Review MecArmy PT26: 3850 lumens, 9 x XP-G2 S4, USB-recharge/powerbank; (beam)shots

kj75

Enlightened
In the past seasons, manufacturer MecArmy added several members to the PT-series. Characteristic to these lights are the built-in USB-charging function, the head with multiple LEDS and the compact size relative to the performance. By introducing the PT26 MecArmy adds a very powerful but compact light to the series, that has the same features as the big PT60 / PT80 brothers. So, a pocket-sized light that has quick charging function, also powerbank-function, and that runs both on 26650 as on 18650-batteries looks very interesting! In this review I'll show you the details of the PT26 and give you my personal feelings; of course I'll show you how the light performs, also side-by-side to some other compact big-output lights.

a new member to the MecArmy PT-family

the PT26

powered by nine XP-G2 S4 LEDS

pocket-sized but impressive output

a high-quality torch

the "tiny-version" of the earlier released PT60 / PT80

can both run on 18650 and 26650-cells

At first the features, given by MecArmy:

· Uses 9 CREE XP-G2 S4 LEDs, Max output up to 3850 lumens
· Micro USB Intelligent charging inputs; compatible with any USB port
· 2 available Micro USB charging ports, allows quick charge in 2.5 hours
· DC 5V/ 1A USB output, can be used as a power bank
· Charging and fully charged indicators
· 26650 li-ion battery, max running time up to 156 hours
· Compatible with 18650 battery
· Max beam distance 292 meters
· Pure copper and gold plating circuit boards
· Two independent constant current drivers
· Built-in temperature testing system, keeps the temperature≤50 degrees
· Aggressive head bezel for self defense
· Highly efficient optical lens
· Highly efficient heat dissipation design
· Rugged pineapple texture for better grip; anti-roll
· Tail stand capability
· Standard 1/4 inch Tripod mount
· Constructed from aero grade aluminum alloy, with HAIII hard-anodization
· IPX-8 water resistance

and the specifications:

LED9x CREE XP-G2 S4 LEDs
ReflectorOptical lens
Max Output3850 lumens
Max Run Time156h
Max Beam Distance292m
Max Beam Intensity21483cd
Battery1x 26650 Li-ion battery (included) or 1x 18650 Li-ion Battery
Length 125.4mm/ 4.94in
Head diameter53mm/ 2.087in
Body diameter34mm/ 1.338in
Weight251g/ 8.85oz (excluding battery)
FeatureRechargeable, Power bank, Ultra Bright
AccessoryUser manual, 1x 26650 battery, USB cable, 18650 sleeve, lanyard, O-rings, holster

and the output specs:

Unboxing:

The PT26 is packed in the same nice and luxury box as the big PT60 and PT80. To me, this is one of the nicest boxes I've seen before. The black box with golden letters has the looks! On the wrapper there's some information about the light and the specifications, that's printed in red-black, the favorite color of MecArmy. The manufacturer has taken care on the contents too: a complete package here, including a charging cable and an adapter to load a 18650 battery. So, a good job here of MecArmy, I really like this nice and complete box! Have a look at some pictures below that show the box and the contents!

same box as the P60 / P80-brothers

luxury looks and feels, nice colors

most specifications and features mentioned on the wrapper

nice combination of black and golden letters

the contents: ready to go, all we need is in here!

Impressions:

I earlier had my hands-on to the PT16 and also the big PT60; I can say this PT26 is a very nice mix of both lights. To me, the PT26 is the nicest member of the family until now. The light (that again comes in typical military-grey color) has well-balanced proportions. It has little heavy feels, but is excellent machined and finished. The lights' body has again the well-known "pineapple-texture" and the anodizing job at the PT26 is done very well. Also the engraving job excellent done here. As expected, the light has very stable tailstand. The PT26 has a very good anti-rolling design too, to me a good point if manufacturers mind about this. Striking details on the lights' head are the cooling-fins and the very deep notches. They are needed to abduct the heat, because the nine LEDS of the PT26 have very big output. A remark here: the edges of the cooling-fins and the notches are little sharp, but not that bad that it will hurt your fingers, so don't worry. In the head we see also a tripod connector, a nice option for hands-free working. The notches in the bezel will help you also that you don't forget to turn off the PT26 when you place it on a desk. Looking into the lights' head we see the same kind of (plastic) lens that MecArmy uses on the other PT's. The nine XP-G2 S4-LEDS are well-centered. No dust are defects in the reflectors found here, this high-tech lens and reflector is well-made. The threads run smooth, but I had to grease them; strongly recommended to do this yourself. The head must be completely unscrewed for charging and discharging options, some striking details here are the O-ring in red, the two micro-USB ports and the USB-out. No issues inside the head, it look again ok. The tubes' upper (that is fixed and closed) has four golden contact-pins and a red LED that shows the battery-status. The tailcap (nice styling!) has three holes to add-on the lanyard. A strong, golden-plated spring will keep the battery in place. No icon in the tube found how to insert the battery, but most users will understand how to insert a cell. At the end of this paragraph I can summarize that the PT26 is excellent built and finished; MecArmy again did a great job here! Please scroll down to watch a couple of photos that show the light and the details!

the MecArmy PT26

nice look, balanced proportions

stable standing, both on tail…

and head

almost palm-sized

powered by nine XP-G2 S4 LEDS

MecArmy have their own looks

excellent anti-rolling design

a tripod connector built-in the head

comes in military grey color

the high-tech lens and reflector

puts out up to 3850 lumens!

deep notches and fins are needed

three holes to add-on the lanyard

several battery options, good feature!

a separate manual coming with the sleeve

four golden contact points and a battery-indication LED on top of the tube

well-machined threads and two micro-USB ports for quick charging

a look into the head

the USB-out for use as a powerbank

a close-up to the pineapple-texture

a look into the tube of the PT26

a strong, golden-plated spring in the cap

the overall quality of the PT26 is excellent

the laser-engraving is done well

the head must be removed for charging / discharging

the power bank with 26650 can charge-up your phone without problems

comes with quality holster

the PT26 fits well

the lanyard added

double micro-USB port for quick charging, red indicator-LED

flashes during the charging-progress, steady when fully charged

powerbank function; worked better with shut of cell phone here

after five minutes continuous turbo: not overheated!

the PT26 is a nice light

compact and powerful

and excellent constructed

not that difficult how to use a 18650 with the supplied adaptor

please follow the instructions in the manual to get the best out of the 18650-cell

hands-free working!

User interface:

The PT26 is a light that's powered by a 26650, therefore it has a rather thick body. But it feels comfortable in a man's hand, and there's also good grip thanks to the pineapple-texture. The big head and the special design of the cap protect against slipping out of your hand. Because of its small size the PT26 can easily be controlled by one hand. The switch is not that big and the same like the other PT's use. Personally, I would like to have a larger and easier to locate button here with a stiff structure. It is a "soft-touch" button: No effort is needed to turn on the PT26, it almost fires up directly when you touch the button. Also the risk of accidentally turning on is here.

To charge the light (or using a power-bank) the lights' head must be completely removed. The PT26 has the same "quick-charging-option" like the big PT60, but has two micro-USB ports instead of three. Nice find of MecArmy, the charging job will be finished earlier. During the charging-progress, the red LED blinks until the job is done, and will be steady on if the charging job is finished. I miss here the nice indicator and power-check-button with red / green that the PT60 has…. For what I tried out about the powerbank-function (charging a Samsung S6); it worked without issues, phone completely charged after a couple of hours; and still enough power left to fire up the PT26 at all modes.

A single press on the power button turn the PT26 on and off. This light has "silent" operation, no clicks can be heard. The light always starts in low-mode at this way, it has no memory. Press and hold when on the cycle though the different modes, four in total, in order of low to turbo. A quick double press will turn the light on at highest / turbo, so an instant-mode here. Out of this mode, you can cycle through the other normal modes. Quick press three times to enter direct-strobe, the light changes from two frequencies in this mode. To enter SOS-mode, press and hold the button if you are in strobe-mode. A short press will turn off the light, you can't go back to strobe here. Both instant-modes are only available from off; to me, it would be better to have both also available when the light is on. Nice feature is that the turbo-mode (that is very impressive on this light) turns on gradually. This will help your eyes to adapt to this big output. As expected, this big output needs a High Discharge Current-cell; running on a "normal" battery will decrease the turbo-output. Good point to me is that the PT26 is silent at all modes: No peeping or buzzing sound.

Another good feature of the light is the built-in thermal protection: The PT26 will decrease its output (not by full steps) if the body temperature reaches 50 degrees. I tried out turbo for longer than five minutes, but reached a temperature of about 34 degrees. I was impressed that a light of this dimensions can handle turbo for that time continuously without issues. Good point here!

Summarizing I can say that the interface works fine, you don't have to get used by it. I hope that in future the instant modes will be available from on too. I'd like to see a voltage indicator too on this light.

Modes:

The PT26 has four normal modes, in order of LOW > MED > HIGH > TURBO. The torch doesn't have a real low, (it starts at 28 lumens), but the spacing of the LOW > MED > HIGH is very good. After that there a big increase when you turn into TURBO. I earlier had my hands-on to lights that showed only little difference between high and turbo; with the PT26 there's no doubt about this! Also because the light normally always start at LOW, we can say we a direct LOW and direct TURBO mode on the PT26. The special modes are: STROBE and SOS. No low-voltage warning or actual voltage indication on the PT26. To LOCK-OUT the torch you must loosen the tailcap a little.

Size comparison:

For my comparison shots I picked some lights that are in the range between 3200 and 4000 lumens output, and that have equal length to the PT26. But those three use different LEDS. I'll use these three later for my beamshots too.

18650, 26650, MecArmy PT26, Olight R50 Pro Seeker, Nitecore TM06

MecArmy PT26, Olight R50 Pro Seeker, Nitecore TM06

MecArmy PT26, Olight R50 Pro Seeker, Nitecore TM06

the heads: 9 x XP-G2 S4, XHP70 and 4 x XM-L2 U2

the tails: MecArmy PT26, Olight R50 Pro Seeker, Nitecore TM06

Tint:

The PT26 has a good cool-white tint. Compared to the Nitecore TM06 (that has a greenish tone) and the little yellowish XHP70 of the R50 Pro Seeker it looks rather cool. But, it's ok to me, although I would like to see that MecArmy would add a neutral white version in future.

Beamprofile:

The nine XP-G2 S4 LEDS create, like expected a huge hotspot. This hotspot is an intense one! There's a medium corona that gradually merges into the spill. Due to the fact that every LED has its own shallow reflector, the PT26 doesn't reach a very big distance; but (at higher modes) it lights up almost everything up to about 150 meters away. The PT26 has a nice, clean beam, I couldn't find any defects on it. A big plus is also that I couldn't see PWM; again a good point here to the PT26!

Beamshots:

Let's see now how the PT26 performs! Firstly, the beam showed on a white wall. Distance to the white wall about 1 meter.
Camera-settings: ISO100, F/2.7, WB daylight, 1/125 sec

GIF-picture

And now, outdoors:

Let's take the PT26 with us outside now! Starting the session with the light placed on a road; first tree here at about 25 meters, next tree-line about 75 meters away. Nice to see here the impressive output at turbo-mode, but also the big jump between high and turbo.

Camera-settings: ISO100, F/2.7, WB daylight, 4.0 sec, 35mm

GIF:

Next thing I want to show is the difference between the output powered by 26650 and a single 18650. I used the MecArmy 18650-cell with built-in USB-port here; this cell is designed for High Drain devices. Only GIF's here; the difference in output is barely noticeable at most modes, only at turbo you can see a clear difference. To me (I didn't measure) the output at turbo (powered by a 18650) seemed to be more than 1350 lumens… Maybe because I used a High Drain 18650-cell.

a comparison of the four output modes of the PT26 with 18650 or 26650-cell

Let's see now how the PT26 performs against the other lights I showed you in this review. Firstly a shoot-out against the Olight R50 Pro Seeker. The R50 Pro Seeker has a wider beam angle, the PT26 has a much more intense spot; the throw is almost equal.

the PT26 against the R50 Pro Seeker, both on turbo-mode

The Nitecore TM06 has some better throw thanks to its deeper reflectors and also a very wide beam angle. But the big and intense spot of the PT26 is hard to beat.

the PT26 against the TM06, both on turbo-mode

The second location is a tree at about 175 meters away. Again you can see here the wide beam-angle of the Olight and the Nitecore; all lights can reach the tree easily; the Nitecore has the advantage here thanks to the reflectors and the four 18650's.

the MecArmy PT26 at highest level

the Olight R50 Pro Seeker at highest level

the Nitecore TM06 at highest level

Conclusion:

I can say that I'm really impressed by the "little-version" of the PT60! I looks like this light will get one of MecArmys' best-sellers. The light is excellent built and finished, is easy to handle and has impressive output. The interface works well, but to me, direct modes should be availabe both form on and off. I hope MecArmy Strong point is here that the turbo stands for long time, without getting an overheated flashlight. Also the powerbank-option is a nice feature, charging a big smartphone can be done smoothly without depleting the 26650-cell. Also the lack of PWM is a very good point to the PT26. A 18650 is a good replacement in cause of emergency. The mode-spacing is better when a 18650 is used; I would like to see a fifth mode on this light, because the step between high and turbo is too big. Also I would like to see the same voltage indicator like the PT60 has. And maybe the protection against accidentally turning on could be improved.

But, if you're looking for a quality compact light that has steady big output, its own style and looks and also good powerbank-function: Pick the PT26!

Thanks to MecArmy for providing me the PT26!

Last edited:

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for your comprehensive comparative review.

Head diameter:53mm/2.087in. This is a very nice size classification. My thinking is that the the light would still be compact if the body diameter were a little bit larger to enable the head to have more fuel that it craves.

If a light has a head diameter that is larger than its body diameter, it would be more compact if the head were smaller, of course. The point that I want to make is that the light would still be compact if the body diameter were increased to match the head diameter, thus providing more electricity to get the nine leds up to somewhere in the neighborhood of 6000 lumens.

Thanks again for your quality review of this interesting light!

DMS1970

Enlightened
Thanks for the review. Definitely want to try this one. Love the UI (no press and hold).

Dubois

Enlightened
Nice photos - thank you. I'm not sure that I agree with your wish that in future the instant modes (strobe, SOS) should be available from ON. I have a few of the PT lights, and really like the fact that the UI is identical throughout the series. I'm not a fan, or user, of disco modes. I like MecArmy's compromise that they are available in a few presses of the button from OFF, when I imagine they would be of most use. To have them available from ON would imho, complicate a clean UI, and possible risk accidental activation - something I would hate.

DMS1970

Enlightened
This looks like a great light, I'd love to try one out. UI seems great, instant access to low and turbo, no long press on or off.

i don't have one, but the manker mk34 is only 2mm larger diameter head, and 27mm shorter with more than 2x the lumens! Just to put the size in perspective. Too bad about the press and hold for off...

Last edited: