Philips 60w equiv LED dusk-to-dawn bulb

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Just spotted these new LED bulbs at the "orange" DIY store. They have a built-in photocell. They're 2700k, 800 lumen 60w equivalent and they're rated for totally enclosed fixtures like post lights and patio/security lights.

We have a patio light fixture with a dusk-to-dawn photocell and a Cree 60W equivalent bulb. The fixture flickers like mad at dusk and dawn. It also generates lots of RFI when this happens. We've tried reorienting the photocell and shielding it from the bulb with no luck. Some of the bulb's light reaches the photocell and causes it to oscillate for awhile each day at dusk and dawn. I'm hoping these new bulbs with integrated photocells will do the trick.

I looked at the red photocell lens closely with a flashlight to try to determine whether the sensor is cadmium-sulfide (slower response) or silicon but I couldn't tell. The photocell circuit appears to have a little bit of delay built-in, confirmed by aiming my flashlight at it while it's on, so hopefully it won't flicker/oscillate.

They're currently 8 bucks in the store, normally 9 bucks.

**Update** Apparently these have been around since at lease last November, although I haven't noticed them until today.

Last edited:

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, cheap photocells seem to be atrociously bad. I'd imagine somebody must make a better one you could install somewhere as an external control, but I haven't gone looking for them.

I have several outdoor fixtures with photocell controls built in that act exactly as you describe. I rewired them to bypass the control. Until I got around to doing that, I put electrical tape over the photocell to prevent them from picking up their own light, but I'm only turning mine on at the time of use, not leaving them on all night.

Post back if the Philips bulbs work well for you. They're usually pretty good about not releasing embarrassingly bad products, because they depend on maintaining a good reputation.

When I went on the Orange store's website to post an appropriate review on my lights and include my experience bypassing the control, I found they didn't even list the product anywhere, even though they continued to sell if for a year or more afterwards.

Last edited:

firsttothescene

Enlightened
I have 6 of these bulbs and I have been using them for the last couple of weeks and they work flawlessly.