped at before. My wood was cut and camp setup. The forecast changed from a winter storm warning to a blizzard warning. High winds scare me when under tree cover and there was no place which wasn't under trees. Then read something about 70 mpr gusts and that's it. I pulled stakes and did a night hike out. I guess another pro to being a flashlight user is night hikes are easy.

Here I am a few hours ago turning tail and making my getaway

scout24

Flashaholic
Had to run out at 10:30pm tonight, long story. It has started snowing in northeast Pennsylvania. 18-24" expected where we are. I pre-positioned my generator, ran it for a bit, fueled it and all my vehicles up. Ran and topped off my chainsaws, brought 4-5 days worth of wood inside. Batteries charged, ready as we can be. Hang in there everyone, and check in!

nbp

Flashaholic
Not sure if it is the same system but we had a storm come through last night through today along with lake effect snow coming off Lake Michigan so we got something like 14-15 inches of snow today by my house. I just stayed in all day but we had some pretty big pileups on the freeway nearby.

nbp

Flashaholic
Well, if ya don't absolutely need to go out just stay home. The less people on the roads in those situations the better. Be safe bros!

scout24

Flashaholic
I'll be home around 3:30am, need to be at work at 9am if I can get there. Good advice, though. I'd rather be off the road, trust me. :)

Capolini

Banned
They were WRONG AGAIN!!! Obviously I am specifically talking about the Philadelphia area.

They said the storm would hug the East coast but the warm air would NOT affect the Northern and Western suburbs[where I live] and they should expect 12" to 16" other reports 16" to 20"!! Somehow it did, even though it has been 26/27 degrees out

We got ~3" of snow and about 2" of sleet so far!

It was challenging walking Capo! 4 or 5" of heavy snow and sleet w/ 20/30 MPH blowing sleet in my face!

oh,,well another lesson learned,,,,,,,,,,,don't listen to the forecast and get your hopes up.

markr6

Flashaholic
a9aUzKh.jpg

scout24

Flashaholic
Went outside to plow at about 8am. Got a couple hours sleep. Got my Tundra stuck, then backed into a rock wall with it. Gave up and started with the snowblower. Just came in for a nap and some food. Right around feet on the ground here right now, and snowing to beat the band. No visibility. We still have power.

Seinfeld. That show's got a reference for every occasion. I'm afraid a lot of people are going to be yelling STELLA! over the next 24 hours. Sorry to read about your truck and rock wall, scout24.

~ Chance

Need a Light?

Newly Enlightened
Up here in the Lake Champlain islands all is windy and snowy, but no worries. I have a bottle of water, a blanket, and my Mag85 to keep me warm :)

scout24

Flashaholic
Thanks, Chase. This is where I started this morning at 8ish... I should have started much earlier.

20170314_0832381.jpg

This is my Wife's garden plot. There are four 23" high raised beds in there...

20170314_190830.jpg

This is where we stand right now. Supposedly another 3-6" tonight, and now the winds are kicking up... Still have power, life is good. I think the Township is down a few plow trucks, they did my road with an OLD road grader. Didn't see him until 4pm, couldn't have made it out if I wanted to. I have a lot more work to do tomorrow...

20170314_163503.jpg

Frijid

Enlightened
When I first heard it was named Stella, I was reminded of Ned Flanders yelling "STELLA!!!" from the episode "A streetcar named Marge"

I'm just a bit south of the storm, but we're getting some snow here from it. As usual, you can whisper the word "snow" at midnight in a deserted street, and everyone panics and runs to the store. Nothing much to prepare for here, I've had everything already years ahead of time. Only thing I did do was just before It hit, I made sure my 2 Duracell power banks were still good to go. I generally will every now and then when my cellphone needs recharged, I'll charge it back up with one of the power banks and then the next day, charge it back up with the other one. I do this just to make sure that they can still handle the load, despite one of them being 4 years old, and the other reason is to give them a little exercise.

I do have a couple Ray-o-vac alkaline cellphone chargers. I figure that when the power goes out, I could make a fortune charging people to recharge their phones, seeing as how most other people my age can't go for more than 5 minutes without glancing at a screen! lol

Last edited: