• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Tritium keychain lanterns! Handmade in my little attic shop.

Dark Attic Works

Newly Enlightened
*JUNE 2017 UPDATE: I will now be ignoring murky Canadian regulations and INCLUDING A TRITIUM VIAL.

Hello, CPF friends! My name is Joe. I am a longtime lurker but a pretty new member here. A while ago I was inspired by some of the cool things I saw online (much of it here on CPF) so I scrounged some cheap machinery and set up a tiny hobby metalworking shop in my attic to try my hand at making a few things. I've got a lot of wild ideas bouncing around my brain but recently I've been really enjoying making little tritium keychain lanterns in some different materials. I've been selling these here and there online and I would like to make these available to you fine people as well. I hope I can bring something of my own to the table and, with your feedback, improve my own designs as I go forward.

Currently, I am making three different lantern designs in brass, stainless steel, copper and titanium. These are designed to hold the common 3mm x 22.5mm tritium vial. The lanterns are manually machined by me in my little attic workshop using my small lathe and mill. All three designs use a small set screw and plastic bushing to hold the vial in place safely and securely while allowing for minor variations in vial size, easy replacement or color swapping.

bluetritarrow.png

Here are the features common to all three designs:

Materials:
303 Stainless Steel, C360 Brass, C145 Tellurium Copper, or Grade 2 Commercially Pure Titanium
Stainless steel set screw
12.5mm split ring (high quality American made)
Plastic bushing material (extra included)

Dimensions:
Diameter - .250" (.235" for titanium)
Length - 1.4"

TERMS:
I will be making these lanterns to order. I also have some orders coming in from other sites and my current typical lead time is 1 to 2 weeks.

Pricing shown is for the machined lantern, one tritium vial, split ring, set screw, and bushing material. Tracked/insured shipping is included in North America!

Payment by Paypal please. All prices are in USD and include shipping (North America) and fees. For my fellow Canadians, please contact me for CAD pricing if preferred. All other destinations, please contact me for pricing. If you are interested in purchasing an item or have any questions, don't hesitate to send me a PM or email me at [email protected]

THE LANTERNS

THE DARLINGTON
Minimal 5 slot design for solid, even light distribution. The Darlington design features five 1/16" slots spaced precisely 72 degrees apart and a 1/8" cross hole for a key ring. The slots are deep for strength and to limit the edge of the tritium vial being visible so you just see a uniform bar of glow.

darlmain.png

Pricing (includes tracked and insured shipping):
Brass - $80
Stainless - $84
Copper - $92
Titanium - $99

THE BELLEFONTE
Do you like to play with your tritium lantern in the dark? The Bellefonte's spirals will keep you mesmerized. The Bellefonte design features 5 parallel spirals of holes. Each spiral is angled at 12 degrees and is made up of eight 2mm holes. Standard 1/8" cross hole for split key ring.

bellemain.png

Brass - $80
Stainless - $84
Copper - $92
Titanium - $99

THE FESSENHEIM
Maximum holey-ness! The Fessenheim design features 55 drilled 2mm holes in 10 rows and a 1/8" cross hole for a key ring. This design is my most time-consuming to produce but yields quite a striking result from all the glowing holes.

fessmain.png

Brass - $80
Stainless - $84
Copper - $92
Titanium - $99

ADDITIONAL PICS
tibellefessbright.png

Bellefonte and Fessenheim in titanium

3darlings.png

Darlingtons in copper, brass, and stainless

ssbellebright.png

Bellefonte in stainless

cudarlbright.png

Darlington in copper

ssfessbright.png

Fessenheim in stainless

tidarlbright.png

"Naked" titanium Darlington

PICS FOR SCALE/SIZE REFERENCE

bellesizeref.png

belleinhand.png

Thanks for your curiosity! Be on the lookout for more unique items from my shop!

Last edited:

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nicely done! Simple with a bit of a sospisticated look. Looks as good as any I've ever seen! Great job 👍🏼

Dark Attic Works

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, I appreciate the encouragement! I definitely tend towards more minimalist designs. Just how I roll... :D

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are very nice...

Would you consider including some pictures that give a sense of size? One in a hand, next to some keys, something like that?

Dark Attic Works

Newly Enlightened
Great suggestion - I just added a couple pics at the end of the original post. Hopefully that helps! I'm not sure what the precise dimensional differences are between a U.S. quarter dollar and a Canuckistanian quarter kopek but I'm assuming they're close enough to suffice for a size reference. :D

These are very nice...

Would you consider including some pictures that give a sense of size? One in a hand, next to some keys, something like that?

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great suggestion - I just added a couple pics at the end of the original post. Hopefully that helps! I'm not sure what the precise dimensional differences are between a U.S. quarter dollar and a Canuckistanian quarter kopek but I'm assuming they're close enough to suffice for a size reference. :D
Thanks! Those look great and really do give a good perspective of the size.
Next time I'm in the mood to splurge, I might stop mulling these over. They're a good value, too, considering what some others ask.

I'll be interested to see some feedback from early adopters.

Dark Attic Works

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! Those look great and really do give a good perspective of the size.
Next time I'm in the mood to splurge, I might stop mulling these over. They're a good value, too, considering what some others ask.

I'll be interested to see some feedback from early adopters.

I do have a little feedback on Etsy and bladeforums.com under the same username. More soon, hopefully!

Dark Attic Works

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, looky! I appreciate the encouragement. I should add that I'm on Instagram now as well with lots of pics of the lanterns I've been making: Instagram.com/darkatticworks

Here's a Bellefonte Mini pendant for example:
belleminibright.png

belleminiglow.png

And a new design in a 'distressed' copper finish:
montecuempty.png

montecugreen.png

Last edited:

Dark Attic Works

Newly Enlightened
I like the new design. DO you have a photo of the Ti version thats been made

Thank you very much! Here's one pic of the new "Monticello" model in blue anodized titanium. I have another one on my build list this week so I'll take some more photos of it when complete.

blueanotri.png

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you very much! Here's one pic of the new "Monticello" model in blue anodized titanium. I have another one on my build list this week so I'll take some more photos if it.
blueanotri.png

These are sweet. I think you might get more traction if they came w trits. At least I would be more apt to buy one if it was one stop shopping. Maybe there are some legalities regarding this that I'm not aware of.

Dark Attic Works

Newly Enlightened
These are sweet. I think you might get more traction if they came w trits. At least I would be more apt to buy one if it was one stop shopping. Maybe there are some legalities regarding this that I'm not aware of.

You are absolutely right. I have been including tritium vials with ones ordered on Instagram so I'll do that here as well. I try to keep vials on hand anyway but the colour selection varies...