Looking for recommendations for a 1xAA EDC flashlight

sambeaux2249

Newly Enlightened
My brother is looking for a new EDC flashlight. He's hoping to find something that can put out roughly 35-70 lumens for 8+ hours... preferably 12+ hours. The closest I've found so far is a Jetbeam SSA10 that says it can put out 100 lumens for 11 hours and a Jetbeam E10R that says it can put out 46 lumens for 9 hours...

Let me know what suggestions you guys have. He would also prefer a simple interface, perhaps a single or dual brightness flashlight, but that's less of a concern than output range and runtime. Thanks!!

archimedes

Flashaholic
Budget ?

Does the output need to be regulated (flat) through that entire duration ?

Might look at Peak, but probably a custom single output (non-QTC) version ....

Last edited:

sambeaux2249

Newly Enlightened
Budget ?

Does the output need to be regulated (flat) through that entire duration ?

Might look at Peak, but probably a custom single output (non-QTC) version ....

I would prefer regulated, I'm not sure he really cares as long as it's usable output.

I'll go take a look at Peak, thanks!

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
My brother is looking for a new EDC flashlight. He's hoping to find something that can put out roughly 35-70 lumens for 8+ hours... preferably 12+ hours. The closest I've found so far is a Jetbeam SSA10 that says it can put out 100 lumens for 11 hours and a Jetbeam E10R that says it can put out 46 lumens for 9 hours...

Let me know what suggestions you guys have. He would also prefer a simple interface, perhaps a single or dual brightness flashlight, but that's less of a concern than output range and runtime. Thanks!!
For the most part you have to take manufacturer's specs with a grain of salt. They could be accurate. They may not be. The only way to know what the output and run time is......is to perform an actual test. Here are a couple of my favorites depending on whether he wants clicky or twisty. These are also some of the most efficient I have tested. Reference is with a freshly charged 2000mAh Eneloop battery. Lower outputs get longer run times.

In order of efficiency (lumens x run time)

Fenix LD12,2017: 39 lumens, 9.5 hours
Fenix LD11: 57 lumens, 6.43 hours
Jetbeam Jet-I MK: 31 lumens, 11.78 hours
Eagletac D25A, Xp-G2: 52 lumens, 6.7 hours
Fenix LD12,2017: 85 lumens, 3.78 hours
Fenix E12: 64 lumens, 4.9 hours
Nitecore MT10A: 54 lumens, 5.25 hours

typical cheap lights with exaggerated specs
J5 tactical: 61 lumens, 1.5 hours

My favorite value for the money light would be the Jetbeam Jet I-Mk when on sale for under $20. That is if he doesn't mind a twisty. It does have mode memory which is uncommon for twisty lights. Next up but double the money would be the Fenix LD12, 2017 NW if he prefers a forward clicky. It has mode memory so if wanting just a one or two level light, just leave it in the mode level you want.

There are lots of other good reputable brands like the Thrunite, Zebralight, etc. I just haven't purchased and tested. These are just the ones that have attracted my attention and thus I have tested.:)

Last edited:

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually many makers specs are quite accurate. The issue comes from punters not bothering to check the 'Standards' the ratings are done too.

For example, ANSI FL1 is a common standard. Runtime for this standard is when output reaches 10% of the initial output (at 30 sec).

What these standards don't tell you is the profile of the discharge curve and any clever ramping up or down that might be done.

I doubt you'll gain much from demanding a regulated output at this level. And tbh I'm not sure it's possible to sustain the output you are after from such a power source. A compact 18650 light with an output of the correct brightness for your needs is likely a better solution.

Nord

Newly Enlightened
Chicken Drumstick, good to see you're on this forum as well as the other. You probably noticed I posted my XP-L HI question here as well :grin2:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
35 lumens for 8 hours sounds possible, it totals 280 lumen hours
I do not know if these other values are realistic:
35-70 lumens for 8+ hours... preferably 12+ hours.

35 lumens for 12 hours would be 420 lumen hours
70 lumens for 8 hours would be 560 lumen hours

Jetbeam SSA10 that says it can put out 100 lumens for 11 hours = 1100 lumen hours
and a
Jetbeam E10R that says it can put out 46 lumens for 9 hours… = 414 lumen hours

I do not know the mfg specs for these tested lights:
For the most part you have to take manufacturer's specs with a grain of salt...
In order of efficiency (lumens x run time)

Fenix LD12,2017: 39 lumens, 9.5 hours =371 lumen hours
Fenix LD11: 57 lumens, 6.43 hours =367 lumen hours
Jetbeam Jet-I MK: 31 lumens, 11.78 hours =365 lumen hours

note none of the tested lights achieved 400 lumen hours

otoh, 35 lumens for 8 hours sounds possible, it totals 280 lumen hours

Last edited:

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
35 lumens for 8 hours sounds possible, it totals 280 lumen hours
I do not know if these other values are realistic:

I do not know the mfg specs for these tested lights:

note none of the tested lights achieved 400 lumen hours

otoh, 35 lumens for 8 hours sounds possible, it totals 280 lumen hours
You are correct. I've tested a lot of flashlights over the years since obtaining a data logging light meter. I have found that the product of lumens x time is pretty close among the well known manufacturers which offer a quality product. That tells me its getting hard to squeeze much more efficiency out of a driver and they are all trying the best they can. Now in order for that comparison to be fair, I have to look at output levels that are similar among the different lights along with LEDs that are the same. Trying to squeeze 150 lumens or higher out of an AA light with an Eneloop is no problem at all. But the efficiency will drop compared to 30 to 50 lumens.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trying to squeeze 150 lumens or higher out of an AA light with an Eneloop is no problem at all. But the efficiency will drop compared to 30 to 50 lumens.

good info!
yeah, 150 lumens for about 1 hour, and it wont be at 150 lumens at the end of that time either
fwiw, I have an AA rated for 140 lumens, it actually reads 105 on my meter, dropping to 90 in less than 1 minute

runtime is only part of the story
regulated runtime is a much harder nut to crack, especially on high mode
medium is more likely to be regulated, for about 75% of the runtime

the OP seems to have an 8 hour runtime priority, with a very broad lumen tolerance, 1x to 2x.. the easiest way to get more runtime, is to simply carry a spare battery or two.. imo eneloops are the way to go

it would help if we knew more about what application the light is for… going into a cave for the day? Carry not only extra batteries, carry extra lights.. going camping and staying up all night? Carry spare batteries, in a spare flashlight :)

an 8-12 hour runtime requirement at 30 lumens is no problem, particularly if more than one battery is available :)

we havent even considered CRI, CCT, PWM, hands free use… 8 hours is a hella long time to be holding a light in my hand.. and for my needs, Cool White just wont cut it (even though it has the most brightness, it also has the lowest CRI)

sambeaux2249

Newly Enlightened
good info!
runtime is only part of the story
regulated runtime is a much harder nut to crack, especially on high mode
medium is more likely to be regulated, for about 75% of the runtime

the OP seems to have an 8 hour runtime priority, with a very broad lumen tolerance, 1x to 2x.. the easiest way to get more runtime, is to simply carry a spare battery or two.. imo eneloops are the way to go

it would help if we knew more about what application the light is for… going into a cave for the day? Carry not only extra batteries, carry extra lights.. going camping and staying up all night? Carry spare batteries, in a spare flashlight :)

an 8-12 hour runtime requirement at 30 lumens is no problem, particularly if more than one battery is available :)

we havent even considered CRI, CCT, PWM, hands free use… 8 hours is a hella long time to be holding a light in my hand.. and for my needs, Cool White just wont cut it (even though it has the most brightness, it also has the lowest CRI)

Lots of good info, lots of good questions. He currently has a flashlight that CLAIMS to produce about 40 lumens for 8 hours on 1 AA battery. This flashlight is a few years old and I'm certain it's unregulated. He wants something close to what he believes his current flashlight can do. If I can get 35ish lumens ( regulated ) for 8ish hours, then he has a much better flashlight in spite of his expectations. He does carry extra batteries, but it would be nice if a single AA could run for 8ish hours for him. His current flashlight is fairly green and had poor CRI, so almost anything would be an improvement. I don't believe PWM is an issue as long as the output is regulated.. I'm not sure what CCT is. As for not holding the light in your hands... he just bought a Nite Ize headband... He seems to have a preference for a single mode flashlight somewhere between 35 and 70 lumens. His stated reason for that preference is that when he was looking at flashlights a few years ago, single mode flashlights seemed to be more efficient. As far as I can tell, that's not really the case any more.

Thanks!

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumen hours, interesting. Never looked at it like that before.
For the ZL SC52 L2 CW from highest to lowest output:

CreeCrazy

Newly Enlightened
I'd say Zebralight SC5. 48 lumens for 8.5 hours. It's the only AA powered light that can hit a 535 lumens of a regular AA battery.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do take a look at the Zebralight, as suggested, as well as the Armytek Prime.

The Olight S1A is another small light that could be a good EDC.

The Archer looks REALLY interesting, Thanks!!

I have an Archer and am quite happy with it, but I don't really think of it as an EDC, because it is a noticeable amount larger than most 1 x AA. It certainly is pocketable, it just takes up more space.

I find the size pretty much perfect for a light to use around the house, but I think the T10 is the better option for a Thrunite EDC, even though it is a simpler light.

T45

Enlightened
I like my new Klarus Mi7. It can use a lithium-Ion, alkaline, NiMH. Several colors to chose from, I got the Olive Drab.
17758444_10208993289854807_3906290907807653769_o.jpg

dmattaponi

Enlightened
I edc the Archer. Keep in mind that the reason it is a little longer than some of the others mentioned is that the tailcap switch is a forward clicky with momentary on function, while most of the others mentioned are not. Many consider momentary on ability as a requirement for a light that might me used in a self defense situation.

Last edited: