Anyone Still Using The R.O.P., (Roar Of The Pelican), Set-Up For The Maglite?

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave my brother who like most folks isn't into flashlights, a cheap but fairly quality Chinese triple XP-G 3XD cell light. He was so impressed he was going to throw away his 2XD cell Maglite. It is in excellent condition so instead of it going into the trash, I said I would take it.

I was going through some leftover Maglite stuff I had from my old Maglite days and realized I still had a new glass lens and a new MOP metal reflector and a couple of high and low Pelican bulbs. These were left over from a 6XC cell Maglite R.O.P. conversion I did years ago but no longer have.

I realize there are many LED coversions out there for Maglites but most of them are expensive and since I already had most of the parts, I thought I'd use them to convert the 2XD cell Maglite to the old R.O.P. upgrade. I didn't have any 3 or 6 AA to D cell parallel convertors or battery holders so I went on Ebay and a guy was selling 4 of the 3AA to 1XD cell convertors for a measly $6.00 with free shipping so I ordered them and am awaiting their arrival to complete the R.O.P. conversion.

So, are any of you still using the old R.O.P. conversion in any of your Maglites and is it still viable in this day and age of cheap but powerful LED lights?

nbp

Flashaholic
I still have my ROP. You can't give em away these days so I just hang on to it and load it with Eneloops every so often for grins. It's still pretty darn bright and throws well so I like it. :)

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still have and use my 2C ROP HO powered by pair of IMR 18650 with deep tail cap.
I also have 2.5D ROP HO powered by 2S/2P protected 18650 with run time of about 90 minutes.
Excellent color temperature with enough brightness.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still keep my blue 2D x 6 Eneloop ROP on top of the fridge and use it often.

:)

Need a Light?

Newly Enlightened
After buying 2 pairs of bulbs for more than I should've when I started the hobby, and flashing them fairly quickly (impatience and hot cells..) I no longer do.

But to the one LO bulb I had working for a few days, it was one of my favorite 2d setups.

Now I run an HPR53 and 4nimh in mine, for a less bright, but still capable pencil beam

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a beat-up thrift-store M@g with 2x26650. The tailcap doesn't screw down all the way, so I've got a length of bicycle innertube covering the threads to make it a bit more weather resistant.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to see some folks are still using this old school Mag conversion. It was pretty cool back in the day and still seems viable. If I remember correctly, it was KevinL who came up with it.

Does anyone know of a tube or maybe a piece of pvc or whatever where you could convert it to use 2X18650 cells in this 2XD cell Mag? I've seen a 2X26650 to 2XD cell adapter but I have several good 18650 cells that I'm not using in anything.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gene, I use a piece of white plastic pipe (pvc? abs?) as a battery sleeve to use 26650 cells in a D-cell m@g, and it works perfectly. I wonder if you could start with that, and while you are at the hardware store, look into different types of tubing (on reels), or perhaps hose material. In slitting such material down the side, you might be able to find something that would enable you to get the 18650 cells in easily (and still have enough tension to hold them in place), and yet still have it be able to fit in the plastic pipe sleeve. You might want to buy a couple of cheap 1-foot lengths of different possibilities, just so you can take them home, cut them to the right length, slit them open, and experiment to see what fits. Just a thought.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
On one project for a C sized light I carried the body and a battery with me into the local big box hardware store and found the best compromise possible.

To go D to 18mm you may need to do a sleeve inside a sleeve.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
still have one, but do not use it, it sits on a shelf collects dust. i still use my mag 85 with FM deep reflector. i actually stopped using rop as soon as i build mag 85.

still have 2 spare rop ho bulbs, if anyone is interested. would trade it for 1185 bulb.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gene, I use a piece of white plastic pipe (pvc? abs?) as a battery sleeve to use 26650 cells in a D-cell m@g, and it works perfectly. I wonder if you could start with that, and while you are at the hardware store, look into different types of tubing (on reels), or perhaps hose material. In slitting such material down the side, you might be able to find something that would enable you to get the 18650 cells in easily (and still have enough tension to hold them in place), and yet still have it be able to fit in the plastic pipe sleeve. You might want to buy a couple of cheap 1-foot lengths of different possibilities, just so you can take them home, cut them to the right length, slit them open, and experiment to see what fits. Just a thought.

On one project for a C sized light I carried the body and a battery with me into the local big box hardware store and found the best compromise possible.

To go D to 18mm you may need to do a sleeve inside a sleeve.

Yes, I thought about just taking the the body and a cell with me to a hardware store and finding something that I could use and thanks for the input gents. The sleeve inside a sleeve bykfixer is always an option and thanks.

I'm such a dummy because the 3XAA to 1XD cell adapters I ordered from Ebay arrived but they are wired in parallel and not in series so they're useless in this application. They're pretty darn quality and the seller also sells them wired in series so I ordered another set since they're only $5.00 for 4 of them.

Minimoog

Enlightened
I built my own with added bits from the CPF experts. Heat sink for the bulb, tailcap mod, resistance fixes, FM deep reflector and topped off with Sony VTC6 batteries. It's a really great light, up there with the best.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can use 3 IMR 14500 in each adapter.
BTW, even if they are connected in series, pulling over 4 Amps from those cheap adapters are not recommended.

Thanks for that fivemega but these adapters are surprisingly well built but I'll keep that in mind. If this thing blows up, I'm only out a few bucks. :). By the way, I've owned many of your great creations over the years.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my favorite lights is a 2c ROP low with a fivemega lop reflector. I made sure to order a few extra sets of bulbs before they went out of production.i use it at least once a week.

Last edited:

Need a Light?

Newly Enlightened
Gonna use my 2D mag for my walk tonight to see if I like the form enough to warrant sourcing another pelican bulb.

...Granted it's on 2 D NiCD cells, with a 2v 1.2A bulb, but it's pretty white and focuses well, so I like it.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received the 3XAA in series adapters a couple of days ago. Been playing with the Maglite since. The beam seems more yellow than I remember in my 6XC Mag with the R.O.P. conversion and I don't like warm or neutral beams, (I'm one of the few who prefer CW), but it's a heck of a lot brighter than stock and no issues so far. It might be that these cheap adapters are not as efficient as expensive adapters but this whole experiment is to go on the cheap.

I ordered 6 IMR Fandyfire 14500's from Mtnelectronics who I trust for very cheap, (6 for $19.00 and change), and will try them out with the parallel adapters to see if the beam might be whiter and brighter.

All in all, good results on the cheap...so far!

Last edited: