New guy looking for EDC suggestions

fatguy7814

Newly Enlightened
I've been wasting a lot of money on flashlights over the years and now I'm finally turning to the experts.

I started EDCing a Streamlight Microstream and I liked the light, but after about two months of carrying and using, the rubber cap came off of the clicker and got lost and I don't like the fact that there are pieces of the light that can come apart and get lost even if it is just a little rubber cap.

Then I picked up a Surefire Titan thinking that with it being a high dollar Surefire light that it was going to be the cats meow.... I love the size and the durability of it and it is what I am currently EDCing but I just not impressed with the light output.

So I'm turning to you guys to recommend me a EDC light that fits these criteria...
- Small pocket carry size (single AA or AAA).
- Most possible light output.
- Durability (I want one that I don't have to worry about dropping or anything, I want to know that when I pull it out of my pocket it is going to work no matter what)
- Price (I'm willing to spend a little on this light, but I'm not into wasting any more money)

I am obviously new to lights and all the lingo that goes along with it, but I can see how this hobby could get carried away but for now I'm just looking for a great EDC light and not looking to build a collection. Thanks in advance and for any and all suggestions.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hello and welcome to CPF .... Your post has been approved, but the thread has been moved to the "Recommend" subforum, where it will get more visibility and appropriate responses.

Please also consider filling out the questionnaire to add further details of your request, as that will help guide and focus the discussion :)

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are your thoughts about:

1. Modes - do you want multiple modes? Or just one?
2. Run time - do you have an idea of how long you want the light to run?
3. The Surefire Titan - you mentioned you weren't happy with the output on high, yes? You're looking for something even brighter than that?

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... I picked up a Surefire Titan thinking that with it being a high dollar Surefire light that it was going to be the cats meow.... I love the size and the durability of it and it is what I am currently EDCing but I just not impressed with the light output.

So I'm turning to you guys to recommend me a EDC light that fits these criteria...
- Small pocket carry size (single AA or AAA).
- Most possible light output.
- Durability (I want one that I don't have to worry about dropping or anything, I want to know that when I pull it out of my pocket it is going to work no matter what)
- Price (I'm willing to spend a little on this light, but I'm not into wasting any more money)

* Which SF Titan ? CR2, CR123A, AAA / HA / aluminum, or AAA / EN / brass ?

* For AA / AAA size, what battery chemistries are you interested in using ?

* Can you be more specific on price ? There are literally flashlights discussed here, in this category, from under $10 to over $1000 ....

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your post is pretty equivocal....if you don't give a price tag, it's somewhat hard to assign a light. It seems you were unsatisfied with the brightness; this being the case, I would look into the TnC flashlights. They have some of the brightest for their sizes, but will set you back ~$200

fatguy7814

Newly Enlightened
What are your thoughts about:

1. Modes - do you want multiple modes? Or just one?
2. Run time - do you have an idea of how long you want the light to run?
3. The Surefire Titan - you mentioned you weren't happy with the output on high, yes? You're looking for something even brighter than that?

Sorry I'm late getting back here, I just found my post.

I like the idea of multiple modes for saving battery life on menial task.
Run time isn't a huge issue, because AAA/AA batteries are pretty cheap.
I honestly wasn't aware that my titan had different outputs, I just pull it out of my pocket and twist it on, and I would like to have a little more light.

fatguy7814

Newly Enlightened
* Which SF Titan ? CR2, CR123A, AAA / HA / aluminum, or AAA / EN / brass ?

* For AA / AAA size, what battery chemistries are you interested in using ?

* Can you be more specific on price ? There are literally flashlights discussed here, in this category, from under $10 to over $1000 ....

My titan is the single AAA keychain model.
I'll be using mostly regular ol energizer batteries.
Budget ideally would be around $50, but I would spend up to $100 on a sure enough good light.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is your Titan the black, or the silver?

If you still have the Titan, turn it on, turn it off and then back on very quickly. I'm trying to gauge your thoughts on the light output at the higher mode.

Zepp

Newly Enlightened
If the SF Titan doesn't work out for you, there is always the SF Titan Plus. It is the silver model, same AAA form factor but its output levels are 15/75/300 lumens whereas the regular Titan is 15/125. The Plus cost a bit more -- $90 US.

joelbnyc

Enlightened
If you want lots of brightness in AAA or AA, you want a 3.7/4.2V Li Ion (10440 AAA size, 14500 is AA size). If you don't know this already, these are used in vaporizers, little drones, etc.

10440: I like the Ultratac K18 with an Efest IMR 350mAh cell. Advertised at 360 lumens but I think it was reviewed as even higher. It's just $20-30, plus ~$6 for a couple cells, and ~$12 for an Xtar hummingbird charger. Comes in a nice polished Stainless.

I love my Olight i3s CU brass but it's not rated for 10440 cells, tops out at 180 lumens which is still bright for 1.2V, but it's not on my keychain. Some people put a 3.7V cell in it, but I'm not going to risk it.

14500: I use the Manker E11, it's $30, 800 lumens, requires an unprotected cell, like Efest IMR 650mAh button top or 700mAh flat top. It seems almost as bright as some 18650 lights. I looked at the Klarus Mi7 as well. Lots of AA lights but not a ton are safe with 14500 cells.

These are 'production' lights, you could spend much more for custom lights or exotic metals, etc.

Last edited:

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're looking for a single AAA flashlight that is either a single mode with a high output, or a multi-mode that starts off in high.

Most multi-mode lights start off on the low setting, so I'll list two single mode AAA lights that will probably fit your criteria:

1. The Olight I3E EOS in silver. About $15, boasts 125 lumen output for 35 minutes.
2. The Thrunite T01. About $10, with 125 lumen output for 40 minutes.

fatguy7814

Newly Enlightened
How did the Titan work out?

I messed around with it last night and never did notice any change.
I turned it on and off several times and several ways and even tried new batteries. No difference that I could tell.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I messed around with it last night and never did notice any change.
I turned it on and off several times and several ways and even tried new batteries. No difference that I could tell.

You may want to contact SureFire, if you are certain that quick reactivation of the switch is not changing levels :(

And I don't think you get the 350lm from the SL ProTac 1L-1AA, running on AA ....

Last edited:

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just in my own research, I'm leaning towards this streamlight. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G75P1SC/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Anyone here familiar with this one, or is there something better at the same price point?

The way I see it is (and correct me if I'm wrong) it's 350 lumens on a single AA, from a reputable company for just over $40.

Check the specs again - 350 is off a CR123. With a single AA, you're looking at 150 lumens. That said, Streamlight isn't a bad company, and if you like it, go for it. Worst case, give the flashlight a thorough test once you get it, and return it if you're not satisfied.

• 350 Lumens On High with 1.5 Hours Run Time with CR123A Lithium Battery
  • Uses One CR123A Lithium Battery, One AA Alkaline OR AA Lithium Batteries
  • 150 Lumens On High and 1.3 Hours Run Time with AA Alkaline Batteries
  • 150 Lumens On High With AA Lithium Batteries: Run Time is 4.25 Hours
  • Durable, Anodized Aluminum Construction

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 1L-1AA is a very good light, the difference running on AA's compared to CR123's is not as big as the lumen numbers make it seem; and you can get longer run times with AA's (especially Energizer L91 ultimate lithiums). I run mine mostly on AA Eneloops. Highly recommended.