Help me identify a component

skillet

Enlightened
The "M" shaped component gave its life when the LiPo battery was connected reversed polarity.. Anyone know what it is?
It's connected between the + and - outputs. The symbol on the board is for a resistor, but that confuses me (which is easily done...)

Before

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1491403441.344182.jpg

After

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1491403666.189927.jpg

Last edited:

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with skl, although I'd lean towards it being used only as a current shunt.

Hard to believe it was destroyed like that! The virtue of this style of current shunt is that it has a very low resistance which dissipates very little power. As a rough estimate, I would think that it would take 100A (or more) to destroy wire that large.

It's not uncommon to install some sort of circuitry to protect against a battery connected with the wrong polarity. Your device either had a poorly designed protection circuit that couldn't protect the shunt, or perhaps it lacked a protection circuit and other parts are damaged too. You might want to check other components in the area too, even if they don't exhibit external signs of damage.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with skl, although I'd lean towards it being used only as a current shunt.

Hard to believe it was destroyed like that! The virtue of this style of current shunt is that it has a very low resistance which dissipates very little power. As a rough estimate, I would think that it would take 100A (or more) to destroy wire that large.

It's not uncommon to install some sort of circuitry to protect against a battery connected with the wrong polarity. Your device either had a poorly designed protection circuit that couldn't protect the shunt, or perhaps it lacked a protection circuit and other parts are damaged too. You might want to check other components in the area too, even if they don't exhibit external signs of damage.
+1