Maglite 2AA (incan) replacement. Hate ugly LED colour!

a16

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys and girls,
My first post here, so my apologies in advanced if I am not in the right place. It seemed the least worst place to post...

Currently I have an old Maglite 2AA with it's 3rd or 4th (or ist that 5th or 6th?) older Krypton bulb. We also have a couple of 2AA Maglites purchased a couple of years ago with the higher drain/brighter Xenon bulbs in.

I tend to use the torch mostly for walking to/from work at night, in the sections where street lighting is patchy. I'll use a torch rather that switching on a table lamp in the middle of the night, if I need to get something across the bedroom. I am not a torch nut, and don't use it daily.

Things I dislike about the Maglite:
  • Focus unit. Hot spot is a strange shape, and flood has a hole in the middle.
  • Output is weak after one or two uses on fresh Alkaline AA.
  • Bulbs go dark over time and need replacing (pretty much killed over a single winter).
  • No switch to turn on, have to turn head and focus.

Things I like:
  • Although it seems overly warm colour, it's A LOT better than many friends/colleagues LED torches, which are soo ugly green/blue/purple.
  • There is a focus mechanism, albeit rather craptacular.
  • Doesn't drain batteries much when not in use. It seems to be good to go after a long period of not using.
  • Solid metal with no bending or flexing.
  • Candle stand up mode.

I've ruled out LED for some time mainly because of the terrible colours, weird shapes and odd fall off patterns and then price to fix some of the former. LED Lenser were quite high on my list because that focus unit is fantastic, but folks have mentioned that they are non-regulated, don't like rechargeable batteries, and I probably won't like the colour cast.

Looking around I seem to have settled on a less powerful but more 'accurate' colour from a Nichia 219B.
Lumintop Tool 1AAA, Worm 1AAA or IYP-365 2AAA look to be pretty good to me, and for around £20 if I shop around (UK can be an expensive place for imports!).

I fancied the Tool AAA in whichever form is the cheapest, but I've come to understand that there is a bit of a lottery on regulation on High power mode. I doubt I'd use High mode much, and Medium would provide more power than I am used to (with some saying a Maglite 2AA is <5 lumens). I am not so sure of the Worm because it doesn't have a click-switch or knurling to help turning.
The IYP-365 is a bout 1/2in shorter than the Maglite, thinner and has some damn fine advertised run time figures! I can also have it cheaper than a Black Tool from Lumintop-EU Direct on a major online store. The performance on Alkaline batteries seems a short-life, but I do have Energizer 2450mAh NiMHs and Energizer 4hr charger (for Photographic Flashlight), so you just use some for the torch.

I saw the L3 Illumination (hard to get here) and it seemed that the build quality wasn't too great with the battery spacer or something. This is an old model now and there are newer versions I think.

Ideally, I don't want to spend more than £20 on a torch. That includes P&P, but if it's from a major online store that offers free shipping when spending over £20, don't factor shipping costs as I am likely to buy stuff from there regularly.

If people have any input, that'd be great.
Thanks

*Note, I deliberately don't mention the name of the online store, I get the impression we aren't supposed to mention shops, or link directly. You all know who I'm talking about though!

Last edited:

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you like focusing lights, the Coast HX5 has much better beam pattern than the Mag 2AA, decent beam tint - cooler than the Mag, but not green or blue - tail stands and runs great on rechargeable NiMh batteries. I've purchased 4 and have no complaints for myself or anyone that I've gifted them to.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Lumintop Tool in aluminum (black) and copper, and the IYP365. The black Tool is Cree only unless Amazon is still selling the Nichia version (That is US Amazon. Don't know if UK Amazon has it). Both the copper Tool and the IYP365 offer both Cree and Nichia versions. As you said, for your preferences the Nichia is the one you want. I think you will find the Nichia LEDs used will be a little less warm than your krypton bulb, but still a very pleasing tint with a smooth and even beam. You won't find the copper Tool in your price range but it can be had for $35 USD if you look around. I like the IYP365, and think that would probably be the best of the bunch for your usage.

Let us know what you wind up with and how you like it. It helps us give advice to others who ask.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L3 Illumination lights have a reputation around here for dying when dropped from modest heights. That's really unfortunate. Mine is great, aside from that durability concern. I bought mine aware of the concern, because it ticked all the boxes for what I was looking for, so I'm willing to take the risk.

The Tool is well liked by quite a few candlepowerforums users. I don't think you can go wrong with either that light or the IYP 365, depending whether your priority is size or run time.

You might also be able to get the Manker E01 in the UK. It has a twist head interface instead of a switch, but the same Nichia 219b emitter.

All these lights will run much better on rechargeable batteries than alkalines. Also note they all run on AAA batteries, so your AA's won't be useful in them.

a16

Newly Enlightened
@LightObsession
That HX5 sure has a bit of LedLenser about it (if I am allowed to say that). The lens has that nice smooth and flat Lenser style flood, even if there is a little hint of dip in the middle (negligible). The focus is nice and usable too, hot spot with some gentle spill. I don't know about the colour of it though. Whilst it doesn't look like the, frankly, vomit-inducing tint of cheapy LED lights, I really would prefer a warmer colour with high CRI for other uses (photographic). Lots of negative reviews on their site though, some kind of problem with the switch? Price is good though, just over £20 on Amazon UK directly right now.

@Timothybil
The black one is being Fullfilled, but not sold by Amazon.uk. Seems legit.
Being 'less warm' than an older Krypton Maglite that has some hours on it is nothing bad. We've still some sodium? street lighting here, nasty yellow stuff and that Mini Mag is sort of in that ballpark, dim and way off, not like being on a submarine though! From what I gathered from this forum (lurking for a while before registering) and a few other online resources, those Nichias give a real nice colour rendition compared to pretty much anything else, sacrificing absolute power output, but I'm not that fussed about seeing that far away.

I have toyed with the idea of rechargeable or more exotic batteries CR123 or AA/AAA size high energy ones. But I just like the easy availability of simple Alkaline batteries. I know they are massively overpriced in bricks and mortar outlets, but a pack would last a month long vacation without a problem, if I forgot them or something dumb like that. Having to search for a more bespoke battery could be tough, and even more expensive. Rechargeable torches come with their own set of potential problems, keeping the connector clean and dry, not losing the cable..yadda yadda. I'll try to keep things simple for myself.

Thanks for the input folks. Of course, I'll report back with what I end with, I'll try and take some images too...whatever it will be, it'll be laughable comparing to that Mini Maglite!

a16

Newly Enlightened
@iamlucky13
AA > AAA, of course, yeah. See that is a perfect example of why I need to keep things simple!!!
Well, I've got the charger and finding some AAA batteries shouldn't be too tough of expensive.
I do have a tendency to be clumsy, so maybe the L3 might not be best for me. I'll take a look at the Manker too, thanks for that.

My charger is the older Energizer Accu Universal lumpy oval shaped one, with the 4 level indicators, 4 bays and 2 PP3 bays.
Spits out 2x AA 2.8v DC @ 650mAH or 2x AAA 2.8v DC 400mAH, so a little while to charge some NiMHs.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
@iamlucky13
AA > AAA, of course, yeah. See that is a perfect example of why I need to keep things simple!!!
Well, I've got the charger and finding some AAA batteries shouldn't be too tough of expensive.
I do have a tendency to be clumsy, so maybe the L3 might not be best for me. I'll take a look at the Manker too, thanks for that.

My charger is the older Energizer Accu Universal lumpy oval shaped one, with the 4 level indicators, 4 bays and 2 PP3 bays.
Spits out 2x AA 2.8v DC @ 650mAH or 2x AAA 2.8v DC 400mAH, so a little while to charge some NiMHs.
Amazon sells some very nice AAA NiMH cells under their Amazon Basics brand. You might want to step up to a little better charger. The Nitecore D2 or D4 would be a good one, or the Xtar VC4. DO NOT try using 10440 cells in a light designed for AAA, especially if it is a two cell light. The same for 14500 instead of AA. People will say it will work, but continued use usually burns out the driver so that light goes on direct drive and you lose any possible modes except full on, and the light will dim with age, just like your Maglite. Energizer Lithium primaries work real well, are lighter (not that it makes a lot of difference is the lights we're talking about), have better cold weather performance, and absolutely will not leak and corrode on you. They cost more, but usually last about twice as long as alkaline cells, so at least for me the trade off is worth it.

Need a Light?

Newly Enlightened
Honestly, I have to say. The Pelican 3315 (160? Lumen green one, one mode) is my favorite walking light.

Pelican doesn't get much attention here, and rightfully so. They're mostly specialty lights, like explosion proof (this one is). They're somewhat overpriced for what they bring to the table as a result.

But golly. I wanted a decent plastic LED flashlight and this one delivered. I like plastic (durable like nylon or frn) because drops are less of an issue, and it's warmer in the cold, and more teeth friendly should need be.

This light has a surprisingly neutral (read white) tint, was just under $30, and has the widest spill of almost any light I own. And I love the single mode with a very very comfortable shape and great button.

You turn it on, go for a walk, turn it off. It's foolproof, waterproof, and yes, explosion proof*

*won't cause one, not that it can resist one :)

So yeah, this light is my favorite AA based light I own.

a16

Newly Enlightened
@Timothybil
I've seen those Amazon Basics NiMHs. Some claim they could be re-branded Sanyo/Panasonic Japanese Eneloop cells, but others have said there are re-branded Chinese ones floating about too. Reading the reviews on them, folks seem to indicate that at least some varieties of the Basics are larger in dimensions than standard alkalines. I have noticed this with a Uniross PP3 9V NiMH that I have, it simply won't fit in some devices that accept a PP3. Perhaps it's tolerance, or lack of in the devices, but it seems strange that the batteries aren't made to exact outer dimensions...a standard if you will.

Whilst I don't think my old Energizer Accu Universal charger is bad, there definitely are better units around for a sensible price. I'd have to ask myself the question of how much use vs. price.
It seems there are quite a few chargers about now that offer nice features. Looks like the market has a few re-brand/clones/copies and knockoffs about, so there's something to watch out for.

Either way, I don't think I have any reason to steer away from NiMH batteries, as long as I can also use regular Alkaline, even if the performance isn't as good, just as a backup.
I would prefer AA over AAA as they have more mAH capacity, but have no real aversion to buying a pack of AAA NiMHs (Energizer, Eneloop, PowerEx etc).

Though I am steering off topic somewhat, and I am sure there must be threads on this forum about batteries and chargers.

I took another look at my Mini Maglite, and lets be honest, in flood mode it's near useless because of the non-existent centre(-er) area. So really it has to be twisted to almost full focused spot to be of any use. The spill from the hot spot isn't as nice as what I am seeing from most of these orange skin reflector beam shots. So really, these non-focusable torches are definitely no worse than a Mini Maglite in that respect, from what I can see. Sure, I'd love the novelty of a LED Lenser/Coast style flat wide spill floor and sharper zoom, but I honestly don't think I need it.
I think I am more concerned with the colour cast and perception depth rendering of the light. Nichia 219B seems to be a real favourite and highly regarded for it's colour. Maybe I am reading too much into it, but I really do fancy this colour rendering over most others. Yes, of course, the Mini Maglite is very warm, but still gives a good idea of depth, even if the colours are overly tinged.

I'll update a list of what I am liking:

(prices at time of writing, p&p where applicable)

Lumintop:

• IYP-365 / 2xAAA / Nichia 219B (£16.80 free p&p >£20)
  • Tool / 1xAAA / Nichia 219 (£17.97 free p&p >£20)

Nitecore:
  • MT06MD / 2xAAA / Nichia 219B (~£30 guess)

4x AAA 800mAH NiMH ~£5-£6

**update: Just seen that the IYP-365 might have some switch problems. Noted on another forum, BLF. Bugger.

a16

Newly Enlightened
The Nitecore MT06 (Cree) is out of stock on the UK distributor site but is £31.95 free p&p >£30.

The UK has always been a ripoff for imports. I was looking at Fender guitars when they exchange rate was nearly $2/£1. A new USA Stratocaster was about $800 = £400 + shipping + 20% import duty, so around £550. Nah, shops still wanted about £800. It's almost as if the only thing this silly little Island country does is to take the dollar sign off and replace it with a pound sign, keep all the numbers the same. Now, with the pound set to become worthless next week (maybe it was always a bit inflated), and all business running away back over the Channel, I can only expect things to get a whole lot more expensive. Heck we've had a scare about Marmite!

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Timothybil
I've seen those Amazon Basics NiMHs. Some claim they could be re-branded Sanyo/Panasonic Japanese Eneloop cells, but others have said there are re-branded Chinese ones floating about too. Reading the reviews on them, folks seem to indicate that at least some varieties of the Basics are larger in dimensions than standard alkalines.

I just received a set of the AmazonBasics high capacity AA's this weekend. They are made in Japan. It appears to me Amazon used to source their NiMH batteries from a Chinese manufacturer, then switched 2-3 years ago to a Japanese manufacturer. Given the similarities in appearance and discharge curves, I could very easily believe they are rebranded Eneloops.

I know the dimensions are slightly bigger, but it's usually not enough to be a problem, and I've not heard that the Basics are any larger than the Eneloops. If you're worried about a particular light, you can usually ask and find somebody else who owns it and uses Eneloops in it.

I'll repeat my suggestion above that as long as the medium > low > high mode sequence is acceptable to you, I don't think you can go wrong with a Lumintop Tool.

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I've ruled out LED for some time...

Some have for all time.

Ideally, I don't want to spend more than £20 on a torch.

Give it time! For that which you will pay, that is what you will get. Forgive me for ignoring your price requirements (the pound sterling is currently weak against the dollar (blame Brexit)), and I ask CPF to forgive me for what is mostly a cross-post, but I worked hard on it, and it may make OP very satisfied.

If you're willing to invest in a quality incandescent lighting tool, Surefire is a brand you'll want, though you'll sometimes have to do some digging to get it all together. Surefire is only "expensive," due to supply and demand. And it is an investment that will hold its value, and sometimes appreciate in value, especially incan E-series.

If you can find an unmodified E-series Elite head, they're usually pretty affordable. Along with a Tad Customs E-socket and lamps, and one of fivemega's E-series thread compatible bodies, or a UBH host, or a Malkoff E-series thread compatible host (one ; two ; three ; four. ; when they're in stock) it isn't too difficult to get in under $100 total.

Or just go for the original compact E, or its bigger brother, or with a tube for safer and more widely available celled brother with the Elite head (which some say is what Mag should have been), or its hybrid cousin, or its daddy (6P is still available new on Amazon and eBay).

Last edited:

a16

Newly Enlightened
@chillinn
I appreciate your input. I respect your sentiment, and in part do agree with the old idea that you buy cheap you buy twice (done that a few times over with guitar gear, which makes me a ditherer now!).
When I put a £20 price up, I would of course stretch it if it was worth it, and 1.5x that price would be acceptable for a solid and reliable unit. However, I'm very reluctant to go much higher on something that I wouldn't use all that much. If it was for work and I was self employed, I would have set the price higher, as it'd be paid for by clients and I'd not be paying tax, that's how it works in the UK, whether HMRC likes it or not.

Those Mini Maglites are cheap (now) and just plain work. It's just that they don't really offer to do a lot of work. They don't fail, that's for sure. There seems to be a theme on clicky switches though, quite a lot of torches suffer from issues with clicky switches. I do appreciate bad news travels fast, good news travels slower and acceptable performs goes by the wayside. Who writes to say something work OK?

I don't fancy pre-owned. Lack of warranty concerns me, and I am (probably overly) sceptical of the auction sites. When I do buy from them, it's not often.

@iamlucky13
I have no qualms about the M>L>H order. Looking at the Low mode, it simply doesn't look to be enough to walk around at night outside by, which means than Medium would have to be jumped to. This just saves an extra click. I doubt I'd even use the High mode. The IYP365 looks preferable at the moment over the Tool because of the additional run time from 2 cells.

I appreciate the feedback and discussion re. Amazon Basic batteries. Slightly larger than Alkaline should be a good thing in some of these torches as there seems to be some wiggle room in the tube. With a spring, height doesn't matter too much.
It seems the High-Capacity min. 800mAH 500 cycles (HR-4UTHA: Fujitsu?) are better than the plain min. 750mAH ???cycles (4UTG: Eneloop). Although both say made in Japan, they probably are. I'd probably add a pack of 4 of either (or both) anyway with my next purchase.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I put a £20 price up, I would of course stretch it if it was worth it
I completely understand your reservations. But... bear with me, mods, this is not really off topic...
I'm going to be 46 years old, and my entire life, I do not ever recall the pound sterling being worth less than $2.55, and for most of the time I think it was very close to $3. Right at the moment, as I mentioned I believe it is due to Brexit, the £ and $ are super close, so close every American citizen should probably take a vacation in Great Britain while they have the chance. But do not worry, because I seriously doubt it will be long before the pound sterling recovers, against the dollar, at least. Please give our super smart new President a chance to weaken our economy. He has somehow managed to make himself about $1B poorer in the short time he has been in office, and there is little doubt he will help all Americans go on a similar massive bank account diet.

You do see this?... that £20 traditionally would be about dead on with the estimated cost of my suggestions, and it is only very recent events that have nearly equalized the £ to the $.

Also, you really need to see what a Surefire incandescent output is like for yourself. It is nothing like Mag, and it is really a lot closer to a perfect LED beam, except it is incandescent (at least the incan Surefire's are). You must find someone where you are that uses one, and try it out, and then wait in the tall grasses for the dollar to fail sometime in the next 4 years.

a16

Newly Enlightened
I completely understand your reservations. But... bear with me, mods, this is not really off topic...
You do see this?... that £20 traditionally would be about dead on with the estimated cost of my suggestions, and it is only very recent events that have nearly equalized the £ to the $.

Also, you really need to see what a Surefire incandescent output is like for yourself. It is nothing like Mag, and it is really a lot closer to a perfect LED beam, except it is incandescent (at least the incan Surefire's are). You must find someone where you are that uses one, and try it out, and then wait in the tall grasses for the dollar to fail sometime in the next 4 years.

I think I did look at the Surfire Incandescent lights once, I honestly can't remember why I didn't jump on one then, it must have been a couple of years ago. I'm shooting in the dark (bad pun for this forum) here, but I think it may have been lesser availability, power use or some kind of reason that put me off. Maybe it was a lack of availability in the UK - this really is a strange place.

Certainly, waiting it out to see where all the chips lay I may end up looking at that particular type of light then. I do appreciate your input, not trying to be flippantly discarding. Later on down the line, if they are available, and aren't commanding collectors item status, then I may do that, but right now, I think something reasonably low in price, fairly small and running on NiMH would do me nicely. I just gotta pick what.

My mouse finger is really itching to hit "add to cart" on the IYP365 and a pack of 4x AAA 800-850mAH NiMHs for less than £24, fullfilled so I get a decent returns policy.
Just for comparison, for some messed up reason, Amazon is selling a Mini Maglite for over £15! We bought 2x in boxes a couple of years ago for a tenner each from Argos. I can definitely say a Mini Maglite shouldn't cost more than £10, unless it's a special collectable.

Aye, sorry mods. I'll avoid politics. Can I still say my country is expensive though?

Need a Light?

Newly Enlightened
As for the high capacity vs regular capacity eneloops. The regular are much hardier, offering many many more recharge cycles, have lower self discharge, and have a much higher tolerance for abuse whether physical or over discharge etc.

Just my $.02 but for the added runtime, the high cap aaa do have some drawbacks

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
As for the high capacity vs regular capacity eneloops. The regular are much hardier, offering many many more recharge cycles, have lower self discharge, and have a much higher tolerance for abuse whether physical or over discharge etc.

Just my $.02 but for the added runtime, the high cap aaa do have some drawbacks
I debated the same numbers when I got my AB LSD High Capacity AA cells (2550mAh). The way I looked at it, even if I recharged my cells every day, they would still last almost two years. At a price of $0.25 per alkaline cell,and assuming twice the capacity of the NiMH cells, I would have expended $62.50 for alkaline cells. Since I already had a compatible charger that was a sunk cost, and I paid less than $20 for eight cells, the savings are significant for me. Since I don't use my cells that hard, by the time I need new ones the AA cell will probably be as extinct as the old carbon-zinc cells, if not more so. We are already seeing primary LiFePO2 cells in AA form factor running 3.7v, at about the same price as regular Lithium Primaries.