Is anyone spinning their Spin Tops?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Recently I purchased a Vorso MK1 brass from Massdrop, my first finger spin top. Am interested in hearing from spin top owners how they are spinning their tops, which surfaces are best, length of their spins, etc.

Bill

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Only recently became aware of these, but the favorite seems to be glass lenses with a gradual curve.

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great thread Bill these have been on my wish list. Can't wait to read more. Excited!! When I came across this picture I knew I would be hooked. Not wanting to just purchase one before hearing feedback from those who are in the know.

screengrab

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Thanks guys for responding.The other spin top thread shows some awesome examples of art work. Want to hear from those folks how their tops are working for them. Also, want to hear from any one who enjoy spinning their tops.

Bill

RGRAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I started collecting top 10/20/16.
These are my BILLETSPIN tops.

These are my other tops.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Nice collection, indeed. What are the longest spinning tops in your collection?

Bill

RGRAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice collection, indeed. What are the longest spinning tops in your collection?

Bill

Bill, all the BILLETSPIN tops spin great (these are works of art).
The Vorso MK1 copper with ruby ball spins as well as the Prometheus copper with ruby ball both spin great.

I just found one more BILLETSPIN top the ROTOR basketweave damascus/copper.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife broke the concave mirror I was using so I haven't spun mine yet. Have to remember to stop at Walmart tomorrow. Of course Mrs nosy is going to have a million questions when I buy a mirror out of the blue...

RGRAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, one more BILLETSIN the CROWN flamed ss ss.

Shooter21

Enlightened
Check out this perfect spin on one of the most difficult billetspin tops to spin straight.

This baby on the bottom is called the Nexus which is a two piece Tungsten/7068 Aluminum top and it's capable of getting 30+ minute spin times but my record with it is 27 minutes.
To get the best spins you wanna make sure you spin the top vertically as straight as possible and make sure the lens you're using is slightly concave with a coating of oil from your nose or forehead.

Last edited:

Esko

Enlightened
This baby on the bottom is called the Nexus which is a two piece Tungsten/7068 Aluminum top and it's capable of getting 30+ minute spin times but my record with it is 27 minutes.
To get the best spins you wanna make sure you spin the top vertically as straight as possible and make sure the lens you're using is slightly concave with a coating of oil from your nose or forehead.

:sigh:

I haven't been following Billetspin because the tops are (quite) a bit too expensive for me :broke: and I am more interested in maximal spinning time than maximal artistic look. However, I could have justified this purchase, if I just knew about it. I didn't know and now they are gone. :( I hope Rich finds a good solution to the balancing issue and releases another spinning time optimized top somewhere in near future. And, of course, announces it via email list (subscribed now). I am not in facebook and it seems that most of the communication is done there. The group is not publicly visible. For example, the webpage says that the next top is launched in less than a day (22 hours and counting) but there seems to be no information about the new release, no information about what will be released. Just the release time.

Anyway, I have a lambda top, the older standard version (aluminum + brass) with a ruby. It is on a slightly concave mirror on my desk and every now and then I spin it. I used to measure the spinning times when the top was new and the spins varied between 8-10 minutes, with a maximum of ~10:30 or so.

The mirror diameter is ~16 cm with a magnification of x3 or so. Three legs ("suction cups") make it stable. I used to dream of a stone spinning base, perhaps made of granite. However, mirrors are pretty good looking and cheap and I doubt that there would be any noticeable difference in spinning times with harder surface material. Glass is also safer for the ruby so I am happy with this solution. Should buy another (smaller) base though.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Semi-related: Not sure if you guys are aware, but the A-number-1 hottest seller on Amazon right now is spinning fidgets; people are ordering from international shippers just to get their hands on them. The original models were simple plastic things, but they are very quickly evolving to much more elaborate metal designs, something to definitely keep an eye on as these will become collector's items..

rzO7dBD.jpg

Latest posts