• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Olight S2R Issues

CrashedWindows95

Newly Enlightened
Howdy CandlePower! Sorry for this super long post, I'm just seeking some help with my very first light.

I just got my Olight S2R in Monday of this week, and it's my first "real" flashlight. I EDC it and it's the perfect size, easy to use, and just perfect for me. I REALLY want to like this light, however, there are a few things that are bothering me. (I'm kind of picky).

1. Is it normal for the light to flicker in High and Turbo mode when the battery is "low". Today (while testing the light; nothing incredibly strenuous) I noticed that sometimes after the light sat while turned off for about 1 min., when it would turn on into High or Turbo mode, it would flicker and dim and look almost like it had a short in it. Is that normal? When the light does flicker, sometimes it won't go into turbo mode and just stay in high mode.
  2. The low battery light comes on (sometimes when the light starts to flicker), however, if I turn the light off and then immediately back on, the low power light goes away, and there's no more flicker.
  3. When I'm roughly 9ft. from the wall in my room, I can see lines in the beam on all modes (except for moonlight mode). The lines originate from the center and go outwards from there, and are hardly visible if the light is completely still, but if you rotate or just barely move the light, you can see the lines in it. I looked into the lens with the light off, and I can see some white pieces suspended in the lens. I'm not sure if that's whats causing the lines in the beam , but about 1/4 of the beam is just barely dimmer than the rest of the beam. That 1/4 is also the one that has the lines in it.
Did I get a defective light? I've already contacted Olight support about a faulty charger (mine kept showing me yellow or red even after over 7 hours of charging); this was before today when I noticed an issue with the beam/throw and had flickering issues. They're about to ship me a new tailcap and charger which should fix the charging issue, according to them. However, I haven't emailed them yet about the other issues.

Are any of these common issues? Or are they just normal characteristics of the light?

Thanks for your help everyone!

March 24, 2017 EDIT: The flickering issue was a faulty tail cap; I should be receiving a new one soon. The white pieces in the TIR lens is a defect and the light is being sent back to Olight in GA. They said they'll replace it with a new one. Will update when I receive new light.

Last edited:

Dutch Moose

Newly Enlightened
Howdy CandlePower! Sorry for this super long post, I'm just seeking some help with my very first light.

I just got my Olight S2R in Monday of this week, and it's my first "real" flashlight. I EDC it and it's the perfect size, easy to use, and just perfect for me. I REALLY want to like this light, however, there are a few things that are bothering me. (I'm kind of picky).

1. Is it normal for the light to flicker in High and Turbo mode when the battery is "low". Today (while testing the light; nothing incredibly strenuous) I noticed that sometimes after the light sat while turned off for about 1 min., when it would turn on into High or Turbo mode, it would flicker and dim and look almost like it had a short in it. Is that normal? When the light does flicker, sometimes it won't go into turbo mode and just stay in high mode.
  2. The low battery light comes on (sometimes when the light starts to flicker), however, if I turn the light off and then immediately back on, the low power light goes away, and there's no more flicker.
  3. When I'm roughly 9ft. from the wall in my room, I can see lines in the beam on all modes (except for moonlight mode). The lines originate from the center and go outwards from there, and are hardly visible if the light is completely still, but if you rotate or just barely move the light, you can see the lines in it. I looked into the lens with the light off, and I can see some white pieces suspended in the lens. I'm not sure if that's whats causing the lines in the beam , but about 1/4 of the beam is just barely dimmer than the rest of the beam. That 1/4 is also the one that has the lines in it.
Did I get a defective light? I've already contacted Olight support about a faulty charger (mine kept showing me yellow or red even after over 7 hours of charging); this was before today when I noticed an issue with the beam/throw and had flickering issues. They're about to ship me a new tailcap and charger which should fix the charging issue, according to them. However, I haven't emailed them yet about the other issues.

Are any of these common issues? Or are they just normal characteristics of the light?

Thanks for your help everyone!

March 24, 2017 EDIT: The flickering issue was a faulty tail cap; I should be receiving a new one soon. The white pieces in the TIR lens is a defect and the light is being sent back to Olight in GA. They said they'll replace it with a new one. Will update when I receive new light.

Had the same flickering issue with both of the S2R's I bought. Found out that the problem is in the cap indeed. Thing is that that magnet and contacts in the cap are screwed in with the same thread as the cap is screwed on the flashlight. But when this magnet and contact thingy is getting Loose it unscrews and therefor it does not make right contact. Result: flickering or not burning light.
And or charging issues. The red light is not burning red but is a weak Amber/oranje light. In the worst case it gives the green light as if the light is fully charged.
So if you have this flickering or bad charging trouble with you Olight S2R Rechargeble the fix can be easy. Just screw in the contacts which can be done with a small screwdriver. Just put it in the small spaces in the outer ring and screw. Hope this helps other people as well.

Cheers
Dutch Moose
The Netherlands