100.000 hours - L90/B10 (Street LED luminaries)

orvar05

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,
I'm relatively new to LED lighting, so I need some guidance.

I recently saw some tenders issued for street lighting (globally) where the requirements for the luminaries were set at 100.000 hours with L90/B10. From a quick search online, I couldn't find any brand/product that could match those. The tenderer was adamant that the requirement wasn't unrealistic but didn't provide any further info.

Does anyone know a brand that can offer such life time (verified)?

Thanks!

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I've seen some claims like that in the past, but assuming I'm not remembering wrong, I'll bet manufacturers are moving away from hour claims for complete luminaires because even if the emitters can sustain that to LM80 or some less strict criteria, there's potential the power supply could fail well before that. Looking on Cree's streetlight page, they seem to stick with 10 year warranties.

If this is for a job you're hoping to bid on for purchase and install, you might try contacting a couple of the manufacturers or their commercial distributors about a quote and providing them with the hardware requirements you're being expected to fulfill. If the requirement is crazy, they will likely be able to tell you so.