Subaru Forester 2011 light upgrades?

Ekko

Newly Enlightened
I have a relatively new, to me, 2011 Subaru Forester X Premium, Japan-built for the US market, with stock halogen reflector headlamp assemblies and generic H11 and 9005 bulbs in low and high beams, respectively. It also has the fog lamp option, fitted with 9006 bulbs. The lamp assemblies are in good condition with no visible signs of polymer degradation (yet), but I find the low beams to be a bit inadequate, the highs acceptable, and the fogs just weirdly ineffective.

To the questions: I've seen conflicting information on this model, as to whether it has a reflector good enough to make the seemingly common H11-H9 swap without producing excessive glare. A years-old thread here mentioned that the 2010 model was unsafe with H9's, but the 2011 received a facelift, new grille, and new engine, and I'm unsure whether, among everything else, they also included headlamp updates. With the stock lamps on the 2011, can I safely make that upgrade? If not, is there a specific recommendation for a good H11 bulb nowadays?

I see no reason why the 9005 high beam bulbs couldn't be changed to a 9011 if I so desired, since glare isn't an issue with highs, and have found no conflicting information here or elsewhere. Nonetheless, I'd still like to know if my research and thinking is correct on that. I have no immediate plans to change them, because they work well enough, but I'd like to know if that's a reasonable upgrade anyway.

As far as the fog lights...is it me? Are mine particularly badly aimed, or are these sort of sad even for fog lights? They seem glare-y, very low and odd in light pattern, and not very effective in adding useful light. From my admittedly little testing, in fog, I can confirm that they do not help perceptibly (except possibly in visibility to oncoming traffic?) so their ostensible purpose is defeated right out of the factory. Is there any remedy for this, any aftermarket unit that could be swapped in without significant bumper modification, or is that just the way it is?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
To the questions: I've seen conflicting information on this model, as to whether it has a reflector good enough to make the seemingly common H11-H9 swap without producing excessive glare. A years-old thread here mentioned that the 2010 model was unsafe with H9's, but the 2011 received a facelift, new grille, and new engine, and I'm unsure whether, among everything else, they also included headlamp updates. With the stock lamps on the 2011, can I safely make that upgrade? If not, is there a specific recommendation for a good H11 bulb nowadays?
Still no on the H9. The best H11 is this.

I see no reason why the 9005 high beam bulbs couldn't be changed to a 9011 if I so desired, since glare isn't an issue with highs, and have found no conflicting information here or elsewhere.
Yes, the HIR1 swap is perfectly fine.

As far as the fog lights...is it me? Are mine particularly badly aimed, or are these sort of sad even for fog lights? They seem glare-y, very low and odd in light pattern, and not very effective in adding useful light.
This is true of many factory fog lamps-- just ignore them and leave them off. You CAN try to aim them, but fog lamps just aren't as relevant on todays cars as they were in the sealed-beam era.

Ekko

Newly Enlightened
Still no on the H9. The best H11 is this.

Ah well, I can't say I'm surprised. Much appreciated, and thanks for confirming my assumptions about the highs as well. Are the Forester reflectors poorly engineered, out of curiosity?

This is true of many factory fog lamps-- just ignore them and leave them off. You CAN try to aim them, but fog lamps just aren't as relevant on todays cars as they were in the sealed-beam era.

Is there any use, do you think, I could make of the mounting points for them? I have no issue with changing out the lamp assembly or the wiring behind it, if that could make them more usable, be it better fogs, driving lights... As I do drive not uncommonly on very rural highways with lots of corners and plenty of deer about in the warmer seasons, extra light at night is very handy, even if I do have to turn it off around other vehicles. I'm just not especially interested in adding additional lights beyond the factory set, though I'd consider it if that's really the better option.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah well, I can't say I'm surprised. Much appreciated, and thanks for confirming my assumptions about the highs as well. Are the Forester reflectors poorly engineered, out of curiosity?
They're designed well enough for their chosen light source. It's just that the H9 is just well beyond the H11's output.

I have no issue with changing out the lamp assembly or the wiring behind it, if that could make them more usable, be it better fogs, driving lights...
The fog lamp position is too low for auxiliary high beams, and fog lamps are only good at crawl speeds.

As I do drive not uncommonly on very rural highways with lots of corners and plenty of deer about in the warmer seasons, extra light at night is very handy
However, fog lamps don't provide the "extra light" for that purpose. Auxiliary high beams would be better-- and your vehicle should have some decent options to mount auxiliary high beams.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
However, fog lamps don't provide the "extra light" for that purpose. Auxiliary high beams would be better-- and your vehicle should have some decent options to mount auxiliary high beams.
2011 should be an SH shape like mine (although mine has the Aussie spec LHT/RHD H7 headlamps and no fogs)

TJM and ECB both make bars to mount spotlights, this is the TJM version with Hella Rallye 4000 compact lamps

two lights

four lights
IMG_5036worked_zps2scuhzc8.jpg

Last edited: