Light for visibility: Fenix CL05, Nitecore LA10, Glo-toob AAA, or something else?

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
Hi, I hope I'm posting this in the right section. I'm visually impaired with terrible night vision. I normally attach a Glo-toob Lithium to my dog to make her more visible to me and other people. Now I'm looking for a second, similar light, but preferably a bit more compact. It's for attaching to me, my dog or my daughter, purely for visibility.

What I've found so far is the Fenix CL05, the Nitecore LA10 and the Glo-toob AAA. What all of these lights have in common is that they don't require lithium cells to operate, and for my specific use case, that's a plus. Lithium primaries are fairly expensive here.

The pros and cons of the different lights:
Fenix CL05: cheap, multiple colors, very compact, decent blinky modes for visibility, but not a lot of modes or levels, not the best output*runtime
Nitecore LA10: I like the option of using it as a flashlight, AA gives better runtime, bright, but no proper flashing modes and 10 lumens isn't that low of a low, a bit expensive and I'm not sure how well the retracting diffuser holds up over time, especially on the dog
Glo-toob AAA: reasonable price, compact, presumably very durable, but no slow blinkies like the lithium version

Are there other alternatives that I should consider? What are your experiences with these lights?

Last edited:

Subterrestrial

Newly Enlightened
In my opinion, I feel like the Fenix CL05 would best suit your needs. I hang it off the back of my EDC pack when I'm riding my bike at night. The red and green modes might not seem that bright at 2 and 5 lumens respectively, but at close range they seem pretty bright to my eyes. Runtime is not that bad if you're just running it a bit each night, especially if you are using a blink mode. As for the white light mode, again 8 lumens doesn't seem like a lot but it works for close range. It also has a crab-clip (is that what they're called?) for easy attachment and removal.

The Nitecore LA10 is great as well and doubles as a close-range flooder, but I feel like it's better suited as a backpacking and emergency EDC lantern and would probably be bit unwieldy attached to your dog's collar.

I'm only passingly familiar with Glo-toob. They're usually used as marker light for diving, so unless you walk a lot in the rain or are worried about it being dropped in water it's probably not the most ideal solution.

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
Perhaps I should have mentioned that this should me able to attach not only to the clothing of a small child, but also on top of a dog harness (this one specifically)
I've looked at stuff like this before, but they usually aren't very bright, which is an issue with my visual impairment, don't take rechargeable cells, and generally aren't very durable, which is important with a dog that runs through bushes, enters underground holes and occasionally swims.

PartyPete

Enlightened
I've owned a Fenix CL05 for the past year, so I can only speak for it but I think it's a fine beacon type light.

The run times aren't amazing, however on moonlight, the lowest setting, I think you can manage something like 30 hours. I've used it as an impromptu night light for my child and after about 3 nights I'll have to charge the battery, so it seems on par with what Fenix claims.

The colored modes are handy but not long lasting. I think maybe between 3 to 6 hours perhaps, but I haven't viewed the specs in awhile.

I do like it for the multiple modes, but the design isn't my favorite. Still, it comes in handy as I've used it as a keychain light, for hiking, dog walking, night travel, Halloween activities etc. At first glance it might not have a lot of conventional uses, but still nice to have.