Do you ever START liking a food item that you DIDNT like before?

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in my late 40s. For some reason I am somewhat picky about which food I'll eat. I don't choose to be picky, in fact I'd prefer to like everything! It would be far more convenient.

Anyway, one of the food items I never liked is apples. I've tried them dozens of times over the years and never cared for them. It must be hundreds, maybe thousands of times that I've been offered and turned down apples. Then about 2 months ago I decided to try 2 Apple varieties that are supposed to be fantastic. They are Pink Lady and Honeycrisp. Instead of biting into them, I sliced them into thin slices and ate them cold. For some reason I liked them! Then I realized how much cheaper all other apple varieties are, so I set out to try most of the 21 varieties at the local Shop-Rite grocer.

I've since settled on 2 varieties that taste superior to the others, AND happen to be among the very cheapest varieties around here. They are 1. Empire and 2. Opal(a pure yellow apple).

I'm eating an apple or 2 every day now. I honestly cannot explain why I now like something that I used to dislike so much! But there may be a clue in the fact that many of the apples I ate earlier in life were soft and grainy, and maybe the flavor was different. Now there are many improved varieties with superior crispness. Another thing is that I always slice them fairly thinly before eating them. Maybe those factors explain this phenomenon. Otherwise I can't figure out what changed.:thinking:

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not really food, but coffee and beer are at least two tastes I hated as a kid. I quit alcohol, soft drinks, meat, and TV, but I sometimes do miss the taste of beery 'Merican beer (like Miller High Life, even though I only ever drank Canadian imports), and black Colombian coffee, hot or iced, has become my nectar.

Last edited:

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am in my late 40`s myself and i don't think my taste have changed, I never liked parsnip or fresh carrots, I prefer the tinned, also not a big pear fan they seem a bit gritty to me, I have only had avocado a couple of times and never liked it.

Though i could eat all of them if i need too, they don't make me sick or anything.

John.

Thom2022

Enlightened
Sushi, vinegar, onions and blue cheeses. Funny how tastes change with age.

LGT

Enlightened
Broccoli and green olives.

Until about three years ago,you couldn't pay me to eat either. Now I can't have a salad without green olives, and it's broccoli at least twice a week, steamed or sauteed with garlic & olive oil.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Lobster, shrimp, scallops, crab, clams, haddock, cod, grouper, squid (calamari)...never ate any of these until I was in my twenties...(meat and potatoes Irish Mom) Now I enjoy all of them immensely. They say you have to eat something at least three times before you develop a taste for it...who knows?

Lex Icon

Newly Enlightened
Broccoli and green olives.

Until about three years ago,you couldn't pay me to eat either. Now I can't have a salad without green olives, and it's broccoli at least twice a week, steamed or sauteed with garlic & olive oil.

Cilantro and any spicy food.

Lobster, shrimp, scallops, crab, clams, haddock, cod, grouper, squid (calamari)...never ate any of these until I was in my twenties...(meat and potatoes Irish Mom) Now I enjoy all of them immensely. They say you have to eat something at least three times before you develop a taste for it...who knows?
Never

LGT

Enlightened
That's a lot of good tasting stuff you've found your way to. Living on the east coast,near one of the largest fishing ports in the world, all of these(except grouper)were regularly enjoyed.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
That's a lot of good tasting stuff you've found your way to. Living on the east coast,near one of the largest fishing ports in the world, all of these(except grouper)were regularly enjoyed.

Got turned on to the Grouper in Florida....and Conch! NEVER would I believe I'd actually enjoy eating a giant sea snail but dang, it's good!

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
brussel sprouts. i think one issue is that growing up i didnt differentiate between not liking the food as much as not liking how my mom prepared it. in hindsight, my mom was actually a pretty terrible cook; i just didnt realize it at the time. since me and my brother have moved on and have families of our own we make sure to do the holiday cooking.... sorry mom.

petoflight

Newly Enlightened
Well I did.

I also started disliking food that I used to like as well. One of them is shrimps. I started getting an allergic reaction to it, and it also made me nausea.