Searching for a new mini EDC

RedSquirrel

Newly Enlightened
Hello all, I recently lost my valued Nitecore EZ CR2 which had been on my keys for so long it was silver rather than black! :D

I already have the newer "SENS" version but I really don't like the (IMO) dodgy accelerometer function.

So now I'm searching for a new one; I have been searching for days and have shortlisted so many and then removed them for various reasons!

Initially thought AA but now leaning towards RCR123(rechargeable is a must) for compact size.

I have filled in your handy request form and I'm really looking forward to the responses and suggestions.

Here is the completed form:

==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
• This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
• Up to $100.

3) Format:
• I want a flashlight (hand held/self-contained).
• I want a self-contained headlamp.
(Either as long as it is keyring mountable)

4) Size:
• MICRO - Keychain size.
• TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:
• LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

• I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
• I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).

7) What power source do you want to use?
• I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
• I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al) – Preferably RCR123

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
• I want a separate/stand-alone charger (this involves removing the batteries to charge)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).
• ANY (must have moonlight and/or firefly mode)

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.
• All Flood: I am doing "arms length" tasks like reading and campsite cooking.
• Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
• Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
• Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
• 5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
• 30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).
• 3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
• Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
• Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
• I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
• I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
• I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
• I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
• I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
• I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode")
• I want a beacon mode. (Regular flashes at full power to show location.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating
• I don't mind.

15) Water resistance
• IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions
• In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)
• Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.
• Keyring mountable
• Moonlight and/or firefly mode

Thanks in advance to all for replying! :)

RedSquirrel

Newly Enlightened
I have looked at Zebralights and fancy a headtorch version for the ability to clip on to a shirt pocket (rather than using the headband) but the headtorch format ones don't look like they will be very secure or well-fitting on their removable clips on my keys

I love their 0.01 lumens mode though!

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out peakledsolutions.net.
They have a lot of well made lights that use a material called QTC which gives infinitely variable levels.
The Logan 17500 will run on Li-ions and I think they will supply it with a CR123 sized tube.
I'm too clumsy for such a small light, but I bought one to give to a friend and didn't want to part with it.
P

RedSquirrel

Newly Enlightened
I'd also been looking at the Eagletac D25C but I've read mixed reports on its ability to accept rechargeable batteries so it's been ruled out. :(

RedSquirrel

Newly Enlightened
Check out peakledsolutions.net.
They have a lot of well made lights that use a material called QTC which gives infinitely variable levels.
The Logan 17500 will run on Li-ions and I think they will supply it with a CR123 sized tube.
I'm too clumsy for such a small light, but I bought one to give to a friend and didn't want to part with it.
P

They do look interesting, thank you. Can't find any details of runtimes for them and they are based in the USA so knowing my luck I'll get stung by customs!

Does the QTC work similarly to Veleno Designs Quantum D2? I have one of them and quite like it. Just never know how accurate run time estimates are and entering ultra low requires a bit too much tinkering (twisting on and off till it's JUST on!)

wjv

Enlightened
EagleTac TX25C - Tiny CR123 with a turbo head for great throw - available in neutral white

Spark SG-5 - 'AA" - Get the extra lens pack so it can be used as a throw or a flood - available in neutral white
It technically is a headlamp (comes with a head band) but can be used as a flashlight
The Spark SF5 is the more traditional flashlight format

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got an Olight S Mini Ti. rainbow PVD for Christmas and it's a tiny, powerful light with an AW IMR 16340 inside of it.

Moonlight plus L/M//H/Turbo, memory, 10Hz strobe, switch lock-out and a stiff clip, for wearing on a cap (head up carry.)

You have a choice of 6 finishes from $50ish-$80ish. I got my for about $55 shipped.

Chris

RedSquirrel

Newly Enlightened
I got an Olight S Mini Ti. rainbow PVD for Christmas and it's a tiny, powerful light with an AW IMR 16340 inside of it.

Moonlight plus L/M//H/Turbo, memory, 10Hz strobe, switch lock-out and a stiff clip, for wearing on a cap (head up carry.)

You have a choice of 6 finishes from $50ish-$80ish. I got my for about $55 shipped.

Chris

They do look great. Ahh, why do they do them in 3 colours; makes it so hard to decide lol! Do you not find the rainbow version a bit girly/tacky or is it well done?

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thrunite Ti3

I have Sunwayman T16R I am willing to trade...just saying.

RedSquirrel

Newly Enlightened
Thrunite Ti3

I have Sunwayman T16R I am willing to trade...just saying.

The Ti3 actually looks great for the money! And that up to 5 day firefly mode sounds great. I might just have to get that one as an extra! :D Thanks for the recommendation. :)

Last edited:

RedSquirrel

Newly Enlightened
Decided to go for both the Ti3 and the Olight S1 Mini Ti. As cool as it looks I couldn't bring myself to such an expensive rainbow torch in case I didn't like it when it arrived so I went for the much safer bead blasted version!

Found a guy on eBay selling it for £67 but thought I'd be really cheeky and put in a best offer of £50 (expecting a £60 counter offer) and it was accepted! So if anyone fancies one for £50 you should give it a try putting an offer in.

Here is the link I bought it on. Just hope it's 100% genuine!

Link to eBay item: https://goo.gl/b5pD3E

Wasn't sure what RCR123s to get so went for their own on Amazon for £8.90 delivered, I thought that was a good deal! Link to batteries on Amazon: http://amzn.to/2o0MMF0

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
They do look great. Ahh, why do they do them in 3 colours; makes it so hard to decide lol! Do you not find the rainbow version a bit girly/tacky or is it well done?

It looks pretty cool and I don't own anything like it, either in lights or knives, like the Leek and Blur.

In a world of 'black lights' I like the occasional rainbow, titanium, green, blue and grey lights!

The titanium lights are nice, the bead blasted and polished, but I went with 'gaudy' since I'm in Miami--the home of the pink lawn flamingos and neon lights!

Chris

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Decided to go for both the Ti3 and the Olight S1 Mini Ti. As cool as it looks I couldn't bring myself to such an expensive rainbow torch in case I didn't like it when it arrived so I went for the much safer bead blasted version!

Found a guy on eBay selling it for £67 but thought I'd be really cheeky and put in a best offer of £50 (expecting a £60 counter offer) and it was accepted! So if anyone fancies one for £50 you should give it a try putting an offer in.

Wasn't sure what RCR123s to get so went for their own on Amazon for £8.90 delivered, I thought that was a good deal! Link to batteries on Amazon: http://amzn.to/2o0MMF0

Good job. I run red AW IMR 16340s in all of my lipstick lights and they're fine. I have an Efest IMR 16340 in a SWM V11R and it's been fine in very limited use.

You spent a lot of money on that S Mini, so enjoy it!

Chris

RedSquirrel

Newly Enlightened
It looks pretty cool and I don't own anything like it, either in lights or knives, like the Leek and Blur.

In a world of 'black lights' I like the occasional rainbow, titanium, green, blue and grey lights!

The titanium lights are nice, the bead blasted and polished, but I went with 'gaudy' since I'm in Miami--the home of the pink lawn flamingos and neon lights!

Chris

I've definitely got to get a rainbow torch at some point but maybe on a much cheaper torch than the S Mini. Any suggestions for that lol :D

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've definitely got to get a rainbow torch at some point but maybe on a much cheaper torch than the S Mini. Any suggestions for that lol :D

There are some custom jobbies, but mostly I see guys take polished titanium and case harden with with a blow torch, to a degree, for rainbow colors, but I hear that they fade with time.

I wanted the S Mini in raw copper, but one guy nicknamed it the 'hand stinker', or something like that. Black is boring, but cheaper. The Rose Gold is nice, but ehhh, the bead blasted titanium and the polished are pretty pimpy, but I went with gaudy, as I light bright colors.

The 3 titanium versions all have the NW emitter, so that narrowed it down for me, although I wouldn't really call mine a NW tint, just clean white for the most part, but that's all subjective.

It's a cool little light, being so small. I'm a lipstick light guy, so those are what I rotate through on a daily basis. Ven bought me a custom 3Tronics Convoy S2+ triple XP-L HI and it's a blaster with the extra 18350 body. He got me the green one and I love that. It's a wall of light the size of a roll of LifeSavers. A little heavy for the class, but it lights up my parents' backyard like nobody's business.

3Tronics is in the UK.

Chris

RedSquirrel

Newly Enlightened
There are some custom jobbies, but mostly I see guys take polished titanium and case harden with with a blow torch, to a degree, for rainbow colors, but I hear that they fade with time.

I wanted the S Mini in raw copper, but one guy nicknamed it the 'hand stinker', or something like that. Black is boring, but cheaper. The Rose Gold is nice, but ehhh, the bead blasted titanium and the polished are pretty pimpy, but I went with gaudy, as I light bright colors.

The 3 titanium versions all have the NW emitter, so that narrowed it down for me, although I wouldn't really call mine a NW tint, just clean white for the most part, but that's all subjective.

It's a cool little light, being so small. I'm a lipstick light guy, so those are what I rotate through on a daily basis. Ven bought me a custom 3Tronics Convoy S2+ triple XP-L HI and it's a blaster with the extra 18350 body. He got me the green one and I love that. It's a wall of light the size of a roll of LifeSavers. A little heavy for the class, but it lights up my parents' backyard like nobody's business.

3Tronics is in the UK.

Chris

Lol I was worried that a "raw copper" one would be a hand stinker!!

I have one of these little guys (with the trit locators! :D) and for the 5 seconds I touched it to take that photo my fingers smell like I've been swimming in a sea of pennies like Scrooge McDuck lol! :D
TI3dtJP.png

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol I was worried that a "raw copper" one would be a hand stinker!!

I have one of these little guys (with the trit locators! :D) and for the 5 seconds I touched it to take that photo my fingers smell like I've been swimming in a sea of pennies like Scrooge McDuck lol! :D
TI3dtJP.png

Yeah, that's the problem with copper, possible even brass, but I still want something in copper, even if I don't carry it often, but then there's the patina issue. You just don't want to pick your nose after handling one.

Clean, non oxidized copper looks great IMO, but then like old pennies, not so much so. Again IMO. People love it and more power to them, just maybe not my cup of tea and then you need coated ones, which is going to flake off with time and look even more like ***.

Titanium is fine, or even stainless steel.

But if we all liked the same stuff, it would be a boring world.

Chris

RedSquirrel

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, that's the problem with copper, possible even brass, but I still want something in copper, even if I don't carry it often, but then there's the patina issue. You just don't want to pick your nose after handling one.

Clean, non oxidized copper looks great IMO, but then like old pennies, not so much so. Again IMO. People love it and more power to them, just maybe not my cup of tea and then you need coated ones, which is going to flake off with time and look even more like ***.

Titanium is fine, or even stainless steel.

But if we all liked the same stuff, it would be a boring world.

Chris

Ah, mine was actually brass but I guess copper suffers the same smell issues. It's one of these guys (ebay link: https://goo.gl/iAsZim)

I could do with mixing my collection up a bit, it's pretty much 98% black torches with a few exceptions.

RedSquirrel

Newly Enlightened
Guess what arrived today! :)

nwxEOKL.png

Looks like a nice little light. I really wish though that they'd put a little keyring hole on the body rather than having that whole clip on it.

Apart from that it seems great. Glad I didn't pay the full £70 though! :)

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

I'm a new owner of both of these lights and enjoy them both. I've not carried either as of yet though.