Harnessing The Power of the (47's) Atom

pc_light

Enlightened
I was in the market for a new headlamp so I decided to pick up the FourSevens Atom AL, the idea of a headlamp that could be quickly removed for use as a handheld sounded promising. Never having owned a mule I wasn't sure what to expect. With a reflector flashlight, the Atom AL's (cr123a) spec of 110 lumens on High should have been plenty. I was not prepared for reality with the Atom which was a little different.

On High I found the Atom AL acceptably bright for most tasks, a little more punch would have been fine too. The Low setting, on the other hand was limited to use during pitch blackness and/or for slowly moving about. Runtimes of 3-3.5 hours of flat regulated output on High using a primary (more using a rechargeable) and days of regulated output on Low was GREAT though.

The main problem wasn't light output, it was the excessively broad spill of the mule that frankly wasted a lot of light for my needs. I didn't need the upward lighting, nor the super wide left and right that was beyond my personal field-of-view, and worst was directed into the eyes of people who might be facing my general direction.Perhaps others had the same experience which was why FourSevens subsequently came out with the special reflectored model of Atoms, so I picked up an Atom AAF (an Atom AA with reflector), to try. To my disappointment, the special low profile reflector chosen for the Atom looked and projected just like my Quark Mini-AA. Still there's no point in living with a light that doesn't meet your needs, just move-it-out or mod-it-up, that's the CPF way!

I needed a beam half way between a hotspot reflector and the overly wide mule, perhaps an optic. But most optics are still too narrow or have funny beam patterns. I decided to try a plane convex (speherical) lens, like those found on inexpensive zoomies. As there was no off-the-shelf lens I could drop into the light, I got one sized as close as I could then sanded it down to fit into the Atom.

So, with the stock Atom AL as a control and the Atom AAF retrofitted with a convex lens, I made some comparisons of their relative brightness. The photos below show the results of putting a simple convex lens into the Atom.

Some background details to put the results in context.
-------------------------------------------------------------
The Atom AL (w/cr123a) (on left oem Mule)
- High = 110 Lumens
- Low = 6 lumens

The Atom AA (AA w/alkaline) (on right w/convex lens)
- High = 70 Lumens
- Low = 1.5 lumens

7Ke3O0P.jpg

(Since I had the lights opened, I swapped the cool XP-G2's with a Hi-CRI Nichia 219b and 219c (4000K) as a bonus :))

Atom AL mule on low @6 Lumens (left) vs Atom AA+lens on low @1.5 lumens (right) -
(due to the wide nature of mule beams, lights were only 6-inches from wall)
RKPIVaR.jpg

The photos don't show the full extent of the AL mule spill but the area is many times that of the lensed AA+ light. Yet, the illuminated areas of the lights have similar levels of intensity even though one light is supposedly outputting 4X the lumens (6 vs 1.5 lm) of the other.

When both lights are on High the illuminated portion of the 110-lumen AL mule (left) appears no brighter (actually less) than the 70-lumen AA+ (on right). The difference in person was greater than what may be evident in the photo.
hbHUkQP.jpg

Here is a profile of the beams showing the relative angles and thus the respective area being illuminated.
The AL in it's original form is spec'd as 120° (left), whereas the AA with lens (right) is now reduced to about 70°.
ij0ItbC.jpg

What's Going 'On?
--------------------
Basic geometry indicates that the area created by a 120° projection is 6X that of the area created by a 70° projection. Assuming this relationship transfers directly to the math involved with calculating area illumination, "harnessing" the light that was previously spread over the wider area should be 6X brighter when the same lumens are focused down to the reduced area created by the narrower lens beam (increased lux) . The photos (2 prior) of the AL (120°) vs the AF+ (70°) seem to bear this out, with the higher output AL (6 lm) appearing no brighter (actually less) than the lower output AF+ (1.5 lm) in the illuminated areas.

Results of adding a simple convex lens to The Atom AA mule
------------------------------------------------------------------------
GAINS -
- the illuminated portions on High now appear brighter
- the Low is brighter and more useable for my purposes, and
- the narrower angle means I no longer inadvetantly shine at people in my peripheral.

LOSSES -
- a smaller overall area being illuminated,
- the loss of a low moonlight mode,
- loss of some water tightness as my lens was hand-filed and not perfectly round (a small lathe would have useful).
- ability to stand either end, tail only now due to bump out from convex lens

On balance, I like the brighter narrower, but by no means narrow, light produced by the lens. When used as a headlight, my entire field-of-view (70°) is comfortably illuminated. The difference is particularly noticeable on low and/or during close-up tasks. I was pleased enough with the results that I decided to purchase an additional Atom. ;)

Last edited:

vinsanity286

Newly Enlightened
Great mod. I have always been a fan of the light produced from a convex lens focused for flood. The light always looks nice and sharp and provides more light than a mule but without the blinding hot spot of a reflector.

I would also recommend the ledil lisa 2 "w" (wide) tir type optic. It is extremely small being only 10 mm in diameter and provide a perfectly even flood that has some real punch. They can be found at placed like digikey or mouser.

pc_light

Enlightened
...I would also recommend the ledil lisa 2 "w" (wide) tir type optic.
Yes, it's a win-win because the concentrated beam is still plenty wide is brighter as well!

Thanks for the info on Ledil's . I might try one on my next order from Mouser or Digikey. The few I spied on Digikey seem to all be 10mm, that might work in the AA. Ideally would need somthing slightly larger for the AL.

Got any beam shots of a light with them in?

vinsanity286

Newly Enlightened
I will work on beam shots. The ledil "tina" is a larger 16mm (iirc) optic that may be just what you are looking for.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Interesting! I'm going to put some diffuser film on my Atom ALF and see how the beam works out... I've done the same with my Mini ML, with good results for headlamp use with the 360 headband. Since 4/7s has apparently discontinued the Atoms with reflectors, a TIR design would be a great addition to that line.

pc_light

Enlightened
Very nice work here [emoji106]
Thanks. I was surprised myself by how well the optics worked out. It reined in the ultra-wide mule beam and bumped up the lux levels as well. The neutral tint was just icing on the cake :)

Interesting! I'm going to put some diffuser film on my Atom ALF and see how the beam works out... I've done the same with my Mini ML, with good results for headlamp use with the 360 headband. Since 4/7s has apparently discontinued the Atoms with reflectors, a TIR design would be a great addition to that line.
Hmmm, this sounds promising because my AAF beam was much like my Mini-AA beam before I lensed it.

Please do share some photos of the ALF with diffuser film; I don't have any film but I'd be interested in loss of light vs broadening of the hotspot. The optic claims 90% transmission and from what I recall the various diffusion films popular on CPF report only a 3-5% reduction, which would be better for total output if the beam comes close enough.

Foursevens could easily add an optic, I think I even noticed a very slight curve on the original Atom-AL (mule) lens, it's just not enough of a curve to coral the beam.
(BTW, Foursevens has the AAF and ALF on Clearance, so get'em while u can. :sssh:)

Last edited:

pc_light

Enlightened
The results of adding a simple convex lens to the Atom AA were successful enough that I decided to convert/add a lens to my Atom AL mule as well. Below are the white wall hunt trophy photos comparing the Atom AL (110 lmn) "before" and "after" adding a lens, against the previously posted Atom AA+lens (70 lmn).
xnF6zH0.jpg

In it's original form WITHOUT LENS, the Atom AL (110 lmn @left) illuminates a larger area but the lux level does not appear any brighter than the Atom AA+lens (70 lmn @right), which is should be.
hbHUkQP.jpg

With Lens added, the Atom AL+ (left) once again appears brighter than the Atom AA+, as the specs would indicate.
suwEGPn.jpg

(Note - While I tried to keep many conditions the same (distances from wall, camera exposure, etc.) there were differences. In addition to the obvious model battery chemistry difference, AA-alkaline vs cr123a, my lights were reflowed with slightly different emitters due to what I had on hand. In my original Atom AA+ I used a Nichia 219c D240 emitter whereas in the subsequent Atom AL+ I used a 219b D220, which is a 10% lower flux bin ranking. This should close the brightness gap between the AA+ and the AL+ by 10%, a small difference to the naked eye but nonetheless a difference.)

If ronniepudding's suggestion about diffuser film works as well enough (or better!) for spreading the hotspot to a broader mule-like beam that would be that way to go for easily converting an Atom F reflector model. A convex lens would still be the thing for an Atom mule model since it harnesses the spread.

:help: Now that I know this works, I'd like to clean up my handy work with properly re-sized lens, so if ANYONE has practical ideas on how to turn down an optic without the use of a lathe, PLEASE suggest. Something that will permit me to smoothly reduce the diameter of an acrylic lens.

My thinking for right now is to try to rig something up using my small drillpress to mimic the features of a lathe with head- and tail-stocks only vertical. I was hoping for something novel and perhaps simpler. :help:

Last edited: