Recommendations? A compact flood light for working in tight spaces

Recoil Rob

Newly Enlightened
My work finds me daily with my head and hands inside an access panel through a wall, removing a pump or electrical component. I usually use a small headlamp but sometimes the space is too tight for that and I would be better served with a small light I can stand up inside the space to illuminate the entire area.

It can't be so bright as to blind me if I look at it and not to expensive if it gets left behind. Some years ago I found some small, hockey puck shaped lights for use inside cabinets and safes but that were not bright enough. Any recommendations on something like that or a light that is stable enough to stay put on it's own?

thanks,

Rob

Last edited:

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
If there is a Harbor Freight near you, I suggest looking at their "27 LED portable worklight" - cheap and fairly bright. I wouldn't expect a lot in terms of durability or performance, but should produce a fair amount of light.

DMS1970

Enlightened
Olight s1. Super floody, clips on a hat brim, magnetic base, can't be beat.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Several options come to mind. The Nitecore LA10 and LA30 would seem to be a good fit, especially since they both have a magnet for attaching to any metal nearby. I recently used my LA10 inside my PC case when I was replacing a drive. The magnet allowed me to hang it from the interior top of the case, and I used the low mode so as not to dazzle my eyes.

One of the other major light manufacturers makes several lanterns in various sizes that might also work. I am sure someone else with know who I am talking about and elaborate.

The Photon Micro button cell light comes with a clip-on bracket that would work on a cap brim or the edge of a metal cabinet and has adjustable brightness as well.

And as stated, there are all sorts of lights available at the dollar stores and most hardware stores that would be usable and very cheap to purchase, so that if you lost one or dropped it somewhere where you couldn't recover it, it would be no great loss.

deye223

Newly Enlightened
Olight s1. Super floody, clips on a hat brim, magnetic base, can't be beat.

yes it can , the on the road M3 5c is way better and yes I have both and it will fit a decent 16340 cell as well and about half the price .

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
One thing that could be what you want is a light I bought off EBAY awhile back. It has a COB LED array and is powered by 3AAA batteries and has an optic LED on the end for 2 modes with a magnet on the end. You can get the light for about $2.50. It comes in 3 colors: red, black, and blue. I have the red and blue colored ones

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight H1 Nova is a tiny angle light that has a floody TIR reflector, magnetic base and headstrap for hands free use.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I was just reading about a tailstanding LuxPro called the LP90a, which is a right angle floody light that runs off of 1aa, has hi/lo/strobe, costs $10 has a rear mounted magnet and a clip that allows shirt pocket/collar wear.

Ironically I was trying to find a light that is suited for being in really tight spaces where an area light was best. My little Pentagon Molle is too focused for such useage.

Crazy as it sounds you might also consider a tiny lantern.

DMS1970

Enlightened
yes it can , the on the road M3 5c is way better and yes I have both and it will fit a decent 16340 cell as well and about half the price .

Not to hijack, but I have an m3 on the way. The full pack with battery and charger were pretty good deal for thr $21 sale I grabbed. Back in the day, my S1s were about $26 on sale. I'm interested to see the difference. Clip looks better on the m3

Sambob

Newly Enlightened
I've had my M3 for about 6mo love It and the clip Is great for mounting to a ball cap, sorry for fan boying please continue.

DMS1970

Enlightened
I've had my M3 for about 6mo love It and the clip Is great for mounting to a ball cap, sorry for fan boying please continue.

Well, I just received my first On The Road and I hate it:

1) compares to S10, not floody like S1 tir

2) Press and hold for OFF - horrible UI

3) looks and feels cheap next to the Olight version

No wonder they are giving them away