• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Haiku 119 with XML reflector

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure others have tried this but I thought I'd put it out there. It's a really nice beam, the XPG2 would also be nice I'm sure.
My current favourite McGizmo general use light is a Haiku 119V 3S with XML reflector on a 2AA body.
Anyone else using this LED/reflector combo?

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
No one trying this?
The XML (old XRE) reflector really does make a nice beam with the 119.
I've been using the 123 body more than the 2AA body recently.
Still haven't found a more recent LED (Nichia B or C etc) with a nicer light than Don's 119(A).

nbp

Flashaholic
Sorry, have not tried this. I have a Haiku with 1x123 body and a datiLED Nichia 219 LE in an XP-G reflector. Also have a Haiku with 1xAA body and a McG Nichia 119 LE with AA converter. Different lights but both awesome!

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does the reflector matter. Right now I have two extra McGizmo LE's, one is AA and the other a 6v, both Nichia. Is there any issue using these with the XML reflector as opposed to the XPG reflector?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
How does the reflector matter. Right now I have two extra McGizmo LE's, one is AA and the other a 6v, both Nichia. Is there any issue using these with the XML reflector as opposed to the XPG reflector?

If you are happy with the beam pattern and provided the o-ring is in place and the solder pads are not capable of shorting out on the reflector (true in both reflectors) then you will be fine. The XPG/ 119 reflector was designed specifically for the smaller LED's and image location (z- axis) relative to the plane of the MCPCB. The XML reflector was originally used on the XRE but lends itself well the the XML.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are happy with the beam pattern and provided the o-ring is in place and the solder pads are not capable of shorting out on the reflector (true in both reflectors) then you will be fine. The XPG/ 119 reflector was designed specifically for the smaller LED's and image location (z- axis) relative to the plane of the MCPCB. The XML reflector was originally used on the XRE but lends itself well the the XML.

Yeah, what Don said.
I like both beams (XPG and XML reflector with 119V). The XML reflector with the 119V is a great way to get a floody more even beam but maintain that great tint and CRI than resorting to the XML LED.

Duster1671

Enlightened
F89 - Do you have any beamshots of the 119V in the XML reflector? I'm interested in seeing what the floodier beam looks like.

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
F89 - Do you have any beamshots of the 119V in the XML reflector? I'm interested in seeing what the floodier beam looks like.
@Duster1761 Beam shots as requested.

Comparing XML and XPG reflectors. This is using an XPG-2 at 4000K
Top image is XML reflector. The bottom may be off balance due to cellphone pic, but there is a big difference between the two. Also on higher levels, there is a little more lighted "spill " with the XPG reflector.

ecZY0AC.jpg

R1dghnx.jpg

Last edited:

Duster1671

Enlightened
greatscoot - Awesome, thanks for the shots. The beam from the XML reflector looks very nice for general purpose use. It's more often that I use a small light like this to light up an area at closer range than to spot a particular object at some distance. I wouldn't want 100% flood, just something that errs to that side.

I'm curious if the 119V would produce about the same beam through the XML reflector. Will that combination produce a ring around the spill?