Armytek Wizard V3 Headlamp with New Plastic Holder. Warm vs. White Light.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Armytek Wizard V3 Headlamp with New Plastic Holder. Warm vs. White Light.

First thing. For full disclosure I am doing this review as a pretext for running miles over slushy ground to shine two different tinted lights on a beaver dam. That's about it. So if you like beavers and headlamps maybe check it out. I already own a XHP-50 Wizard in "warm" which is really neutral white. I noticed the price dropped on their standard model with XP-L. Liking variety and simplicity purchased the headlamp in "white" which is really cool white. I was happy to see it came with the new plastic harness which replaces the older silicone. I purchased an additional plastic harness for my XHP-50 and have been pleased with it.

So with the illuminated beaver dam (yes you will be seeing a beaver dam lighted up with CW and NW) disclaimer and background out of the way time for the review.

The standard white/CW V3 on the left and Pro/warm V3 on right.

from the manufacture.

LED / Optics Cree XP-L or XM-L2 / TIR
Brightness stabilization type DIGITAL (CPU brightness control)
Light output, LED / OTF lumens* 1250 / 1000
Peak beam intensity, candelas 3560
Hotspot / spill 70° / 120°
Beam distance* 119 meters
Modes and runtimes
(measured with 18650 Li-Ion
3400mAh until the light output
drops to 10% of the initial
value)
Turbo 1000 lm / 1.5h
Main3 390 lm / 3.8h
Main2 180 lm / 9h
Main1 30 lm / 48h
Firefly2 2.3 lm / 18d
Firefly1 0.4 lm / 100d
Power source 1x18650 Li-Ion / 2x18350 Li-ion / 2xRCR123 Li-ion / 2xCR123A
Size and weight (without batteries) Length 101mm, body diameter 24.5mm, head diameter 29mm, weight 48

In OFF state:
Click: To turn on the last used mode.
Press and hold: To go through 2 Firefly modes (release to select). Keeping button pressed will start cycling through the Main modes.
In ON state:
Click: To turn off the flashlight.
Press and hold: To start cycling through the Main modes.
Double click: To turn on the Turbo mode. The second double click brings back the last used mode.
For comfortable operation you have a convenient momentary access to all the following modes:

Firefly. Press and hold the button in OFF-state to turn on the
desired Firefly mode and then release immediately. Keeping
the button pressed will start cycling through the Main
modes.

Main. Short click from OFF-state activates the Main mode (if
it was the last mode used previously).

Turbo. The mode is activated by double click in any mode. To
return to the last mode make double-click again.

Cycling through the Main modes. In ON-state press and hold
the button (in any mode): the 3 Main modes will start
switching cyclically. Release the button to select the desired
mode. In Turbo mode it starts cycling through the Main
modes.

Automemorizing. After switching off the last used Mode is memorized for quick 1-click access at next switching on.
Lock-out function. Unscrew the tailcap to 1/4 for the protection from accidental switching on.

Low Battery Indication. If the brightness is <25% from the nominal value, the LED flashes 2 times
ONCE (after 30sec from switching on). If you are not sure if it flashed or not switch the flashlight
off and on: in case the battery is low flashes will repeat. Light output decreases to Firefly mode at
critical level.
Active temperature control. The flashlight can quickly heat up in Turbo mode. When the
temperature become +60°C – the brightness decreases by small steps. After cooling-down
(provided that battery voltage is sufficient) the brightness increases to the Turbo mode again.
This stepping goes cyclically to maintain the user's safety and the flashlight's functionality. In
conditions of good air-cooling the flashlight delivers light without stepping down even in Turbo
mode. There are no preset timers for stepping, but real-time active temperature measurements.

For me the bottom line is the standard UI felt easier to use and just as field effective but that's a matter of personal opinion. There are other differences as well. The XHP-50 tail cap has a compartment with a strong magnet and lanyard. Before they changed the harness I ignored these features which the standard Wizard lacks but now as the light can be removed so easily maybe this is a consideration.

Old silicone harness on left new plastic on right. Both now come with plastic.

Both tail caps have the same overbuilt spring and are interchangeable.

Both have the same smooth lubed threads and double O-rings.

I have yet to find a 18650 which doesn't fit either however the upper turbo mode on the XHP-50 requires a high drain lithium ion battery of 7A or higher.

Both have the same bezel and optic which IMHO is the best general use headlamp optic going. Or at least for me.

Window with XHP-50 "warm" which is really neutral white.

Window with XP-L "white" which is really cool white.

Both have yellow power/UI buttons but the standard XP-L V3 doesn't flash. Some would say this is a good thing.

Both have past my field use water tests. I already reviewed the XHP-50 pro so here is the XP-L V3.

XP-L V3 white. No water intrusion.

Now to compare the tint in field use. Yes we will get to the beaver dam....eventually.... White on left Warm on right.

Now lets reverse them.

XP-L V3 white beam shots.

Turbo. There is only one turbo mode but that's enough for about everything I need.

Main mode 3.

Main mode 2.

Main mode 1.

The standard V3 Wizard has two firefly modes. This is firefly 2.

It's time for the show down at the beaver dam!

XHP-50 Warm highest Turbo.

XP-L White V3 turbo.

The output looks about the same on the camera but in person the XHP-50 has a brighter max turbo. Still the standard is really really bright and the remaining modes are comparable.

Conclusion.

The standard XP-L V3 Wizard seemed just as field effective of a tool as the XHP-50 Pro V3. The tint is personal preference though both are excellent examples of their respective classes.

Here is a video. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

davefr

Newly Enlightened
That hard plastic holder seems like it would be uncomfortable after a while compared to soft silicone rubber. What are your thoughts?

TIA

Woods Walker

That hard plastic holder seems like it would be uncomfortable after a while compared to soft silicone rubber. What are your thoughts?

TIA
I prefer the hard plastic and more so when running though comfort is relative to the user.

Lumencrazy

Enlightened

TIA

Actually, quite the opposite! It has a curved shape that fits the forehead more naturally. There is more bearing surface so there are no pressure spots. The silicone rubber mount leaves two imprints on your forehead where the headband rides over the top creating two pressure spots. The new plastic one does not. For my skull, a huge improvement!!

Last edited:

Woods Walker

Except the issue is that it breaks?
So far it hasn't. People did have issues with the silicone breaking during removal of the light. If this breaks or drops the light will report that in this thread for sure.

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
Oh! Sorry. I thought I saw a picture of a broken one...

Edit: looked again. It wasn't broken. So sorry for the misinformation!!

Last edited:

Woods Walker

Oh! Sorry. I thought I saw a picture of a broken one...

Edit: looked again. It wasn't broken. So sorry for the misinformation!!

No problem brother. Used it to jog 5 miles tonight. Didn't break! :) But if anything happens in the future will post about it.