Headphone batteries catch fire mid-flight

keithy

Enlightened
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/14/asia/australia-headphone-explosion-flight/index.html

A woman on a flight from Beijing to Melbourne told the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB), that she was sleeping and listening to music about two hours into the flight when she heard an explosion.

She was left with a blackened face and her hand blistered and the headphone battery and case melted to the aircraft floor.

The ATSB did not reveal the brand or model of the headphones, but it appears to be a wireless noise cancelling headphones that uses lithium ion cells.

I have a few noise cancelling headphones for flights, but they all use a single AA Alkaline or NiMH cell, which does not have the explosive capability of li-ion cells. I would be curious to know the model used though.

I have also got a few smaller bluetooth headphones that I've found great for running, but they only last around 4-5 hours of use, so their rechargeable li-ion batteries are quite small. But it would be good to know what caused the failure of the headphone batteries in the above case.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I would love to know what brand, maybe they were the cheap unbranded Chinese over-ear type.

A lot a black stuff on her face.

jHSYjqd.jpg

John.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Odds are it was a great deal on eBay. edit to add that probably sucked so I feel badly for her.

Last edited:

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought an over the ear headphones on ebay for £9 that has an mp3 player built-in, I asked for a specific style before i placed the order, when it arrived it was the wrong style the sell offered my an 50% discount to keep it, So i paid £4.50 for a pair of rechargeable headphones, this was 9 month ago and i have not used it once.

Just shows how cheap they are.

John.

blaw

Newly Enlightened
Lithium batteries are of less cost than the other batteries, so mainly manufacturer uses only Li-ion batteries in their products
Lithium batteries are of compact size but of large power.

So , sometimes due to overcharging or overheating, Batteries exploded.

There are many casses of explosion of Li-ion batteries in hoverboard.

Use Li-ion batteriers which are UL certified.

markr6

Flashaholic
Why can't we see her eye? Is there something that sensitive there? The cure for cancer etched into her cornea?